Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Weber no longer producing octave Gallatins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W6Ej0vB5-0
  2. Re: NEW Kentucky KM906 - end pin fell out (only owned it 3 months

Personally, I apply a very small dab of glue to the endpin then push it in snug and give it a slight twist, maybe 10-15 degrees. My view is that the potential for catastrophic damage due to an...
  3. Re: Renaissance lute and baroque guitar I've built

Thanks! The sides are sapele and the back is London plane.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Source of bone for bandolim bridges

Sterilized cow bone from the pet store. Should be under $3, and one will be enough to make many bridges, or at least a few if they need to be taller. Cutting them can be a challenge. I usually cut...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Support you Local Lumberyard

172297 I've also really liked searching for local lumberyard wood. Attached picture is birch, not maple, but there is a strong precedence for mandolins with birch backs, thanks to early Gibsons. I've...
  6. Replies
    Views

Not to take anything away from your beautiful instrument, but big box stores charge 2-4x more for basic maple than a real wood supplier does. They make it seem cheap by listing it by the linear foot,...
  7. Replies
    Views

A really, really long maple fret board with very "light" frets?
    Couldn't resist. :whistling:

Wow. Picture shows some fine figuring, I know, photos of bare wood can't do it justice, but wow.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Top plate: Exposing the scroll block?

I think you are referring to the practice of using a "riser block". It is a piece of wood, usually the same species as the side wood, that is glued directly to the head block and the top wood meets...
  9. Re: In need of help identifying recent library donation.

Mick -- fine, it's not a Larson.

However, I really do resent the tone of your reply. I did a bit of research, found that "Champion" was a brand identified with Robert Maurer of Chicago, who was...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe doesn't swing!

Chris Henry has put a lot of study into Monroe's style. He has his own style of course, but is quite adept at replicating Bill's. I think this short video (which has been discussed here dozens of...
  11. Re: Breakdown in communications - oddball response - am I nuts?

...or tuning a mandolin :mandosmiley:
  12. Replies
    Views

Cumberland Acoustics - much praise

Well, I spent this past Saturday with Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics, and wanted to share how great the experience was. I've had my Weber Bitteroot-A for a while now, and always suspected it...
  13. Re: Breakdown in communications - oddball response - am I nuts?

On my grandparents gravestone is the family motto: Love each other and be brave. I always interpreted "love each other" as to respect everyone, not matter how crazy they are, and apply the golden...
  14. Thread: Tin ear

by John Flynn
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tin ear

I am 64 and have been playing guitar for over 45 years, mandolin for over 25 years. First, if you are actively playing music, if you can hear when something is out of tune, if you can tell one tune...
  15. Principles of Shape Lesson 1: Surface control

Principles of Shape

Lesson 1: Surface Control

For Becky

The notion of surface control came to mind while shaping the nut on a Lafferty mandolin this afternoon. This is natural to my hands...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: More bark anyone?

I don't find any of these punsters to be criminal. I guess I can now consider them to be "imMaturin".
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Forster Session King Tenor

Cedrela is what they make the necks of good Spanish guitars with - it's somewhere between a softwood and a hardwood. Perfect for the sound I want from a tenor. This is the guitar:

18. Bryan McDowell on A Mendel Octave, with Claire Lynch

Ian Gray, Claire Lynch's husband, sent me this video of Claire and Bryan McDowell doing "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" with the octave they got from me a couple of years ago. I had the opportunity...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's your favourite CBOM player???

Donal Lunny of course, but there is Daoiri Farrell previously mentioned. A great singer as well and will be out here in Australia around Easter. The fascinating thing about the bouzouki is that there...
  20. Replies
    Views

New Tom Kimber video - Session King tenor

Tom Kimber went around to see Ian Stephenson today to record a video on the new SK tenor which will be on its way to the US in a day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trSkUnZEP7c

nigel...
  21. Tenor Guitar category added to Classifieds

We felt the time was right to open up a dedicated Tenor Guitar category in the Classifieds. Not a lot of action there but in looking these over they were appearing either in Guitars, Other, Wanted,...
  22. Silverangel #359 Redwood vs. #363 Adirondack Spruce (Video)

I decided to put together a little "side by side" comparison video of my two Silverangel F's. The first is about a year old and has a Redwood top. The other, is a recent build that is only a few...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Reverse curl mandolins

Yeah I thought it made a lot of sense too. Kind of like how Henry Ford turned all his wood scraps and crates into Kingsford charcoal, making use of what would otherwise be trash.

I found a few...
  24. Replies
    Views

Wayfaring Stranger Mongolian Throat Cover

Maybe bluegrass has some Mongolian roots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5oHBMo1pQk
  25. Replies
    Views

Kala tenor guitar

Have picked up a Kala Tenor guitar and played it for a few days now. Really enjoying this instrument. I come from baritone ukulele, so I have it tuned DGBe. The instrument is well made, I did not...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3