Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Ivan ,,, without a doubt your prognosis is a tough one to fathom .
    It is a hard one to even believe.
    I note that you still have motivation based on the fact that you jumped right on the task of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Ivan, words can seems so empty at a time like this. You are in my thoughts.
  3. Re: Javonda Wilson: Bill Monroe and Friends: Inside the Life of B

Did you mean by Javonda Charlene Smith? Yes, she did live with Monroe on the farm for many years (1989 - 1994) taking care of his daughter Melissa, the farm animals, the house and Bill's personal...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: First F mandolins

well, since Bill was the first and he played an F, its an F. I believe there may be pictures of Monroe with a Gibson oval, but that was pre bluegrass.
  5. Information about Weber, Flatiron and Gibson Instruments

We recently discovered players can no longer obtain information on Weber instruments built prior to 2013 from the Weber company. Mary and I would be happy to help with any questions or concerns you...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How snug is the best fit for a case?

A few years ago, I bought a new Travelite, and it was so tight on my Northfield that I was afraid that I would have to perform surgery on it to get the mandolin in and out without stressing about it....
  7. Replies
    Views

New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

Dennis Vance just posted this on Facebook with the caption
    "here's the new Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model"

Let the wrangling begin!

...If for sale I LUST for one...LOL!

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Hughes F-5 #6

Point well taken Ivan. This (and most all my little demo vids) were taken in my kitchen using my antique android phone. I agree that I need to find a better system to show them off. It's not really a...
  9. Thread: Grommets

by Jim DeSalvio
    Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets

In all honesty, on most mandolins with a good tailpiece, most likely the grommets are not needed. I like the look of them, or the leather shoelace used by others. I bought my grommets from Elderly.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Was Bill Monroe The First?

I feel like I need to state clearly, Bill Monroe was GREAT and his influence felt worldwide, musically.

11. Replies
    Views

Adam Steffey is Back

Read about it here ...

https://bluegrasstoday.com/adam-steffey-is-back-with-volume-five
  12. Replies
    Views

Turning endpins without lathe? No problem!

Hey folks, today I decided to make my own endpins to use up the ebony scrap I have after making fingerboards and bridges. I hate to throw away usable pieces of wood.
    I managed to do it using just...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Was Bill Monroe The First?

Well we can extend the concept to many other people and things. Like if Lloyd Loar hadn't been born would we even have the Gibson F5 Master Model design we have today? Makes me think of the Nobel...
  14. Re: replacement rubber feet for eastman fiberglass case?

Some companies are not like that and know the value of good customer service. Many years ago the Eastman rep was very active on this site. I posted a lot about their bowlback cases and he was able to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Hughes F-5 #6

Here's the latest F-5 mandolin I just finished up. Walnut body and neck with red spruce top. Short neck per the customers request along with vine inlay on the radius fretboard. Speed necked as well....
  16. Re: Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Eric Idle's Guitar Case!

Entertaining video. I had to look it up to discover that 'spastic', which in British English is extremely offensive, in American English is not at all so. So I learned something new, too.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

Sam has an old hand/wrist injury and makes great music by unique technique and compensating. I'd emulate Sierra. (Although I love Sam's muting techniques.):)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Dang Thing Busted

Agree with John. Terrible looking neck wood. Does not look like maple at all. More of a reddish hue, like “mahogany” (perhaps nato considering point of origin?). Also, the grain should be running...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: "New" Gibson Company: No More Mandolins?

I noticed mandolins weren't listed yesterday so I called Gibson customer service. The rep I spoke with said they certainly were still producing mandolins and checked the webpage himself. When he...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Dang Thing Busted

If the picture shows what I think it shows... I've seen some really bad wood choices in necks, but never worse than this one.
    Considering the value of the instrument, I would not consider this one...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap tuning

Fast Fourier Transform. Google it.
  22. Replies
    Views

There is a lot of educated guessing and trial and error involved in music instrument building. Some people call the educated guessing intuition. It is empirical in that you don't need to understand...
  23. Thread: Skaggs

by Demetrius
    Replies
    Views

Skaggs

Hey there!

Just in case you haven't seen this yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYZ_1K5fQ2k

Best,
    Dem
  24. Re: The bible of monroe is released by tom ewing

Just finished. Thanx to my son Dave for the Xmas present.

Definitely an "insider's" look at Monroe's later years, when Ewing was in and out of the band. Frank discussion of M's personal life,...
  25. Thread: Tap tuning

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

No sophisticated measurements of stiffness, just judgement and experience. I weigh tops and backs and try to get a good relationship of weight and stiffness to gauge how to carve the top and back for...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4