Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

I email Mike and if I'm not mistaken they should have them in 9 months or so.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

I just googled Skip since I have been wanting to get some of his mandolin-centric albums and looks like he has all of them available on his website! Gonna have to pick those up!
  3. Gibson Ricky Skaggs Distressed Master Model - My New Mandolin

I have been wanting a Gibson Distressed mandolin for some time and just waiting on the right one to come along. I know this is not the regular Distressed model, but the Ricky Skaggs Distressed. As...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My Great-Grandpa's Mandolin

Bill, thanks so much for the WAMA link -- Winlock will be quite a hike for me, but I checked out the website and it sounds like a blast, and a great learning opportunity. I'm hoping to be ready to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 vs. Gibson F5 vs. Collings MF5

I think calling what I had done to my Florida a 'mutilation' is a little bit extreme. I just had a few millimeters of 'Florskin' removed.
  6. Re: Duff Mandolin owners in the Southwest USA

Nick,

I indeed remember Dasspunk´s post about his new Duff.

I have heard a very early Duff (maybe late 80ies) that sounded okay (Greasy Beans, Charley Brophey mand. on tour at the EWOB some 10...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What would you pay for a Gibson today?

Oh what would you pay? (In exchange), Oh what would you pay? (In exchange), What would you pay for a Gibson today...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill monroe instrumentals

Fiddler's Pastime is one that Vassar Clements and Monroe wrote together. It is on Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "Roasted Wood"

Ask Frank Wakefield about roasted wood.
  10. Re: Dave Rawlings Machine doing "Off to California".

I used to enjoy calling out Stairway to Heaven at the bluegrass jam, and then playing the Ralph Stanley song by that name. It's a sweet gospel tune and easy enough for folks to learn on the fly....
  11. Re: Not "Wagon Wheel" again - are there other popular band songs?

Jams where certain songs are banned seem odd to me; if someone had suggested Foggy Mountain Breakdown or Rocky Top, would the answer have been the same? I resurrected Fox On the Run at a join-in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 or 28?

I would be the complete opposite. It's interesting how subjective the perception of tone can be.

b
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Scooped fretboard ext.

The action on Bills' Loar was a great deal higher than most folks are used to.
  14. Re: Dave Rawlings Machine doing "Off to California".

"Off to California" is actually one of the handful of Irish tunes I can play. It would be funny to incorporate it into the Led Zeppelin song.
    I have some friends up in Charlottesville Va, who...
  15. Re: Not "Wagon Wheel" again - are there other popular band songs?

When I was playing in a duo, mostly classic country, we got a lot of requests for this when the movie was out and for ever after. The request was most often phrased, "Hey, play 'O Brother.'" Every...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 or 28?

Fantastic video example. The difference illustrates exactly the difference I typically hear. I think both of those are straight braced guitars, so that factor may be removed from the equation.
    The...
  17. Replies
    Views

Sam Bush Fern '34 LE

Hi this is my new Gibson Sam Bush Fern '34 Limited Edition arrived last thursday. It is a great mandolin with incredible chop! It's a "Hoss"!!!

I like to know other owners of this fantastic...
  18. Thread: R L Givens

by Rob Griffin
    Replies
    Views

This is a story of luck, generosity, and how I...

This is a story of luck, generosity, and how I have become a happy Givens owner again. In 1978 I bought a Givens A. I'm not sure what model number it is. I sold the mandolin to a friend of mine about...