Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios vs. Pentatonic scale

I have been attempting to do the same thing as you for quite a while now, and ran into the same problem. When the changes came too fast, or the speed of the tune was too fast, I would dump the arps...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: selling my mandolin

I like USPS money order.
  3. Re: Rhonda Vincent & The Rage. Her Mandolin setup.

I saw her recently in Marion, NC. Despite enough rain to dampen anyone's spirits, she put on a very entertaining show with high energy and a tight and talented band, both instrumentally and vocally....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My humble, beautiful Eastman MD305

Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy your fine mandolin for a long time to come. You made an excellent choice.
  5. Re: Sometimes it's best just to get a drink of water...

I agree, but I think the talk should not come after one's been doing a slow burn. For one's own sake, it should come after a long and calming drink of water and privately, if possible. About a year...
  6. Re: Swannanoa Fiddle, Banjo, & Mandolin Week- going?

Swannanoa was awesome. What a splendid camp. I like very much the instructional model, having the same instructor on a defined topic for each of the five days. You could take up to four classes,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Kaufman Kamp 2013--Who's Going?

You're in for wonderful time, bigskygirl. I agree with the others about beginning mandolin, rather than 101. I look forward to meeting you. I'll be playing a Phoenix two point with a blingy...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Kentucky KM-172. Is it defective?

I'm aware of the advice he asked for and the advice he got. He's not required to take advice, nor once he chooses, should there be hmmphing over advice untaken. IMO, of course.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tabs vs music notation

To quote Jordan, "go listen and learn for yourself, that's the bluegrass way."
    I get this from some (thankfully few) teachers at Kaufman camp. Then we proceed to spend the next hour or so...
  10. Re: For you guitar lovers of Roy Rogers A gift from Doyle

I don't know about mint, though. I thought I saw a chip in Dale.

. . .didn't have to be said, but I did it anyway.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: double stops confused

I had trouble with these too, and when I finally figured it out, I wrote it up how it would have best been explained to me. Maybe what's linked below would help you.
    Good luck!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning Standard Notation

On page 21 of the Bickford Mandolin Method (available for free here: http://archive.org/details/bickfordmandolin01bick) is a "Study for Locating Notes."

If you work thru this study until you...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chart for Lady Be Good

Just words and chords:

LBG charts and a whole bunch more, courtesy of Don Julin.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?86322-Swing-Jam-PDF

click on the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Survival Mandolin Chords for Beginners

IIRC, all upper case is the way it was done in Ohmsen's Music Theory for Modern Mandolinists book, and the discussion was less clear than it could have been because of it, although it's still a great...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Latest Kelley's

Wow, Skip. Both are beauties.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What makes the mandolin so special?

I'm with Phil (and Donnie)--because it's THE best musical instrument. I'm glad to see someone else use the word "obsession," Gerrie. Makes me feel more normal.

. . . buzz killer ~:>
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in the Key of B

Attached are some some random B thoughts and some pentatonic stuff. This is the way my head wraps around things. I hope it works for you.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: "Fretboard Logic" for the Mandolin

I think shapes and distances when playing the mandolin. If you're a "shape thinker" too, this might be of some use to you.
    65693 Your avatar creeps me out.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Congratulations SKIP KELLEY !

Way to go, Skip! Congratulations! Wish I could have been there.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: #029 Kelley A model

That's a beauty, Skip!

(sigh) Here comes that MAS fever again.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass improv ?'s

I have "The Mandolin Picker's Guide To Bluegrass Improvisation," and I think it has helped me improve my BG improv.
  22. Re: Video of Don Stiernberg and Dave Harvey - Wow!

BOTH of these master musicians will be at Kaufman mandolin camp next June.
    The mandolin camp lineup: Alan Bibey, Andrew Collins, David Harvey, Emory Lester, Barry Mitterhoff, Don Stiernberg
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Skip Kelley A5 workhorse

What a beautiful mando, Skip!! I surely do like sound you build into 'em too. So, do you mean that you might actually keep this one for yourself?

I enjoyed your workshop at Hagen-Stone Park...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Skip Kelley A-5

I love Skip Kelley's mandolins. Yours sounds great! Thanks for the recording. I wish you much happiness playing that truly fine Kelley A.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stops for newer players

and here's the last part:
Page 1 of 2 1 2