Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: non american mandolins

I'm Canadian so I like to keep my money in the Commonwealth, so I'm limited to Duff, and Gilchrist in Australia, Heiden, Weins, Muth and Sohn et al. in Canada . It's true but I'm kidding of course. I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading Music Strategic Strike

I stumbled on this. It's been great for me, though I already can read music:

http://shop.theviolincase.com/pages/Online-Flashcards.html

You can adjust for bass or tenor clef (The tenor is the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising: double stop combinations ?

Picklosers guide is gigantic. It really is a wonderful starting place.

I noodle a lot and find a lot of cool stuff, and practice it. After a while things come to me while playing a tune and I try...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising: double stop combinations ?

Okay, so I'm not a great player and I struggle with actually using them, but google Pickloser's Guide to Double Stops-- it's fantastic and one of the first resources that got me really starting to...
  5. Re: What breaks or solos have you learned note for note?

So there IS someone else on the planet who thinks that solo on "Stairway.. " is WAY overrated ?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning songs to improve skill

You should start playing the 'game' of "Memory Jukebox".

You have hundreds and hundreds of songs in your head already - start putting some of those melodies* onto the instrument. Make your...
  7. Re: When One of Your Favorite Releases Comes Up to Sale

I have and I know the feeling and I've always resisted. If my '61 Hummingbird ever goes on the block however....

Incidentally I don't feel like I betrayed the instrument I feel like the...
  8. Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Jackson's roots aren't in bluegrass, they are in gospel ...so he's certainly the kind of person we need to keep out of bluegrass. (Yes, that's sarcasm)

Why the hatred guys? Jackson paid his...
  9. Re: Rhonda Vincent & The Rage. Her Mandolin setup.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151663770401483&set=a.261079366482.141121.232955536482&type=1&theater

Beautiful, talented, and a great sport!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: the mandolin in bluegrass?

Nothing will stop a discussion faster than unforgiving absolutes and rampant semantics!
    1. “Invented” - bluegrass is not the light bulb
    2. “Didn't invent” - bluegrass in not the light bulb
    3. Bill...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Good starter Bill Monroe Album

This is from Fred Robbins site of BG Festival recordings that have been digitalized...there is a wealth of Monroe stuff from the contributors, all downloadable into mp3 format. Poke around and...
  12. Re: Lost or Stolen: Paypay/Mail Fraud Scam

OK, mystery case solved.

Not a scam at all but a seller's misunderstanding. The money was in his PayPal account all the time. He just wasn't aware that is how PayPal worked. One thing is for sure,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Only four genuine old time instruments

Ridiculous. 'Old Time' music was invented in the '70s, from what I can tell. Prior to that, people played string band music or banjo music or square dance music or whatever they wanted, as attested...
  14. Modern Mandolin Quartet members play Smart matched quartet

Here is the first of a few videos with 3 members of the Modern Mandolin Quartet and substitute mandolinist, Lief Karlstrom playing my matched "Element" quartet at this summer's Healdsburg Guitar...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Requests from a long distance...

I'm not sure, but I think they call that device a "mobile phone".
  16. Replies
    Views

I am sure this thread has been on here before but...

I am sure this thread has been on here before but i couldn't find one. So I am going to start my own. So if you have some pics of your kids, grandkids or any other kids in your family playing...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Free V-Picks - Right Here

:)) my thoughts exactly :)) Oh, John, just left Conroe a week ago Saturday. Saw a couple of neat cars East of the 336 loop on 105. (a white/red '65 Fairlane hardtop and a blueish green (mid 50's)...
  18. Replies
    Views

And even though I didn't win, kudos to Scott for giving picks to someone named "pickloser" - they must need them!
  19. Replies
    Views

Hey everyone! Vinni Smith here from V-Picks.
    I just want to send out a big THANK YOU all for getting involved in this giveaway.
    This is fun stuff.
    I also want to thank Scott for making it...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: A question about keys

In case it helps / if you're a number person I use semitones and remember them like phone numbers.
    So with Jon's example in #16
    = 2122122
    = 2122131
    = 2122221
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: You are in a Jam

There ARE rules in music, which is why we think of it as "music" and not just ambient noise. It's a complex system and the rules are only the rules because they are necessary for music to sound like...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: The diplomacy of tutorial sessions

This was a recurring problem when I was teaching at camps and workshops. Eventually, my wife gave me a customized shirt to wear during these events to try to preemptively minimize the problem.
  23. Refretting a Special Mandolin - Kudos to Hugh Hansen

As the title implies, I recently went through alot of mind wrenching on whether to refret my Loar myself, and if not, who to have do it.

Lloyd was still sporting the original frets and after...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising help! I'm getting desperate!

Wow.

Learning from a book isn't necessarily about learning to improvise. It's about learning the TOOLS to improvise. Surely you must agree that a good improviser should at least know the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

This is my daughter, Adele - 3 weeks old. My wife wanted to have family pictures taken...I said, "Sure, as long as I can bring a mandolin!". So, here's my favorite girl with a mandolin - my Brentrup...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4