Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. What's Love Got To Do With It, with a little mandolin

https://youtu.be/LlDdkLfyxxc
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull 5-String Electric ID

Romo 19" scale baritone 5-string electric mandolin, a gift from Ron Oates himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygzl_rW0MKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV8DnlPh9Ys

Here's...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Home Recording Setup for Total Beginner?

I think all of the above recommendations will work. I would like to make the OP aware of a factor that is frequently ignored, the space you record in. It doesn't have to be an expensive studio but...
  4. Replies
    Views

Have a look at the Audient EVO 4. Simple to use and they sound great.
  5. Replies
    Views

I think most phones will record with reasonable quality, you can just get a good microphone.
    I bought a Boya MM1 at about 35 dollars plus a 5 metre (about 16 foot) extension cable for 4 dollars. ...
  6. Replies
    Views

I second the vote for either a Zoom hand held recorder or the Spire. I have used both. Currently I have a Zoom H6 that I picked up for a great price second hand and the sound quality is great from...
  7. Replies
    Views

As Michael said - all of these suggestions have their merits.
    -> Important point: If you want to do multi-tracking you must have headphones or at least some type of earbuds, to listen to and play...
  8. Replies
    Views

+1 for the above. We use a Tonor Q9 microphone that goes for $50 on Amazon and get recordings that are better than a "Total Beginner" needs. Going more complicated than that is setting yourself up...
  9. Re: Home Recording Setup for Total Beginner?

All you need to get good audio results is a USB condenser microphone. They are not cheap but are easy to use; just plug it into your laptop, adjust the sound settings so the USB mike is being used...
  10. Replies
    Views

I agree with Honeybucket on the Focusrite Scarlet 2xi or 4xi, these accept XLR or 1/4 inch inputs and will power mics and act as a basic preamp, this feeds into your PC via USB and can plug into any...
  11. Replies
    Views

Let me suggest a completely different route, and the one I actually use when I need to bang out a quick recording with no vocals.

For reference I am an amateur sound engineer, own a 2i2, multiple...
  12. Replies
    Views

Take a look at Spire Studio. It’s a small unit with a great mic and quiet preamps. It will record 8 tracks and works with your phone. Effects are good. Mixing is visual and easy as well. I have a...
  13. Replies
    Views

You can use Reaper for 30 days for free. After that, buy a license. It's a fraction of the cost of the major DAWs but it does about everything those high cost DAWs will do. There's no copy protection...
  14. Replies
    Views

You'll need an audio interface, a microphone, and a DAW at the bare minimum. I would also suggest studio monitors if you can afford them.

Can't go wrong with a Scarlett 2i2 for an audio...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

Way late to this discussion, it appears ... but I wonder if you can compare musicality to taste. Some people are born with a type of empathy for music; some people prefer a specific type of musical...
  16. Replies
    Views

I was after one of my students for a while to play more musically. Her notes are almost entirely staccato and her timing is perfect for a march. She plays a pretty mean bluegrass improvisation, too. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

@CC - ah, I see :)

I was thinking of creation of original work; in the case of the musician - composing, improvising..

The theory piece you mention is much like a theory (of art) one of my...
  18. Replies
    Views

I was in a local Irish trad band for a few years with a friend who is a very good violinist and teacher. Classically trained, he was the musical director of the Mantovani Orchestra in its last years...
  19. Replies
    Views

Being a huge fan of Nate Lee (great guy, great teacher, great artist, and he'll be a great Dad) I read his recommended book, "The Practice of Practice" which addresses the issue under debate. The...
  20. Replies
    Views

You can't teach anyone anything: As the zen saying goes, "There is no teaching; only learning."

Not to get too out there, but we could include an additional aspect to the "steps" Carl outlined. ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the Cafe!

Musicality is absolutely a teachable skill, but most teachers don't know how to teach it and a great many of them don't posses the skillset...
  22. Replies
    Views

To illustrate my point would entail a dive into music history, sociology, art and philosophy as this involves engaging in the exercise - what is music? So if I threw up examples like Crumb, Varese,...
  23. Replies
    Views

I think you can teach musicality, but I'm not sure it can be decoupled from technique. In other words, if you can't first play the notes, it doesn't matter how soulfully you pluck your strings or...