Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a good mid-level octave mandolin..

I ended up with a Pono 23” and a converted Eastman (guitar) 23.5” GBOMs at a very reasonable price (each less than $1000) from the classifieds. Both are excellent to my hearing. I was targeting a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

My recommendation would be to go ahead and set up your mixer and one or more PA speaker and set up a GoPro or other recording method to actually hear what it sounds like out at audience position. I...
  3. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Space blankets provide almost no insulation. They reflect body heat, but that isn’t going to help your mandolin :)
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner recomendation for full sun

I like the Unitune but still have occasional problems in direct sun when batteries get low.

I have a few D’Addario micro tuners and they are generally hard to see in sunlight, but the micro unit...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

This is Mando. It is the way.

6. Thread: Monel strings

by NDO
    Replies
    Views

Re: Monel strings

I particularly like the D’Addario Sam Bush medium plus monel set on my Morris and Eastman mandolins. They really sound great and last a long time.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Preamp VS Booster Pedal

I alternate between mandolin and a guitar bodies octave mandolin. I plug into a ToneDexter with a wireless Xvive transmitter system. I use a wavemap for the mandolin and bypass for the octave since...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Day at Mandolin Cafe

Nature abhors a vacuum. That’s science.
    Empty case needs a mandolin.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

My biggest regret in my musical journey is that I waited so long before attempting a stringed instrument. I had doodled with harmonicas for a decade or so without getting very serious or having any...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: TSA mandolin incident

After having my carry-on luggage strip searched a few times a kindly TSA agent pointed out that my harmonicas in their case look just like gun magazines on the x ray. Now I pull them out and keep the...
  11. Thread: Worm holes

by NDO
    Replies
    Views

Re: Worm holes

Best thing that ever happened was accidentally getting a guitar strap for my GBOM that has a pick pocket built in. It has saved me countless lost picks I’m certain.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Baggies? You should see what Denis did with sampler #1, Altoid tins with an inventory on each! Super appreciated.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Mandolin Stand?

…and the Roomba
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: removing 1 G string ???

You could try octave pairs on the G…?
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando friendly music stores Portland OR

Same distance as driving to Seattle, but less traffic…you could head east to see what Sonny Morris has in his shop in Irrigon, OR
    (Though he usually only has a couple of instruments since they seem...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Another mandolin stand question

Sue, Sue, Sue…
    You need more than one stand!
    Upright stands for everyday use at home and anywhere you have room to easily carry it.
    Flat folding stands for travel or anywhere you need it to fit...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

My friend in Montana runs an artist’s retreat in the mountains. Volunteers camp (campers and bunkhouses) and help with building the place for a few weeks and have daily opportunities to practice or...
  18. Thread: D-Addario Monels

by NDO
    Replies
    Views

Re: D-Addario Monels

I prefer the sound of the D’Addario monels to the Curt Mangans on my Morris oval. The CMs do seem to last forever however.
  19. Thread: What is MAS?

by NDO
    Replies
    Views

Re: What is MAS?

I figure as long as I have fewer mandolins than fishing rods I haven’t crossed into “problem” territory. I can quit anytime I want to.

<Avoids looking at the 100+ fishing rods in the garage>
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

I love my Morris- but I’ve never played a Pomeroy. I do however have two Eastmans and a BRW to compare it with. It’s head and shoulders above the Eastmans in tone but not quite as sweet as the BRW....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

I’ve got a Morris oval hole A with a pickup that I use daily that sounds and plays great and would have been in your price range. I haven’t seen one with a wide neck but you could ask Sonny if he...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (for solo mandola)

Well done!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Replacement Reccomendation

You’ll get a lot of opinions on this but in general I think that price point is a bit too low to be able to expect a good playable instrument. You might get lucky, and/or be able to set it up using...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Checking in--I didn't disappear

Good luck with your shoulder Sheila!

We used to talk about “cylinder quotient” to measure the total number of engines a person owned, running or not… add up the number of cylinders in each, and...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Introduction of a new member

Welcome! Also swing by the newbies social group and make yourself at home. You’ve come to the right place.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4