Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Under-rated mandolin players

Despite all the love expressed on the MC, I've always thought that Andy Statman deserves more recognition than he gets. No doubt his limited touring doesn't help, or his mastery of two very different...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

Because, when you play four string electric, nobody knows how much you suck at tremolo! :))

More broadly, even for a hobby player like myself with limited equipment (an Eastwood Madostang into...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gaspar Sanz Goes Electric

I love the idea of setting an audience in your mind, especially an imaginary audience, before composing your music. I can't hear in my head what music Goblins would prefer, but that's OK, they seem...
  4. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Any study of acoustic string instruments producers needs to consider how durable they are (when properly treated) and conservative the users are (in love with the old stuff). Passionately create...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Solid Body Mandolins

I am a fan of solid body four-string electrics as well, and I find I practice more when traveling with my Eastwood "Mandostang" more than I would with my Collings. I play with a headphone amp, but I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: solid mando practice setup?

I use an inexpensive headphone amp, the Sonicake US classic. You’ll find it on Amazon. The built-in batteries are long lasting, and it does have an input for a phone or other device to play backing...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tristan Scroggins on Eastwood Electrics

Thank you for passing these along. Since I already have the Eastwood electric, instead of a new instrument, they have me hankering for an octave pedal!!

Tristan's creative playing and skills...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bela at Carnegie Hall

For my birthday yesterday, my son invited me to fly to NYC to go to this concert with him! I’ve got a flight and I am beyond excited! :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Campfire travel Mandolin

No doubt, we all have our own situations and druthers. Unlike the OP, I don't play often with others with my travel mando--it's mainly for practice. But like the OP, I see the low monetary value of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Hacks"

Rob Meldrum's book on setting up your mandolin yourself with Harbor Freight files and gauges fits the bill. Great approach for Rogue-level mandos, I've tried it, but I entrust the setup of valued or...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: FrankenMando (you need to see this)

Makes me think of those "Rolls-Royce" fronts that those of a certain age will remember for VW bugs. I love goofy DIY solutions as self-expression, so I got a big kick out of seeing this!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

I take the OP's comment rather differently than most here. I think he's talking about the difference between an intermediate player and an advanced player. As intermediate players, we get wrapped up...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Travel with a nice mandolin

Charley,

I've taken my beater (from the same factory, it would appear, as the Rogue-100A with a different headstock/name) twice to Belize in a padded gig bag with shoulder straps and have had no...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: To read or not to read...

At an impressionable age, I heard the old joke, "Q to folk musician: Can you read music? A: Not enough to hurt my playing!" and believed it true, not seeing it as the bit of showmanship that it is....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with an out of tune piano

Our 1908 Chickering and Sons upright piano is marked on the iron frame inside "International Pitch A 435" in 1" black lettering--not only may old pianos be weaker, but before WWII, they may not be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand arthritis

Helpful thread for me. About 4 weeks ago my family medicine doctor explained to me that it was a combination of "trigger thumb" and arthritis that was making my left hand thumb painful--including...
  17. Re: stolen stradivarius violin recovered after 35 years

Nina Totenberg's article on NPR fills in most of the missing details from the family's perspective: