Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Tom Kimber's GDGD tuning on his Session King demo

Very common tuning for some folks instruments. I have a xiao ruan that is tuned like that and I have seen some middle eastern bowed instruments that use that tuning.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Dawg Waltz - Tommy Emmanuel & David Grisman

Nice
  3. Re: David Grisman licks from his interview 'The Story of Crusher'

Nice analysis.
  4. Re: David Grisman licks from his interview 'The Story of Crusher'

Name of the tune is “Dawg’s Waltz”.
  5. Re: David Grisman licks from his interview 'The Story of Crusher'

Nice one Roland! I’m actually starting to understand the Blues. Many thanks.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: John Dowland music on Tenor Guitar

Thanks, Roland, I was thinking you probably had some experience with the Britten, as we all did back then. I never had it in my own repertoire, but did help one or two very good students work...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yes, a fine performance and transcription, Roland. And a very beautiful song, written originally for tenor voice with lute accompaniment.

It starts "Come heavy sleep, the image of true...
  8. Replies
    Views

First, this is a lovely performance and transcription....thank you for sharing! And doubly thank you for the whole folder full of transcriptions!

To my ear it sounds like CGDA tuning...in...
  9. Thread: Jake Workman

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Jake Workman

What is wrong with this guy? He does more with a fiddle tune than is even decent, and guitar is his primary instrument? Come on, man.

https://youtu.be/SKX6yAnX5s8
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: My SC playlists

Thanks, Roland, very nice to hear from you! (Roland and I last saw each other around what, 1980 or so?)

Yeah, I got serious about mandolin in 2003 after attending some choro jams in Vancouver and...
  11. Replies
    Views

The French list has mostly Musette material. Some notes:

1. Valse à Deddy. For mandolin and guitar, with Ron Thompson.

2. Petite Fleur. The well-known Sidney Bechet tune, with me and Ron...
  12. Replies
    Views

The Jazz list has six tunes, three on mandolin (1, 3, 5) and three on guitar (2, 4, 6).

1. Autumn Leaves. Duo with Danny Parker on bass, from the same house concert as Noites Cariocas in post...
  13. Replies
    Views

I always liked your playing, Bruce. Thanks for posting those. I look fwd to the other groups.
  14. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

Berrying into the crotch? Don't know what that means but most probably the problem is that you're *holding* or even supporting the mandolin with your left hand. Secure the instrument in place, e.g.,...
  15. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

I got a kick out of “mother of Jupiter too” ��

I have been trying to get out of the habit of berrying into the crotch of my left hand because as said above, it restricts movement. This is...
  16. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

well I learned a new term "mount of jupiter". It is amazing what can be learned perusing this site.
  17. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

I also noticed that you don't use your pinky at all in either tune. Nothing wrong with that—it is your choice. However, what I am not so sure about is maintaining that thumb position with some...
  18. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

I hold the mandolin in my left hand just as I was taught to hold a violin 47 years ago. The wrist should be straight. There should be plenty of daylight shining between the neck and the web on your...
  19. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

I find that resting the neck fully into the crotch between thumb and finger actually restricts range of motion in the fretting fingers.
  20. Re: Common ii V progressions including the tritone at the bottom

Great stuff Roland! I'm a fan of these voicings myself, super versatile.
  21. Replies
    Views

Estamos ai

means "We are here" or "We are there", so here we are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOXm5s23bA
  22. Mandolin adaptation of Jazz guitar chord melody piece

Sutton Mutton by Carl Kress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2x0KDnTgy0
  23. Re: Comping Howard & Jethro's Blues transcription

Thanks, Roland, for taking the time to transcribe my part.

Jethro loved the Count Basie sound, which is what we were after on that track. He enjoyed playing their ensemble parts in a chordal style...
  24. Leo Kottke on 10-string -- "William Powell"

I revisited this happy tune that seems to be about a debonair movie star. I'm using a flatpick and emulating Leo Kottke's finger-picking. Recorded with just my Shure KSM 32, this is another preview...
  25. Re: Sierra Hull's Turkey In The Straw Theme and others...

Roland - Thanks! That was too kind! I was out of cell and internet for the long weekend. I'll definitely try using Audacity in the future. I'm sure the transcribing will help with training my...
Page 1 of 2 1 2