Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about tuning

Hi Scott
    If tuning the Tenor banjo to GDAE then that should be one octave below
    the pitch for mandolin using strings of appropriate gauge. As stated above , the banjo's longer scale length will...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with a purchase decision

It looks like the Martin is no longer available. I owned one just like it also from the 1940s in excellent condition and it was pretty underwhelming as a mandolin. Personally the simple Martin A...
  3. Re: How Do You Play Angeline the Baker and Why?

I think it sounds better open stringed but to tell the truth I tend not to play it if I can help it.

That said here is a refreshing version from a Mandolin Monday session where both approaches are...
  4. Replies
    Views

I'd go with the Kentucky KM-850. I've played around with all the old Martin's and Gibson's I've ever wanted to.
  5. Replies
    Views

I can't help you with a definitive answer to your question but I would like to point out something that I have touched on many times. Buy from a Cafe sponsor! Cafe sponsors not only provide an...
  6. Replies
    Views

A Martin 2-15 might be hard to sell later.
  7. Replies
    Views

Depends on what kind of music you're gonna play. The Martin is a quality instrument, and has value on the vintage market. The Kentucky probably would work better for bluegrass playing. It's true...
  8. Replies
    Views

The Martin appears to be pretty competitively priced assuming it is in good all-round condition- and it also has an original hard case, which of itself is worth a reasonable sum. However, it is not a...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Martin is a style 2-15. That particular model mandolin is not considered to be desirable by either players or collectors. Martin's oval hole mandolins will be better instruments-- they never...
  10. Replies
    Views

Irish banjo is GDAE like an octave mandolin yes?

How about Daddario EJ63i to start with?

They are made for a 4-string GDAE tuned 22-23" scale length Irish tenor banjo, seems like a match there....
  11. Replies
    Views

Here is what I would have said if you didn't already find the answer :-)

From what I can tell it has a 23" scale (modern banjos are commonly 26.25" scale), so you could use octave or mandola...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Tuning Machines

there is a link on servicing tuning machines rather than scrapping them, *

your Internet search may find.

(Lubricating and wearing them in) you could do some of that with each tuner
  13. Replies
    Views

You should first remove them from the instrument and inspect them thoroughly for smooth operation and lubricate them. Often there can be binding issues with the ferrules or misalignment of the...
  14. Thread: 1939 Silvertone

by NickR
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1939 Silvertone

You may have seen this from the Vintage Levin listing site. I sent a seller in Sweden some information on an old Harmony guitar in his shop and he told me he was the guy behind this site. Another of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Those are worm over, and by the cut of the gear they appear to turn the right way. The only problem I see is that they are showing as 23.0 spacing and that may or may not cause you issues. You have...
  16. Replies
    Views

I can't tell you whether the Schallers would just drop right in or if you'd have to do some drilling. You'd have to measure the spacing on your Kentucky and compare.

But if you're interested in...
  17. Replies
    Views

I have played a Kentucky KM 756 and KM 505. I thought both had excellent tuners - better than the ones on my Eastman MD-605.
  18. Replies
    Views

Everything you always wanted to know about the differences between worm over and worm under tuners can be found on the late Paul Hostetter's gear page. It is here.
  19. Replies
    Views

Those are Saga's own brand tuning machines. You're looking for worm over tuners. To my knowledge Schaller no longer makes a worm over tuner in their Grand Tune line. If they have I haven't seen...
  20. Thread: 1939 Silvertone

by NickR
    Replies
    Views

Just to add to Mike's observation, losing the original tuners makes it just a little harder to date the mandolin. However, the headstock shape and the logo and case date the mandolin to the late...
  21. Replies
    Views

Your mandolin has replacement tuners. That takes it out of that mint category. I think you're dating it a few decades earlier than it was made. The instrument itself was made by Kay in Chicago for...
  22. Thread: 1939 Silvertone

by NickR
    Replies
    Views

It is unlikely to be from 1939 because the Silvertone brand- the new name for Supertone did not come into existence until 1940. The commonest mandolins with the Silvertone brand were made after WW2...