Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

John Brosnan's Reel

I decided to give this tune a go, and in the process of experimenting with it, came up with this somewhat unique version. Pretty untraditional, but hopefully enjoyable to listen to.

(Yeah, yeah,...
  2. Replies
    Views

The Humours of Glynn (waltz)

At the request of a friend, I decided to revisit this waltz I originally learned from John Carty while I was studying at the University of Limerick. Here's my solo version of the tune, performed on a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Winder Slide, octave mandolin solo

I took a swing at this old-time fiddle tune by Joe LaRose on my octave mandolin (partial capo at 2nd fret for a cross-tuned sound). Thanks for listening!

https://youtu.be/zQuAqXmjR_g
  4. Re: Carter Vintage Guitars is now Carter Vintage Exchange

I wish the Carters nothing but the best. I've spent time with both of them and they're just wonderful people!

However, I'm not a fan of the direction all of this is going. Venture capital rarely...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another string winder thread

I've got a MusicNomad blue winder which I prefer to the types shown in the top post.
    Less fiddly to put over the knobs and doesn't slip off so easily.
  6. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

Built a mandospanker long ago, strumming a mando all day with a doublepick loaded turntable made the open strings irritatingly loud, did nothing for fretted notes. Maybe if I'd had an Arthur Godfrey...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm amazed by the Tone Gard

I would love to try one of these out, but my mandolin has a varnish finish and they advise not to use it with varnish.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Booster pedal into Loudbox

The EP Booster is a fine unit. Note that there two dip switches on the inside that you can tweak.

A Red Eye pre-amp has a very clean boost.

What KIND OF P/U in your mando? The Red Eye might do...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

I don't experiment much with strings. I used J74's on my mandolins for years, then got a free set of Straight Up Strings, and have used them ever since. Like them a lot.
  10. Re: What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze set# 2160 (12,15,26,40) are the strings I use on my 2007 Kimble F5. I like 12’s on the high e strings.

I use set# 2170 (12,16,26,40) on my 80’s Japanese made Kentucky...
  11. Replies
    Views

I don't have a Kimble, but I recently tried every set of string offered by D'Addario that had the same gauges as the EJ74 set. Many of the sets were twice as expensive. And in the end, to my ear...
  12. Replies
    Views

I’ve always used J74 but I suspect that, originally, mine came (from new) with something lighter. I did briefly speak to Will about string gauges and he said the mandolin could cope with J75s but...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile using an SM57 mic

I believe this is a legit quote from Gillian Welch, although I can't remember or vouch for the original source.

"We carry Shure SM-58s and SM-57s," Welch says. "Fancy microphones can be very...
  14. Replies
    Views

Hamlett Mandolin Glory

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd pass this along in a new thread to share a sound sample of my now six week new John Hamlett Two-Point. The linked sound file consist of the following variables:

15. Replies
    Views

Re: Persimmon mandolins?

Pisgah makes some very well-regarded banjos using persimmon fingerboards and tone rings. Be worth pursuing further, IMO.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: '23 Gibson A2

Please don't modify a 1923 mandolin. You are only the short term caretaker of this 97 year old.

There are 1000s of other mandolins available with the neck profile you desire.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking info about Gibson "A" #15709

Thanks for all the suggestions! Factory order number is 1838, stamped inside near the neck block. New "Access" hardshell case, not original. No pick guard. No cracks. Visible mark where pickguard was...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Play ALL of Your Mandolins Regularly?

There's no mystery: your brain does the job of making the mandolin sound how you want it to, and often needs time to learn or re-learn how. Because you don't have conscious access to how it does that...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: economical option to record myself

Your phone’s voice memo app?
  20. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Orange on today Show

https://www.today.com/video/mandolin-orange-performs-the-wolves-live-on-today-73336389510

And Andrew has a new X-braced Gilchrist! MAS at the highest level.....:mandosmiley:
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you clean your mandolin?

Is the finish laquer/ nitro? A popular choice is Virtuoso Premium Polish and Virtuoso Premium Cleaner. These are sold in separate bottles.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume boost pedal question

The Fire Eye Red Eye is a great piece of gear and dead simple to use. It actually does have a very simple tone control on it that is very effective, especially for dialing out any harshness without...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K twin-preamp-guitar amp

I send the FX out of my Red Eye into a Princeton Reverb amp and it is splendid tone....
  24. Re: Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar Signed December 1, 1924 Mandolin

Mike Black
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Ideas for a 12 Year Old

Eastman 305, if the young lady is that good I think she will like the 305.
Page 1 of 2 1 2