Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

A++?
    To me, I've heard maybe 5 or 10 mandolins that I would grade as A++, and none of them were moderately priced factory instruments (although some are rather old factory instruments that were...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on a Replacement Bridge

Cumberland shipped a new bridge to me at the beginning of January. It took a few days to process, but that was around the holidays. I love this bridge on my Eastman oval hole (304)! As soon as I...
  3. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

You did the right thing by notifying the vendor of their mistake. If it turns out you get to keep it somehow great but if not enjoy the new F5S.
  4. Re: Gavin Baird Mandolin- looking for information!

Hi All,

Noah Baird here, Gavin's son. So nice to hear warm thoughts about my dad. He was a very special person to me and I'm glad he left such a positive impression on this community.

As I am...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Consignment Advice

The last two mandolins I sold were through Kevin at Mando Mutt. Being a little over 2 hours down the road, he met me about halfway to pick them up. We picked a starting price and communicated if we...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Road Trip VI - Sucker For A Blond

Thanks for the review, all in all it looks good but at that price they need to dial in the scroll.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tweaked my Mando

I guess you are aware that an oval hole mandolin and an F hole mandolin will have inherent differences in sound so there is that. It is too often a setup is not a setup from some places. It is...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Who is the female back up singer?

Cheryl and Sharon have a distinctive sound. I like the Whites.

Adam
  9. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

If you have been playing/interested in mandolin for any length of time, I am astounded you had not already heard of him.

Dunno if it's just a mandolin player thing, or if one influenced the...
  10. Troublesome Creek Luthiery on CBS Mornings today

This story was on the CBS Morning show today. I know that Sunburst has had a lot to do with helping the school.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Saturday morning thoughts on mandolins

I love playing guitar and singing songs, and sometimes when things are dialed in just right, it's flat out glorious. But you mention "joy" here, and I understand that completely. Nothing...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove Rogue repair

I have no skin in the argument....

I use dovetails and hot hide glue for all of my mandolin necks, both traditional dovetails and bolt on necks for the guitars (depending upon the customer), and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: How to hold the pick

Mike got me inspired to shoot this little demo. So I don't know what's right and what's not, but this is the way I hold a pick.:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvgaVR906_w
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

So sorry to hear of David's passing. Condolences.

I always loved this video of David playing Little Martha. So sweet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLvDHv0jldM

PLvDHv0jldM
  15. Thread: Cost for refret

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Cost for refret

Prices vary considerably, depending on who is doing the work.

In most cases, $250 to $450 for a fret job. You might find someone who will still do it for $200 or less, but it probably won't be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman needs new strings

After struggling with quality control issues with DA (after using them for 20 years) I switched to GHS A270 or A260s. I don't mess with coated strings because my sweat chemistry isn't bad like some...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge foot marks/resale value

The finish has been compressed in that area from the bridge foot due to string tension.
    If it was nitro, the area could be drop-filled, levelled, and polished by an expert. But that appears to be a...
  18. Re: Stewmac shipping outrageously expensive and NOT eco-responsib

Just so I understand this, throwing out paper that breaks down and goes away in a landfill is less eco-responsible than using a bubble wrap plastic product that will never break down in a landfill...
  19. Replies
    Views

Prayer for Dennis @ The Mandolin Store

For those of you so inclined, I would ask that you keep Dennis Vance in your prayers. He is facing some medical issues that must be addressed in the near future. I do not wish to, nor do I intend to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton changed my pick grip

What could be clearer? Oh yeah...

21. Re: Do I need a repair person who specializes in mandolins?

It all comes down to the competence of the person who does the work, and unfortunately, we have no good way to know how competent someone is until we are personally familiar with his/her work. We...
  22. I got a really cool compliment yesterday!

I got a really cool compliment yesterday!

Story:
    So, I'm the pastor of a small yet awesome church in Illinois. We had our church Christmas program yesterday. I played along with the...
  23. Re: More Bad News/Press for Gibson's Electric Guitar Division

Just imagine what Gibson mandolins will sell for when they aren't made anymore...
    Or maybe Two Old Hippies will buy the Mandolin division and offshore the production.
  24. Re: Does this look legit or scammy -- offer to buy

100% pure scam b.s. Take this from someone that blocks this crap every day of the year, year-round, for decades.

OK, I'll play along to the next person on the internet that wants to engage in...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Selling a Mandolin

Interesting thread. Especially for me, as I am the owner of RedLine Acoustics! Great feedback, by the way, both for Kevin and myself.

This (lack of a sale) so far puzzles me too. Kevin is a great...
Page 1 of 2 1 2