Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

This is the way
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mojo on beloved Daley mandolin

Thanks for all the replies, guys. There are some good ideas. Still undecided but have some paths forward to look at. I'll be investigating armrests.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mojo on beloved Daley mandolin

That’ sounds like an idea worth trying.
  4. Re: Valuing a Daley Adam Steffey prototype model

Wish I could help but I’m biased. I own two Daley mandolins. A Sitka topped Standard and a red spruce topped Classic. They have the satin finish which is not as durable and hence have lots of play...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Any other Daley owners out there?

I don't think Sim has a son, least not one I know of. Sounds like something is not quite right there. Sim was known for his set ups and repairs as well as his mandolin making. Doubt seriously he'd...
  6. Re: Sarah Jarosz and Parker Millsap at the Levitt-Shell in Memphi

Funny. My band was playing a gig at a downtown coffee shop, The Tamp & Tap, for their bluegrass brunch when we looked up and the bass player spotted Sarah and said something. The two guys with her...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Home Made Braided Strap

I just searched 'four strand round braid' on YouTube. There were tons of videos. This one seemed good.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjs_MeGNpo
    Be aware that you can make a diamond pattern braid...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Home Made Braided Strap

Next, images of the scroll loop and the ending tie off. Notice I just used one of the four strands and tied a slip knot such that it tightens as you are pulling on the strap side. This way it never...
  9. Replies
    Views

Home Made Braided Strap

I had a friend call the other day asking about how I made my straps and just now got a PM requesting the same. So here goes. First I'll post a few pics. That may be enough for some folks. ...
  10. Re: Would You Rather Have One Gibson Lloyd Loar Or....?

I've played exactly two signed Loar F5's... they are neither in my top two favorite mandolins that I've put my hands on.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Funny Gigs

Played a festival once called the Goat Festival. We played on the back of a flatbed truck to a pretty nice crowd. Every 20 minutes or so we'd hear a tremendous explosion 100 yards away and see a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Kaufman Kamp 2014 Roll Call!

I had to miss a year, so I get to wait and avoid the Bear Bucks rush. Food… meh… BEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Prices dropping on high end mandolins?

I like nice instruments. I have several moderately great guitars and mandolins. Most of my good instruments are in the $3K to $6K range. I do not own the $20+K top end stuff, much less the prewar...
  14. Re: New Northfield F5s vs 2006 Weber Custom Bitteroot

I played a Bitterroot that sounded just fine. I've played a Weber Fern that was a great mandolin. I played a Northfield that I thought was a good mandolin. I heard Emory Lester play his and it...
  15. Re: My/Your MAS/MAD Ultimate Top Ten Wishlist!

Dorothy (the Toto toting one) discovered that if you can't find happiness in your own backyard... well, you know the story. My own mother always reminded us six kids that money would not make you...
  16. Re: what to do when the band gets a bit stagnant?

1. Make sure every member has a few songs in the set list that they want to do. Everyone must feel they are achieving some of their personal goals.
    2. If you're going to practice twice a week, make...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins

FWIW, I understand the enthusiasm for a good sounding moderately priced mandolin. I had the chance to hear up close a Northfield mandolin played by Emory Lester. He also had his Heiden. Emory was...