Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: 1935 Gibson A-75 (listed in MC classifieds)

Very nice. The website mentioned above is good for getting old tuners working smoothly again. Did those adjustments to an old set of Waverly that were on my Kalamazoo when I bought it. Now they are...
  2. Re: 1935 Gibson A-75 (listed in MC classifieds)

Very cool!
    The tuners on my 1940/1941 Strad-O-Lin were also very (unworkably) tight when I got it (It'd been sitting for years), but after some attention by my favorite instrument PCP (Jake...
  3. Re: 1935 Gibson A-75 (listed in MC classifieds)

Nice! Get a picture of the elevated fretboard. It's good to have.
    I agree with John about the tuners. Fortunately, my set-up guy (Randy Marsh, Venice, Fl.) gets old tuners working every time...
  4. Re: 1935 Gibson A-75 (listed in MC classifieds)

Nice mandolin! I've always wanted to try one of those.
    As far as the tuners: Try cleaning and lubricating them before you replace them. I was having some trouble with the original tuners on my 1919...
  5. Re: 1935 Gibson A-75 (listed in MC classifieds)

This is a rare one! Not too many of these A-75's, it should have an elevated fretboard like an F-5, it also should have sunburst sides and back. These also have Mahogany back and sides! I've had...
  6. Replies
    Views

John Goodin passing

Not much to add. Just read it from a mutual friend on FB. He played in Contracopia as well as Foot Notes with Beth Horven Rotto. Also was a composer and was the person behind Playford for Mandolin...
  7. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

I think if you've waited a lifetime to get to this point and you can afford it, you should get the mandolin of your dreams. Don't worry about whether you "deserve" a Gibson or Heiden or Dude or...
  8. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

FWIW, all of my mandolins have been flat fingerboards. While shopping last year, I did get to try a Yellowstone and a Gallatin and the radius on both was unnoticeable (by me). There wasn't a big...
  9. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

Different companies have different economies of scale and production methods, but as a whole, my experience says this statement is incorrect.

Things are certainly different from the old company in...
  10. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

I'd like to help out, but the only Weber I've seen locally at jams and sessions (when we had them) was a Bitteroot A. Have never seen a Yellowstone in the High Desert. A trip to Albany (2+ hours)...
  11. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

I switched up from an entry level Kentucky with flat fretboard to a Weber Bitterroot with radius. I'd would think there is something at the Bend factory or at another shop with a comparable radius. ...
  12. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

They're not building any at the moment, so there might not even be one at the factory to try.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/769-Weber-Announces-Pause-in-Mandolin-Manufacturing
  13. Re: Central Oregon - I need to try a Weber Yellowstone

They are made in Bend. Call them and see if they have one you can try. I have a Weber Yellowstone and live in Albany, Oregon, but that far from Prineville.
  14. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

$3700 would be close to the top for a F5G in really good shape with no issues. Did the seller disclose this in the ad or after the fact? If he was not upfront it would go back, period. I agree with...
  15. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

Sometimes an open seam, even if invisible, can be picked up by thumping the area with a knuckle. It will buzz or just sound different than a tight seam. Worked pretty well on a cello I unaccountably...
  16. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

I'm no expert in repair. But I would not buy an instrument with that level of damage until I was able to have a competent repair person give me an assessment. I wouldn't mind some scratches and dings...
  17. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

The current price for a new F-5G is $6400. GC has at least one in stock.

Used F-5G's in nice shape appear to have recently sold at listed prices of roughly between $3000 to $4000. Those are...
  18. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

You didn't say what year the instrument was, but 3700.00 sounds about right for an F5-G in nice shape, but 2500.00 sounds more reasonable considering the damage. If I had it in hand and felt like the...
  19. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

That is damage that needs immediate repair. I'm not a luthier but I have a decent understanding of what their work involves. What I think I see is the joint at the side and back has been broken....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: No frills vs fancier mandolins

I don't use lower grades or higher grades for levels of trim. They all get the same wood quality and the same construction. The hardware is another thing. But even then, I choose to use what I...