Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: LRTI surgery

by JCook
    Replies
    Views

Re: LRTI surgery

Pittsburgh Bill -- My surgery sounds quite different from finger joint replacement. A bone is removed and eliminates the pain from the arthritis. I looked up finger joint replacement and it looks...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this a Wegen pick?

The little silicone pads are called Monster Grips, and they are great. I have them on most of my picks, including Wegens (the holes just don't give me the grip I want). Been using them for years.
  3. Thread: Bodhran players

by JCook
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bodhran players

I bought a Walton's bodhran about a year ago, but have just started learning to play it. It came with a DVD with some minimal instruction to get me started, but I've just started using a YouTube...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Surgery for arthritis...

Here's an update on the situation as it is now. I had a second consult with the surgeon yesterday over Zoom. I had three pages of questions I had written down and he answered all of them. In my first...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Surgery for arthritis...

Thanks, David. That is very helpful, and hopeful. I'm almost to the point where I'm pretty sure I will have the surgery - it's LRTI, not exactly the same as the Mini Tightrope technique, but pretty...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know of a suitable clip-on tuner?

rickbella, I have a 1920's (not sure of the exact year) L&H A model, with the assymetrical points, and I have the same problem. I have seen a tuner with a clip mount for violins that is curved to fit...
  7. Thread: Strap on a L&H

by JCook
    Replies
    Views

Re: Strap on a L&H

Oh god no! I wouldn't think of it. I can tie the other end to the headstock, it's the bottom end I'm having trouble with.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Course

I very much enjoyed the class last night, and although I've been playing the OM for about 3+ years or so (self-taught) I learned quite a lot from the lesson. I play mandolin, and much of what I play...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Strings

Darwin, Strings by Mail has octave strings on their website. That's where I get mine from. Go to the Common Strings menu and click Mandolin, and D'addario. You'll find them there. Other brands may...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: "Dark" Fiddle Tunes?

Kerr's Negro Jig played by the Carolina Chocolate Drops is fairly dark (partly because it's played on a low pitched instrument), but also very beautiful. Here's a link:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis pain relief

I've been taking Glucosamine and Turmeric capsules for several years now, and I have no pain anymore from the arthritis in my right wrist and index knuckle. These areas used to bother me quite a bit,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie here, suffering from analysis paralysis

Hi Zack,

There are good options out there for you. The first mandolin I bought, about 11 years ago, was a Kentucky KM 150S, which I bought from a friend for $85. New, now, they're a maybe $300...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo for Irish Trad?

One of my favorite Irish airs is "My Lagan Love." I love the melody (played in C) and when I play it I play it straight the first time through with no tremolo. On the second time I tremolo the long...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: You did WHAT to your BC?

I like to use Monster Grips, small circles of textured soft plastic that have a sticky back. I like them on the thumb side. Been using them for several years and they work great.

Jack
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello tuned as octave?

An octave mandolin would be tuned G,D,A,E. Seems like big leap to tune a mandocello.

Jack
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Update to shoulder surgery

I believe I did it last April while climbing around on a rain-wet roof trying to nail a board (as a temporary fix) over a place where I believed water was coming into the upstairs bedroom. I thought...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Update to shoulder surgery

A lot of great advice there, Brian, thank you. I've already thought about how I would know if I'd done something that might "undo" the surgeon's work. It's something I want to mention at my follow-up...
  18. Replies
    Views

Update to shoulder surgery

I got a lot of great thoughts from many of you about having surgery to fix my torn right rotator cuff, so I thought I'd update you all. The surgery took place this past Monday morning (19th) and went...
  19. Re: Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

scifi, I love these tunes (and Breton music in general). The first one is Saint Patrick's An Dro, but what is the name of the second one?

Also, I looked at your Short-tailed Snails website, and...
  20. Thread: Tabs TOTO-AFRICA

by JCook
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tabs TOTO-AFRICA

I believe it's "Kilamanjaro rises like OLYMPUS above the Serengeti." Based on a Google search for the lyrics. "Leopress" just doesn't make any sense - why, or how, would a leopress rise above the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: For the older players: arthritis and mandolining

Yes, turmeric is used in many world foods, including curry. I can't imagine mixing it in water and drinking it - that does not sound very appetizing to me! I like turmeric in foods, but taking it...
  22. Thread: Trophy Straps

by JCook
    Replies
    Views

Re: Trophy Straps

I like a number of the designs, but I do believe that some metal part will invariably do something on the instrument in the case. The straps look like they're adustable in length, which is good, and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: A non- mandolin question

For a number of years now I've been using DownloadHelper, a plugin for Firefox, to download videos from Youtube. It's cross-platform, but it may only work on Firefox, I'm not sure. But, in the last...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrumental Tune Recommendations

Andy Statman's "Flatbush Waltz" is a beautiful tune for mandolin.

Jack
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Elzic's Farewell to Baião

Sweet!

Jack
Page 1 of 2 1 2