Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Tradition vs. Gibson Master Model

Congrats on the Ellis! I’ve always wanted one, and those Pags are fantastic too! You’re building quite the mandolin collection!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Farewell Trion

Beautiful version of one of my favorite fiddle tunes! Thanks for sharing.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: 2008 Kimble A5 #143

Wow, what a fantastic mandolin. Congratulations! It is gorgeous, but I'm most impressed with the volume and tone. The notes really pop and have vey pleasant ring to them. Enjoy!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Recent Kelley mandolin

That one really rings Skip. Nice work!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Special

Wow, that is a work of art! Congratulations and enjoy!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: adding a pickup to a 1927 gibson A

You mentioned a permanent pickup, but if you want to keep your vintage mandolin unholy you might look into these from jbb. http://jjb-electronics.com/marcato.html I have a similar one for a gypsy...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Players

I’m a jazz fan. Started playing mandolin before really get into jazz. Grisman led me to Django and Django eventually led me to all types of jazz. Learning to play swing and jazz helped me develop as...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Douce Ambiance - Chord Melody [Tab]

Great version of that tune!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Collings MT2

Gorgeous! Congratulations.
  10. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

I owned a Pava for a few years and I ended up selling it to a friend to fund a new guitar. The neck profile was very comfortable. The most comfortable of all my mandolins I’ve owned. I think it was C...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT vs Pava A

I would go Pava compared to a base level Mt. If you were comparing to a Mt2v it might be another story. I owned a Pava and have played quite a few Collings mandolins.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Danilo Brito, tremolo, just a "wow!"

I love that style of playing. The tone on the instrument is awesome. Is that a bandolim?
  13. Thread: F7 Chord

by Victor Daniel
    Replies
    Views

Re: F7 Chord

I like 5 3 6 5
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs New Oval

I had a modern oval hole and I ended up selling it after acquiring a 1921 Gibson A4. The tone and vintage mojo of the old Gibson just speaks to me more. The playability of the newer oval hole was...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

I wouldn’t write off a Givens based on the truss rod. I’ve had mine for over 10 years had no issues. I also have a Pava A5 that is great, but if I had to keep only one it would be the Givens, it is...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

Dem, I can’t read the headstock, what did you finally settle on? I’ve watched your journey over the years of buying and selling and I’m curious what finally grabbed you.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build a solo?

Play as much as you can, learn as many fiddle tunes as you can and practice learning and playing by ear. As others have mentioned, if you know the melody its a great starting place. Playing in a jam...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

Happy birthday David. Your collaborations with Jerry Garcia acted as the gateway drug into the world of bluegrass for me as a young man. I now also partially blame you for my love of swing Jazz....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: "Dark" Fiddle Tunes?

Cold and Frosty Morning, Greasy Coat, Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, Dusty Miller
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: My new mando!

Congrats Dem. I’d love to hear some comparisons clips or video.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonedexter firmware question...

I bought mine mainly for mandolin, so I uploaded the treble firmware before recording any wave maps. Since then, I have also recorded some guitar maps and used it without changing firmware and it...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Kelley F5

Fantastic looking and sounding mandolin Skip. My MAS is starting to flare up!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: "Swing" number tunes

I play mandolin in a gypsy swing band named Cottonwood Club. I've written a few Swing number tunes like Swing 13 and Swing 17. Recently we played a show here in Helena, Montana with a few guest...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: LR Baggs radius?

I own a radius and have never liked it. Difficult to get a natural sound without a lot of eq. For years I was playing with a Pava A style using a small condenser mic on a gooseneck placed over the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking song suggestions, cool groves

One these Montana jams we might finally meet and try some these out. I’ve never tried the Em sub on Squirrel hunters, must not have hit Helena yet. I love all the minor key, mixolodain stuff too. As...
Page 1 of 2 1 2