Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: David Lindley, RIP

RIP, David Lindley

I'm afraid we are reaching an era where we will be saying goodbye to one musical giant after another.
    So far this year: David Lindley, Wayne Shorter, Burt Bacharach, Chuck...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Calling time on this F4 listing.

I have a feeling they'll be listed at that price for a long, long time.
    There's a '15 F4 on eBay from a music shop that closed down over 3 years ago in my town, and it's been listed at quite a high...
  3. Re: 6 Vintage Gibsons on the cover of Norman & Nancy album

Wow! Thank you, rcc56!
    Your generous and thorough reply is a reminder of why MandolinCafe is one of my favorite sites on the 'net.

In reading various interviews with Norman, I was stunned by...
  4. 6 Vintage Gibsons on the cover of Norman & Nancy album

Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South is an absolutely glorious instrumental album by Norman & Nancy Blake and the Rising Fawn Ensemble, featurin Peter Ostroushko (spelled Ostrusko on...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A Junior Snakehead: NMD

That's beautiful! Congratulations!
    Let us know how it sounds. I've never played a Snakehead. I'm curious how the Juniors sound.
    They seem like the ultimate sleepers in the vintage Gibson market. ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Strange F4....

~Could you post a picture of your 1910 F2? There are never enough pictures of 3-pointers out there. Thanks!
  7. Replies
    Views

Nice 1909 3-point F4

I don't see this site get mentioned very often, but I've seen several 3-pointers for sale there in the past few years. This one is particularly nice.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Strange F4....

If you've never read this Onion article about the invention of the Hyperbolic Chamber, I would encourage you to do so.
    I often think of it when I read floral descriptions like the FrankenGibson. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice blonde F-4

I just got the latest addition to my Gibson instrument family back from an excellent local luthier. My wife says I'm running a mandolin rescue operation, where I buy unplayable instruments in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Givson Urbashi mandolin on Ebay

I think it's safe to say that Roger Rabbit would gladly play some old-time toons on one of these.

I'm certainly impressed by the German Silver frets and the fancy plastic nut.
  11. Thread: Blonde F-4

by KCNelson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blonde F-4

...And this beautiful, affordable F4 is sold. I was nearly ready to tie myself to my chair to keep from buying it.
    I've got a nice F5 and a beautiful F2 to play. I just have to keep telling myself,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

I always tear up at the end when I hear her sing "Tecumseh Valley".

Me too. I saw her a number of times starting in '93. At one show in Seattle, I was just about front row, and when she introduced...
  13. Private Equity firms facilitationalize...

Private Equity firms facilitationalize exponential growth in targeted demographics using cloud-based solutions for a new post-reality paradigm.

Sorry, I hear "private equity firm," and my brain...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loars in the classifieds

I'm guessing the "serial number unknown" is referring to the Virzi Tone Producer, which had its own separate serial number.

What I found strange was that the F5Journal description says "Fern, '28...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings for an F4 - Medium Okay?

I've been enjoying the sound and feel (and price) of the D'Addario Flatwounds on my Gibson ovals.
  16. Unique description of a beautiful 1923 A4, for sale in Japan

[I'm not knocking it - my attempts to translate English into Japanese would be a total catastrophe. Anyway, hope you all enjoy this in the spirit of abstract poetry. As they say below, "Settle for a...
  17. Re: Why did Gibson return to Paddleheads after Snakeheads?

Paddle Ball Head for Junior?
    Like a built-in live-action metronome.
    That's some Gong Show material.
  18. Why did Gibson return to Paddleheads after Snakeheads?

There's a question I've never seen asked. I searched the archives here but couldn't find it - let me know if there's a link to a past discussion...

Gibson Snakehead As from 1923-25 are highly...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F2 and F4 mandolins.

I played the F4 at Dusty Strings. I was a little disappointed that they failed to mention a rather pronounced (though I assume repaired and stable) crack underneath the pickguard - from the trough of...