Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: REELS: What are your favorites?

I prefer Waterworks Lamson, or a good old school click & Pawl.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about Collings mandolins

With a budget of $5-7k, I have a suggestion:

As an owner of an Ellis A5 that i bought used from here on the cafe for less than that, that’s what i would go for.

Made in the same town as...
  3. Thread: Flinner Walsh

by TEvans
    Replies
    Views

Flinner Walsh

Was looking for some good mando sounds while doing some work on the computer today, stumbled across this here video. Those 2 Gils are sounding pretty great together! Doesn't hurt that these two...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: About done upgrading my MD315

I did file down the bridge feet on my old 315 to make it a full contact bridge. Tape down some sandpaper on the top, make sure it's nice a tight. Then just slowly work the bridge back and forth...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Post A picture of your favorite "A" model

;)
  6. Thread: Watson's Blues

by TEvans
    Replies
    Views

Watson's Blues

Was having a little bit of fun with my buddy's Waterloo, decided to record a little take through this tune on a zoom mobile recorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlczyDoQJ8&feature=youtu.be
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

I just drive on down to Fiddler's Green every month or so and stock up! I know they'll be legit D'addario products, and I'm supporting the good folks at that shop, too. Win win!

AND I get to...
  8. Re: Swapping out Gotoh tuners for Waverly on Ellis A

Well, there ya have it. Many thanks to all of the wonderful folks at the Ellis operation. The finest folks, and they do some great work!

Picked it up on Friday, and had gigs both Friday and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's F

Looks like the Kimble that Andrew played on Such Jubilee is up for sale!!

http://www.mandomutt.com/products-page/mandolins/2014-kimble-a-5
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin, TX this weekend

Dan, are you leaving on Monday the 7th, or are here through that whole monday? Radio Coffee and Beer on the south side of town has a bluegrass night every monday night. Some really great pickers...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

Demetrius -- I often think of a video of John Reischman talking about his Loar. (The Fretboard Journal video, I'm sure we've all seen it) In that video he talks about how different his Loar sounds...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

A5's for life. Get the nugget!!!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Where else should I look?

Fiddler's green always has a nice selection of Collings instruments, and Hill Country Guitars is not too far away. Hill Country Guitars is Collings' "flagship" store, so I have heard. Half their...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar signed A5's

Whoever is playing it now, do they have any recordings they have used it on? I would love to hear more of it! All I know is a few videos, and the John Hartford albums it was recorded on.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Wedding song suggestions ?

My wife walked down to my buddies playing Nickel Creek's "This Side"! It was great!!!
  16. Thread: A models

by TEvans
    Replies
    Views

Re: A models

On the note of A models, and specifically Joe's Nugget, Peghead just put out this video of him talking about it, and then playing a tune with Scott Nygaard. Great sounding mando!
  17. Re: Travel to Austin, TX, May 1-5... jams or sessions?

You're going to be in Austin on a Monday, which means that from 8-11 pm over at Radio Coffee and Beer on Manchaca and Ben White, you can catch the weekly bluegrass night. Some real solid players...
  18. Re: Response to the "10,000 hour rule" by the original researcher

I started playing music on bass, and my first teacher, who is a very good player, told me, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

I think that 30 minutes of "perfect...
  19. Re: Can't seem to get a grip on my pick, it's always wandering of

looser grip. It's counter-intuitive. But the more you try to hold on tight, the more its going to move around. A very loose pick grip is going to yield better tone, faster playing, and a pick...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Krishot mandolins

Whoops! Think that was my auto-correct kicking in. It was definitely a PasserniG mandola. Super awesome instrument. I have been trying to convince my wife to let me buy it all week.

You...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: My (New to me) Ellis A5!

to Pheffernan, I would call my Ellis neck a soft V neck. Very thin and comfortable. The violin "speed" finish is particularly nice.

To Flatrock - Precisely. The string tension is pulling the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Frets worn already?

Hey Long Black Veil! I've got an Ellis A5 as well, and the frets do have some wear on them. I play this thing a lot! But I think as long as the note is still fretting and ringing true (the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM-900 Recording

Great playing! And great recording! Tones were on the money. Really enjoyed it!
  24. Thread: Neck Relief

by TEvans
    Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Relief

I do most of the day to day setup on my instruments and on all of them, I strongly prefer #1.

My main reason for having my mandolin setup this way, aside from it being easier to play, is that it...
  25. Replies
    Views

New Mandolin Orange Album!

If you don't know this group, check them out! They are one of my favorites. Easy listening, good ole fashioned music. They've got touches of folk, bluegrass, country, all the good stuff. Lots of...
Page 1 of 2 1 2