Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Nylon String Mandolin?

Hello Crisscross - Do you still play this 'ukulele in mandolin tuning? Have you pursued any other nylon-string mandolins?
  2. Re: Where can I find nylon strings and a tailpiece for them?

Aquila used to make nylon strings for mandolins - but the E strings broke and they (to my knowledge) have not come up with another option, so those strings have been discontinued. I might consider...
  3. Replies
    Views

Another thought - try the Thomastik strings. They have less tension. And a 13" scale mandolin. All would make it easier. I have a Lyon & Healy which I use Thomastik strings on but, again, my issue is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Hi Stephen,
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I had to give up on all steel strings about 18 months ago. I've been searching desperately for an answer. Another builder is Bill Griffin (search...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: carrying instruments on airplanes

Boarding early is the key. Many flights are "through flights" so there may be 30 people on board already, even if you board first at your gate/point of departure. I agree with prior comments - I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: carrying instruments on airplanes

Hi Nick,
    Did you have a link to the TSA statement, or a pdf of the statement? I have a similar copy of an older decision from years ago which I keep in my case when traveling. Would love to have a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Good Blues Mandolin?

Hi all,
    Any recommendations for a good blues mandolin? What mandolin do you blues players play?
    I have an F4, an F5, a Weber Aspen (A with oval hole), and a 1925 Lyon & Healy. Obviously any of...
  8. Thread: A new Newell A

by shiloh
    Replies
    Views

Re: A new Newell A

Hi Obie,
    That is a beautiful mandolin!!!!! Funny thing, I've been thinking about buying a high-quality A5 someday. How would you say the neck profile compares to the Diamondback (fatter, narrower)...
  9. Replies
    Views

Thomastik Stark vs. Mittle

Hi everyone,

I tried the Thomastik Stark on my Weber Aspen. Tried them many years ago on another mandolin but didn't care for them on that instrument. I was surprised that I really do like them on...