Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Best Oval Hole A Mandolins for Orchestra Playing?

I really love my Lyon & Healy Model A for classical. But honestly the mandolin that sounds the best to you; that has the greatest playability for you; that appearance wise really grabs you - that's...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie questions -- where to start?

Mandolessons.com is a useful resource. If you can read standard notation, you’re a step ahead. Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin contains a wealth of information for anyone starting a mandolin...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin with Best Bluegrass Chop

If I'm not mistaken, most folks tend to buy mandolins for the lovely, woody tone that they can provide while playing a melodic lead, or while playing sustained chords or double-stops, and not for the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Cotton Pickin Kids

This kid is getting a lot out of that mandolin.

https://youtu.be/gezPgvMkXlI
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Blake's March -musical notation

Cool! A great tune for a yankee1! We support the Constitution!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tipping a Luthier

I have friends in the tree business. I tipped my luthier with rosewood.192027
  7. Thread: Apollo Picks !

by Buck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Apollo Picks !

Whether Apollo or other makers, I have had no problems with casein picks being particular fragile. Possibly very thin ones could be, but I play picks between 0.060" and 0.080" (1.5-2.0mm). IME they...
  8. Replies
    Views

Traditionally tipping the owner of a business is NOT customary. Tipping an owner used to be considered insulting. Yes, I realize the world has changed and respect is out the window.

Tipping an...
  9. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll - Gold vs Silver

I love the patina of the worn gold look on my J-45.

I prefer everything to look aged.

It matches me better....
  10. Replies
    Views

I would venture to guess that luthiers are seldom tipped for regular repair work. For that matter, you seldom tip a car mechanic, a plumber, or an appliance repairman. Not that offering extra money...
  11. Replies
    Views

As a luthier I can tell you that it is apparently not customary to tip a luthier. Once in a while someone pays me more than I ask for a repair, and even one or twice for a custom instrument, but it...
  12. Replies
    Views

I’ve been charged more than enough on some occasions.:(
  13. Replies
    Views

I am not well to do. I assume my luthier charges me what he considers to be a reasonable fee. However, I'm all for those who have money sharing the wealth.
  14. Replies
    Views

I got my Apollo picks. I like em. They're in rotation with my Wegen, CT55, and Primetones.

I have three spendy picks and each instrument will get the one that works best with it. Then each...
  15. Re: How Do You Play Angeline the Baker and Why?

I think it sounds better open stringed but to tell the truth I tend not to play it if I can help it.

That said here is a refreshing version from a Mandolin Monday session where both approaches are...
  16. Thread: Apollo Picks !

by onassis
    Replies
    Views

Just chiming in to say that I recently received a 1.5mm PEEK (A? H? whatever the larger triangle is). I got it to replace a similar PEEK pick (different maker) that I had lost. I'm loving it! It's...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading mandolin

Welcome! I would probably vote for the Eastman over the Seagull - among other things "when you buy, you sell" as a pal of mine's da used to say, and when the time comes that you might want to...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Wegen Pick

I have some TF120s that I've been using lately. I don't think anyone has mentioned that if you change your grip to uncover a couple of the holes in them, there's less wind resistance for faster...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Old-Time Discussion Board

If you are on Facebook, there are a number of groups. Here are two, but just out Old Time Music into search.

Old Time Mandolin Music

Carolina Old Time Music Network
  20. Re: A good reason to have more than one mandolin

I thought when the strings wear out you have to replace the mandolin and I've convinced my wife this is true.
  21. Re: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

Couple years ago, my wife and I went into a shop so I could check out a Givens that they had there. I had been listening to a lot of YT clips and was really liking the Givens sound and had prepared...
  22. Re: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

Nah, not a new confession. I never claimed to be a mandolin player. Just enough chop chords and a few melodies to be able to check them out when setting them up.
    Turns out owning a mandolin isn't...
  23. Thread: Polls

by Mike Scott
    Replies
    Views

Re: Polls

Maybe start a poll to see if people want to see polls..........:whistling:
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandovoodoo or something similar

You are a two hour drive from Randy Wood in Bloomington, Ga.

www.randywoodmusic.com
  25. Thread: Apollo Picks !

by Caleb
    Replies
    Views

Got my two Apollo picks yesterday and spent some time with them. I was planning on doing a pick comparison video with several different makes and models, but after watching some of these on YouTube...
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4