Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Shout out to Paul Shippey

This is my latest acquisition, an early Christmas gift. This fantastic instrument was made by Paul Shippey in Somerset (UK). Paul is a brilliant luthier and an awesome guy to work with.

I am a...
  2. Solo mandola: Le Petit Chien (schottische) by Andy Cutting

I recorded a version of this tune several months ago with overdubbed guitar and bass. I've received some requests since then for a solo version of the tune featuring just mandola. Long story short, I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Quint mandolins

This statement illustrates the futility, or at least the difficulty of using words to describe tone. I don't believe I've ever heard the lack of woodiness touted as a good thing. Except maybe...
  4. Replies
    Views

Tombigbee Waltz

I finally decided to get around to learning this tune that a friend kept sending my way. In the process of learning it, I decided it would be fun to play cross-tuned (GDGD) on my octave mandolin. ...
  5. Thread: Harp guitars.....

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Harp guitars.....

No bass strings but the ad says “harp mandocello”
  6. Thread: Harp guitars.....

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Harp guitars.....

I am currently building a harp tenor guitar or is it a tenor harp guitar. Anyway, if anyone would have built a harp mandocello it probably would have been the Larson Brothers.
  7. Replies
    Views

La Partida - Venezuelan Waltz

La Partida is a fairly famous Venezuelan waltz. My version is simple, just as I learned it a few years ago and it's how it's played around here..:mandosmiley:

uSPB3_nGnLg

The photos in the...
  8. “Simple et belle” by Ernest-Louis Patierno

This is my arrangement of “Simple et belle” (Simple and beautiful) composition for solo mandolin by Ernest-Louis Patierno (1863-1929)
    I tried to present this composition as close as possible to the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Comenius hymnbook

for Tenor Guitar

Songs: Boze nas, tys pred veky 00:00; Jezisi, slavo nejvyssi 00:21; Kriste, Synu premily 00:59; O Boze veliky 01:34; O Pane Jezisi 01:52; Pane nas, Jezisi 02:11; Smiluj se, Boze...
  10. Replies
    Views

Comenius hymnbook

Songs from Jan Amos Komensky's hymnbook (John Amos Comenius's hymnbook). Published in 1659 in Amsterdam.

for GDAD Bouzouki
    Songs: Boze nas, tys pred veky 00:00; Komuz milost spaseni 00:22;...
  11. Article: Introducing ASsestra - Relief from Chronic Stringed Inst

You can view the page at https://mandolincafe.com/forum/content/938-Introducing-ASsestra-Relief-from-Chronic-Stringed-Instrument-Purchasing

12. Replies
    Views

In EU and buying from UK

Up to recently I had avoided buying a mandolin from the UK due to the Customs hassles I have had when importing small items from the UK post-Brexit.

I am happy to report that both Eagle Music and...
  13. The Beatles: Here Comes the Sun (solo Pomeroy mandola)

I apologize in advance if anyone is tiring of the Beatles kick I've been on lately. At any rate, here's the latest:

https://youtu.be/mBCjCsbWbBA
  14. MP3 of the Day - Sunflower Schottische by The Buckhannon Brothers

MP3 of the Day

From the Mandolin Cafe MP3 Library.

Song title: Sunflower Schottische
    By: Sunflower Schottische by The Buckhannon Brothers from the album Little River Stomp
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: David Lindley, RIP

RIP David. What a musical legacy he left behind.

Another one with 8 strings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njlh1BA0E58

njlh1BA0E58
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Spinal Tap - Stonehenge

An anniversary so important in the history of mandolin it has few equals, so we celebrate today.

March 2, 1984 - Mockumentary This is Spinal Tap released featuring the hilarious mandolin-themed...
  17. Some nice mando playing by Fergal Scahill

It's always nice to come across some lovely mando playing in the Irish music world where the it tends not to feature that much, compared to more "mainstream" instruments.

Anyhow, this clip of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Girl I Left Behind Me

FW0b7O5EFS8
  19. Replies
    Views

The Girl I Left Behind Me

Here's a cheerful mandolin rendition of "The Girl I Left Behind" which I know as "The Girl I Left Behind Me." The band is "Mighty Maples." I know nothing about them other than that their album...
  20. Thread: DolinmanX

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Re: DolinmanX

https://youtu.be/_WzAZMJGWMc
  21. Replies
    Views

1930s F4 "Special" with an F5 neck

While lost in an ocean of Loar signed F5s in Knoxville this weekend, this gem was on display. An old Gibson F4 with a factory original F5 neck. I've always liked that configuration, especially with...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Ale Carr - great Swedish cittern player

Time for a bit more Ale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=LZUyOwPCOzc&fbclid=IwAR2XUjG77StN327_Gu8lzXtwW4ggJSgVNd5GbBTjm IbhwI4AZk6SDUgJLOs
  23. No Mandolin content but extraordinarily beautiful and instructive

lVtynZc6_-g

I came across this the yesterday and remembered a discussion with a guitarist friend about the importance of getting the fingertips in exactly the right spot re the fret. Apart from...
  24. Replies
    Views

Options for cases in EU/UK

Hi all,

I read with great interest the recent post about A stye cases. I've recently had to look for f style cases in Europe, so thought I'd share my experience...

Two things brought me to this...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

The two mandolins for the quartet strung up today. A bit exciting! The mandola and the mandocello will get done next week. They sound quite similar, but with subtle differences. So far, doing what...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4