Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: arthritis

Beginning my 9th decade, my 8th playing stringed instruments; these are my observations.
    1. Old age is not for sissies!
    2. One pays for one's earlier indiscretions!
    3. Bad hips, bad knees, lower...
  2. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

74003 - Seen, played, lusted for!
    :popcorn:
  3. Re: The Dilemma of Motivation, Attention Span, and Practice Regim

As I read this thread, I get an image of the people I've trained, over the past 45-50 years. Often the missing ingredient, for those who don't progress, is accountability.
    To put a "why" in place:...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Randy Wood Two-Point at Carter's

Sometimes price and provenance ought to take a back-seat to the appreciation of art! The mandolin stands on it's own as a representation of the luthier's art! ...And, oh yeah, you can play it, too!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

Yes
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The cure for MAS

My wife (RIP <3) had a pretty good deterrent: One-in-one-out. It controlled my MAS for a while, till I figured (dummy that I am) that she never checked the cases as I took them out! Even after losing...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Thanks for the reminder, Mark!

MC is "home" and provides a community I wouldn't want to do without!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sirius Satellite Bluegrass

I started listening to and playing BG in the mid-60's, and was fortunate to see most of the 1st generation bluegrassers. With the exception of live music (of which there was plenty in the N.Virginia,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Philphool, Phil Goodson, passes :(

RIP, Phil!

Drew's initial post included "I sure wish I could pick one more with him!'

Having lost my wife suddenly, in February, I can say, with great certainty, there's a slim line, we tread...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Storm videos

Wow! Thanks for the videos, Carl! Glad you came through with little damage! Not much like that here in Towson, MD; did watch "Twister" the other day! Scary, where you are!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Whatcha up to?

Good luck with YOUR new normal, Daniel! Entrepreneurship, whether by choice or chance, is a tough slog. Once in it, the values and benefits can be well worth the efforts! Been "my own boss, chief...
  12. Re: Looking for info on F body built by Jim Harvey of Western MD

Great looking mandolin! Real homegrown craftsmanship! I'd be anxious to have it set-up, only to improve its playability and, perhaps, sound. One-way-or-another, I'd be happy with a purchase like that!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playability"

Hey, DC! If you take the online purchase route, I would add to Dennis Vance, at The Mandolin Store, Kevin Douglas, at MandoMutt! Both of these guys are 1st class, and very interested that you get the...
  14. Re: I can’t play mandolin -no, I’m telling you.

Thanks, Simon! For:
    #1 A Ted Talk I hadn't seen!
    #2 A good lesson to carry forward!
    #3 A real strong reminder of the cost of the limitations we can carry with us and the value of the opportunities...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for newbie in SC

Pack a sandwich for lunch and aim your car south along I95, calculus whiz! That'll take you to Rte. 81, about 100+/- miles South. Go west on 81 to Bloomingdale, GA and Randy Wood's Music Store....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Valuing a Gibson by Dr Lori

"Not to rain on your parade, Dr. Lori; perhaps some general educational information to help! From this view, that 20's Gibson A-Jr., even assuming top condition, is worth right around $1000...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins "Opening Up"

Thanks, Jerry!
    1. For revisiting the topic.
    2. For your comment regarding a good, positive way to respond when one sees a topic he or she believes has been exhausted.
    3. For reminding us that this...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Free Waterloo Mandolin

19. Replies
    Views

Re: Intonation

It is said that mandolin players spend 50% of their time tuning and 50% of their time playing out of tune! Part of the lessons of experience include becoming "a little" calloused to the quirks! That...
  20. Replies
    Views

Loar-period A-Jrs.

Having, over the years, passed on several opportunities to own LL's, for various reasons, I have finally achieved my goal of purchasing a Lloyd-period Gibson. So... maybe not one LL paid much...
  21. Re: -If you could have any mandolin in the world….

It's very simple...Ms. Griffith's A5 Loar! Not for the monetary value; sound, feel and mystique!

22. Replies
    Views

Re: Busking! who's gone and done it?

Busking...
    1. Pretty much what we did playing BG in the 60's! Even when we had a job, in a bar, the hat attached to the mike stand collected more than the bar paid!
    2. Most money I ever made...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

Thanks, Scott, for posting that! I met Alec Finn for the first time, today, and said goodbye, as well! His statement, at the end of the video, is a perfect representation of, not just himself, but...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Cool music venues in Savannah GA?

Randy Wood Guitars, including the Pickin' Parlor...all you need to know!

http://www.randywoodmusic.com/pickinparlor.html

Saturday, October 6th: Bobby Lee Rodgers Jazz Ensemble

25. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario Monel Strings !

After decades of bronze wrapped strings (from the standard J74s to the coated EXP74s and EXP75s)I was given the opportunity to try the monels during the Beta period (I believe they are 11-15-26-40)....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4