Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Considerations for buying early F4?

Yeah, it was me.

Based on the recommendations here, I called Gruhn and ended up talking to George himself. I felt comfortable with what he had to say and he also sent me a video clip of the 1912,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Considerations for buying early F4?

I rather like the smaller frets on the old Gibson's. I have other mandolins with the more modern width frets, but don't find playing the old thin frets any problem. In fact my '22 A2 plays as easy as...
  3. Thread: Tragedy

by Jeff Mando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tragedy

As we so often see, no followup from the OP.

He must have collected on his $30,000 insurance policy.......:whistling:
  4. Re: 6 Vintage Gibsons on the cover of Norman & Nancy album

I was able to find a CD copy of this for sale online. Thanks to all for the recommendation.

MP3 DL versions available, but I went for the hard copy which hopefully has the liner notes...
  5. Re: 6 Vintage Gibsons on the cover of Norman & Nancy album

Was looking thru my albums yesterday and still have that one. I'll have to dust off the turntable.
  6. Re: 6 Vintage Gibsons on the cover of Norman & Nancy album

The people: Norman turned 84 last month. He and Nancy retired from performing several years ago. They are both in good health and stay close to home. I believe that Norman is working on another...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A Junior Snakehead: NMD

I love the sound of this instrument and it definitely looks classy. It records well too, at least into GarageBand on my iPhone. Really big sound, bright but still warm. I am absolutely pleased that I...
  8. Replies
    Views

1924 A Junior Snakehead: NMD

My first vintage mandolin purchase, and the instrument is certainly better than I am. Played a bunch of vintage Gibsons at the shop (Retrofret in Brooklyn), including an F4 with Virzi and an F12,...
  9. Re: Blacktop 1911 F2 - 3rd time for sale in 3 years.

Well, it's now on hold, so it's getting a 3rd chance at finding a forever home :)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Strange F4....

Thanx for the request, but I don't do pics. Just a bit tech-challenged at my advanced age...
  11. Thread: Strange F4....

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

I'm assuming the first digit of the serial number to be a 5, so that would indicate an original shipping date of 1919.

However, the rosette appears to be characteristic of much later production,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Hopefully not holding the mandolin.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another blonde F4...but

You had to go and be "that guy" :grin:

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another blonde F4...but

I don't think the owner appreciated my offer, haha.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Stewmac Golden Age tuners

Sounds like a tight nut slot, maybe an issue with how the string is wrapped around the post. You might want to check that out before you plunk down the money for the Waverlys. YMMV.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-4, Teens vs 20s

Well, for those who consider power to be of paramount importance, the three most powerful mandolins I recall playing were an X braced Gilchrist F-5, a rather beat up Lloyd Loar signed F-5 [I]with a...
  17. Thread: 61 F5 at Carters

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: 61 F5 at Carters

1961:

Ted McCarty is Gibson's president. His interests are largely focused on furthering the development of the electric guitar. I don't know whether Julius Bellson, who was a mandolinist, was...
  18. Re: Why did Gibson return to Paddleheads after Snakeheads?

That question will start a debate.

In my experience, Gibson oval hole mandolins can vary tremendously in tone quality and projection. The year or model does not seem to be a determining factor to...
  19. Re: Why did Gibson return to Paddleheads after Snakeheads?

Per Paul Fox's book - Shipping totals 1935 to 1945

Model A
    1935 - 0
    1936 - 2
    1937 - 1
    1938 - 0
    1941 - 2
    1942 - 1
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Can this Gibson really fetch such a price?

Maybe it's full of Dave Apollon's toenail clippings?

Either that or Dr. Lori the antique appraiser is at it again ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY2_sR-ERU4
  21. Re: Campanella, Red Diamond, Northfield, Collings experience

My guess is that if more folks spent more time using their hands and ears when shopping for an instrument, instead of focusing on names, specs, or a particular look; there would be a lot less...