Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Overspray (not mandolin specific)

Also interesting. A quick search gives this, from the art conservation community
    https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/01-10.pdf
    I would think there’s lots more to read about, so my...
  2. Replies
    Views

This is interesting. What will fluoresce, the old or new finish? I went into the bathroom with a cat pee flashlight (black light) and a Galiano-labelled oval hole Stradolin that I am fostering. The...
  3. Replies
    Views

Use a black light, it will show all discrepancies "hidden issues" when in doubt with ones own eyes. Yes nitro-lacquer is most used and back in the mid 20's onward, Gibson would refurbish older...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Fitting a backstrap overlay

That's about the long and short of it yes. The way I do it is to use a spindle sander with a fence to get the headstock to final thickness, and then the same sander without the fence to shape the...
  5. Thread: Trading

by Aaron Bohnen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Trading

I know it's not original, but here's another +1 for this idea. Collings mandolins sell quite easily at sensible prices that tend to satisfy both sellers and buyers. Several reasons I guess, not least...
  6. Thread: Trading

by vic-victor
    Replies
    Views

In the old USSR days it was illegal to sell the apartments but was perfectly legal to swap them. So people went to great lengths swapping apartments in order to reach their goals. Sometimes there...
  7. Thread: Trading

by jimmy powells
    Replies
    Views

When it was made or who made it has no relevance. You answered your own question. Current street value is what it is all about.
  8. Thread: Trading

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Deviating to address the question of trading for a Stratocaster: Unless you are interested in the collectable value, I would find a Strat that played well. I have played lower end Strats that were...
  9. Thread: Trading

by William Smith
    Replies
    Views

I always swap as its great to try new/old stuff! Sometimes its even sometimes I swap something worth less for something worth more and vise versa, as long as both parties are happy and agree that's...
  10. Thread: Trading

by pheffernan
    Replies
    Views

In a word, yes. I tend to think of resale or trade value as roughly 70% of current replacement value, not original sale price.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Woodworking Machines

Large bandsaws give us several advantages. The blade bends around a larger radius wheel than a smaller saw, and that means that there is less work hardening/metal fatigue, so fewer broken blades. The...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Detailed plans for a dovetail neck joint jig

My dovetail video from a few years ago:

https://vimeo.com/149088032?cjevent=c81c3cd58f2911e981ab006a0a240611

The goal is for everyone to make better mandolins, not get distracted with too...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Negotiating trades on the Cafe

I've only participated in a trade once on the classifieds, and I can't remember offhand if the gentleman I traded with put a wanted classified up or mentioned it in a thread (I think he initially...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on Shellac?

Here in Ontario, Canada I use a very pure (99.9% or better) ethyl alcohol from a producer/supplier called Commercial Alcohols. There's a fair bit of government red tape involved but it is the...
  15. Re: What explains the cost difference between high end mandolins?

1. Evenness and complexity of tone across the neck.
    2. Power.
    3. Ease of play.
    4. Correct choices for wood, structure, and finish.
    5. Time spent fine-tuning the box.
    6. Time, attention to...
  16. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

I made the assumption we were talking about the cover not the entire mandolin being chrome.

And I was wrong, it is a total metal body. I'd probably just leave that alone if that was me. Assuming...
  17. informative/interesting build pictures/tech from Stan Miller

I've found a large amount of techniques and ways to do things just looking at Stan Millers site.

hope this helps someone else.

http://millermandolins.com/Construction/Con1.htm

d
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

FWIW, I appreciated the philosophical earlier post.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Just like fire would.

Yep, pretty funny, but I just couldn't quite laugh because the element of the human condition that inspired it is so disappointing.
  20. Re: Fitting bone bridge saddle on guitar- no mando content

Habit. It's been the industry standard for a very long time. Like, even before I was born.

I hear a very discernible difference in sound between 1/8" and 3/32" saddles, and have converted wide...
  21. Re: Fitting bone bridge saddle on guitar- no mando content

After sanding, either using the drum you have illustrated, Rick, or the flat plate with abrasive paper taped on, I tend to fine-finish saddles using a cabinet scraper - they do work well on bone if...
  22. Re: Fitting bone bridge saddle on guitar- no mando content

You can safely cut it to proper length right away if it is also too long, otherwise you won't be able to easily check it's fit thickness. Use a flat trued surface like a piece of marble and rub the...
  23. Re: Fitting bone bridge saddle on guitar- no mando content

Before I had this around, I did that task on a stationary belt sander. To do it on the belt sander or manually on a flat surface with abrasive on it, you can double-stick-tape it to a flat block to...
  24. Re: Heat blankets, bags of BB's and what-not

I have a heating blanket setup and it is great. In fact, I just used in on a Martin neck reset. That said, I don't think I would bother for a one off job either.

Over BBs, I would go with a piece...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Best finish for tone

A thin finish. When the film is thin (though thick enough to do it's job of helping seal out dirt and moisture and protecting the wood from light contact and wear), it almost doesn't matter what the...
Page 1 of 2 1 2