Search:

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

Much depends on where you put your thumb during playing. Folks who hold the thumb on the very lowest point of neck (like classical guitar players) usually prefer flattish rounded profiles (depending...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Humidity gauge

RH sensors are inherently not that accurate. It's easy to measure temperature accurately, not so much molecules of water in the air. I used them at work and I needed very accurate sensors for our...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

I'm with the "you've got to play fast" school. I know that in tai chi, after doing the moves slowly for years, you're supposed to be able to use them rapidly when necessary for self defence. However,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

There is also the pulse effect where the less experienced fiddlers feel that the beat is slightly in front of them, so they speed up - to catch up.
    So the others speed up etc.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

Haven't had an after breakfast tune for a wee while. This is Jimmy Shand's classic tune The Bluebell Polka. It was very popular when I was young, indeed it was a great favourite of my mother who...
  7. Replies
    Views

Tom Wright Trio -- new video

This rolls tomorrow, Sunday 3/10, at 8pm Eastern. We revisit the tunes from my "Tailwind" album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMCZzERmgM
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: David Benedict's new dream mandolin

Pretty nice "freebie." Though, the couple comments about Oliver letting him "play it for free," sounds like maybe he's not going to be keeping it? Also, the references to "Loar specs," but it also...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Um, yeah, you tuned your what which way? :confused:
  10. Replies
    Views

There is a musical reason for that though. C, A, G, E and D are the only keys with open string, first position chords. That is the sound expected and demanded of bluegrass guitar. I can play in...
  11. Replies
    Views

I wish I could remember the words of Pete Martin, something like, “there are no difficult keys, only unfamiliar ones.”
  12. Replies
    Views

I'd say that prejudice comes from a few places (no order)

1. Ignorance of other ways to play something
    2. Lacking the skills needed to do something another way
    3. Lacking the confidence in ones...
  13. Replies
    Views

Basics. A “key” is nothing more than a “container” for seven diatonic notes, and for the specific harmonic triads of thirds formed from those notes, thus, seven specific triads.

I see very little...
  14. Re: Violinists: What are the mellow/smooth violin strings? (Nmc)

This is great information. Thanks everyone. My wife passes along her gratitude as well. It’s wonderful to get some insight not only on strings, but the other considerations of set up, bow re-hair...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here's a classic Mike McGoldrick tune in 7/8 time.
    I've included some Bulgarian paintings which I hope you will find more interesting than looking at me playing the tune!!! :))

16. Re: Violinists: What are the mellow/smooth violin strings? (Nmc)

I am, at heart, an old violinist who found a new friend in the mandolin in 2016. When I was really looking for a perfect classical sound for my violins, I used to buy Evah Pirazzi Gold sets. They...
  17. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hey Aidan,

I just made a video of those jigs I did for you all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjWxcbB-QBU
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Humours of Glynn

Thank you, Doug. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong with posting an MP3. It doesn’t play for me.
    That “not human” backup is Strum Machine, btw.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Fletcher tenor guitars?

The other video does indeed show a tenor banjo player, Angelina Carberry (my former banjo instructor from back in the day!) and the fella in the video with her is her now ex-husband Martin Quinn, who...
  20. Replies
    Views

I recently performed a live solo concert, and here are the two halves (there was a short interval in between).

Part 1:
    lg4YRZA8bII

Part 2:
    X_uSTVnDOq4
  21. Replies
    Views

7/8 time Bulgarian Rock. Though it could be Russian. It doesn’t get better than this! :))
    The title means Pamela’s Purse.

https://youtu.be/O1Fc7WcIbog?feature=shared
  22. Replies
    Views

New Tom Kimber video

Just came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWkHESxglI&ab_channel=TomKimber

Enjoy.

Nigel
    https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/tenor-guitar/tom-kimber-tenor-guitar/
  23. Thread: Ear Train

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Train

Embedded

zkntChAHKTk

enayidbYURQ
  24. Thread: Ear Train

by Woolybug25
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Train

My vocal coach recommended to me the PanoTuner app, which is free. It essentially is just like a regular tuner that picks up sound. With it, I can practice hitting certain notes vocally as well as...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Beato Interviews Bela!

_xNR2VHOzcY
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4