Search:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Lyon & Healy Quintet

Friends, here is a video of John Renbourn's Traveller's Prayer arranged for the Ecco Mandolin Ensemble, performed exclusively on Lyon & Healy instruments: a Style B, an asymmetrical style A, a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Here you go -- one of my first and favorite arrangements for the Ecco Mandolin Ensemble, Traveller's Prayer by John Renbourn, performed on all L&H Instruments (the dola, cello, and bass from the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

They are living as quietly as possible, and both doing quite well.
  4. Replies
    Views

Norman Blake is 86

I just read that Norman Blake turned 86 on 10th March, and I would like to wish him well.

I saw him play on my first trip to the USA in 1977, and have always enjoyed him ever since.

Thanks for...
  5. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  6. Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I am SO happy to see that Paul Hostetter's website is again available; when I last looked 5 or 6 months ago, it was not. It's a wonderful resource, and he was a frequent poster here.

IIRC, his...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

Try break it down in phrases, and get those up to speed. Then try stringing two phrases together, and get those up to speed. Then string a third to the first two, etc. I’ve worked on East...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Spinal Tap - Stonehenge

Once again, it's an important date in history:

March 2, 1984 - Mockumentary This is Spinal Tap released. Remember D minor is the saddest of all keys.
  9. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

I've shown this around a lot of places, but I don't think it has been posted here.

This is my giant ball vise for carving arched plates. It has several different fittings so I use it for...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Strad-O-Lin neck joint revealed

Not strictly a butt joint but actually a mortise and tenon. There is at least a little side grain gluing surface, if the fit is good. there is also some side grain glue surface between the back and...
  12. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

One more observation about Northfield before commenting and a few pics of Elderly Instruments. Of all of the NF mandolins I played I really fell in love with one of the Artist series models. But the...
  13. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Rough Fret Edges

"Lemon oil", the commercially available stuff, is almost always mineral oil with lemon fragrance added. Oils do nothing to re-hydrate wood. Proper relative humidity can do that, but often a shrunken...
  15. Replies
    Views

Mike Marshall and Sarah Jarosz

I always heard mandolin music was cool, and here that notion is affirmed

FX8vnFEGYEo
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Early 1922 F4 tuner slips

Thank you for all your help. After carefully examining the tuners and headstock, i was convinced that the D tuner was worn and the headstock drill was fine. Frank Ford said his repair on a 22 F4 was...
  17. Thread: Thermalwood

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thermalwood

You can find sections of persimmon heartwood that is black and large enough to use for mandolin parts. I have a bunch of it here as well as the mottled mixed black color.
  18. Thread: Thermalwood

by Joe Mendel
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thermalwood

Several years ago Tom Thiel developed a chemical process to blacken persimmon all the way through and it was beautiful. The problem was the chemical bath only worked for one use, making the cost...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Dangit, it snuck up on me again this year. Ah for the sound of the blazing 14.4K modem and the computer that might have had 32 MB of RAM, though I doubt it did.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice On Fixing This Binding Issue

Yours is quite a bit simpler than this one because you only have to deal with the surface veneer and not the whole side thickness like this one.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice On Fixing This Binding Issue

Looks like the side is plywood (laminated) and a section of the surface layer is sanded/worn through into the underlying layer.
    It would be quite the learning experience, and beyond the call on an...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about radius

If there were awards for advice...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Close. There's not a lot of the wood neck shell left, but some CF and a lot of empty space inside. The all-CF necks are difficult to work with, so that A-model is one of several experiments (to...
  24. Thread: Here It Is

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Here It Is

https://youtu.be/ovvPyVeaMec?si=o1zq39Xrko3QJH7e
  25. Re: Question about a ~1911 Gibson Style "A" "M&W Bulls head" case

This Vintage Cases FB group was mentioned in one of those threads:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagemusicalinstrumentcases/
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4