Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Decisions, Decisions

FYI: I have developed degenerative arthritis of my trapezius bone at the base of my left thumb. For a long time playing mandos with thicker neck profiles and wider nut widths helped with the pain....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin, TX this weekend

PS: That's the SOUTH Threadgills location for the Gram Parson's Birthday Bash, (threadgills.com)
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin, TX this weekend

+1 on TEvans suggestion. That's a great spot, great musicians, loose atmosphere. Also, Fiddler's Green has a Traditional Irish Session every Sun 3 - 6, or go to centraltexasbluegrass.org, there are...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix Jazz Mandolin review

Not a pickup guru but payed a friend's Phoenix at a jam and was surprised by the volume and presence of this instrument. My first impression based on looks was influenced by my prejudice towards...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What do ya'll call your mandos?

I can never sell one after I've named it ... and they all have names. I usually use female names related to the builder, struggling with the Dudenbostel, I call her "the Dude" most the time, but...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

George, i too have developed arthritis in the base of my left thumb ... hurts, but I still sometimes would like to be able to, as JeffD says, play an improvisation "informed by the melody". Well...
  7. Replies
    Views

Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

I am squarely an intermediate player, despite my many years of playing. I have worked hard to get some "fancy" leads under my fingers and can even pull one off in a jam occasionally. I've made the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Jamming nerves!

One last bit of advice that has helped me - Stay loose. I tend to tighten my grip on the neck and the pick when I get nervous. Everything Tobin said plus consciously loosen your grip(s) before you...
  9. Re: Ricky Skaggs' mandolin(s) right before The New South 1975

I know that Ricky bought one of the early Ellis mandolins, before Tom became "famous". When I was introduced to Tom I was told Ricky owned one of his mandos, but that was likely in the mid 80's....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass: The new Americana!

Allen always seems to neatly organize the thoughts of the thread so well! Great discussion.
    I live in Austin and have been attending the same festival for many many years, Old Settlers Music...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Science of Sound?

Instruments and the music they produce are mysterious and wonder-filled things that, perhaps, shouldn't be overly quantified/analyzed scientifically or otherwise. The fact that this subject (and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Kaufman Kamp 2016--Who is Going?

I'm going, my first, taking mando classes, but bringing guitar also. Going to drive there from Austin. Looking forward to it, but don't have a whole bunch of bluegrass tunes in the pocket yet. Should...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: strapholder A mandolin tone influence ?

The alternative is to attach to the headstock in some way which seems obtrusive to me, and could conceivably cause some lateral flexion of the neck. You see plenty of pickers who do it this way but...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Down In The Flood

Oh, so sorry, Mark. The good news, as it relates to your instruments at least, is that high humidity tends to be far less damaging than the opposite, I'm told. You're in the drier part of Texas so...
  15. "Bear Claw" spruce vs good straight grained spruce

Does anyone care to opine on the differences to expect between figured "bear claw" spruce and a good quality straight grained spruce. The application is the soundboard for an OM. I was told figured...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mr. Bojangles

I understand. Sometimes my own playing just doesn't seem like the way a "real" mandolin player would do it (like you I started on guitar). But then isn't all music/art interpretive (easy excuse for...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mr. Bojangles

Loved it Mark! Good work. Had to get out my mando and play along. Such a great song, such a great song writer. Haven't yet made it to Pearl but gonna try in May - maybe. Hope to see you there. You...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Today While Mandolinin

TWM - got the band back together for a gig in our "home" neighborhood bar, first time in over two months. Was worried we'd be loose but felt like putting on your favorite old slippers, comfortable...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Electronic Music - It Has No Soul?

As a long time and unabashed acoustic snob I do appreciate amplification (slightly off subject) as a way to simply reach more listeners, to the extent that it is important to do so. However, the goal...
  20. Replies
    Views

Figured out a basic intro and lead for Eight More Miles to Louisville. Great song, thank you Grandpa Jones.
  21. Replies
    Views

Played bluegrass with an old friend and others on the front porch while we watched a storm blow in from the north with lightening and thunder. Mmmmm, life is good.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Henry: Mandolinist and Monroe Stylist

Thanks Ivan, I never heard it explained that way ... yet another technique to work on. The more I learn the more I'm aware of how little I know!
  23. Replies
    Views

Today while mandolinin ... went to an open mic led by a guy I'm starting a band with and we happily discovered that we played a few songs together reasonably well on the fly, as it were, he on guitar...
  24. Re: Exercises to loosen left hand fingers for fretting

I'm developing arthritis in the base of my left thumb and this stretch helps me a lot: Extend your left arm out to your side horizontal to the ground, place your hand on a wall with your palm flat to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: When you start to get worse

For me, it becomes about playing the music instead of trying to play the notes, step back and let the rhythm get into your head, perhaps listen to or play along with your favorite version. I get...
Page 1 of 2 1 2