Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Billy Strings and Christopher Henry - Midnight on the Stormy

Billy on mandolin with Del.

ZGj5MONmdlE
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Simply Bluegrass - Full Episode 1

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but pianos and bluegrass reminded me of a story. Years ago my friend's fairly traditional bluegrass band, guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and bass, was playing a...
  3. Re: Domenico Scarlatti mandolin compositions?

The notes on YouTube offer some explanation about these pieces and the theory they may have been written for mandolin.

“In Domenico Scarlatti’s vast output of 555 keyboard sonatas, there are a...
  4. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

Good hunch about the use of AI. There are tools such as ZeroGPT to estimate how much of the text was generated by AI. For this mandolin-related item posted on that website, ZeroGPT says it is 100%...
  5. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

This may be of interest. It’s from another thread on the Cafe.

T4HxyRo9kiQ
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Jackie brown by John Mellencamp?

Oops, those chords should be G#minor and C#minor. Without the capo it starts on E then the G#m.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Jackie brown by John Mellencamp?

Good song! A good place to start is with the chords.

It uses the I, IV, and V chords, but gets tricky with a minor iii and minor vi. Mellencamp plays it with a capo on the fourth fret of his...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Interesting set of threads from this user. With all due respect, it reminds me of AI generated content.
    Thoughts on the Newgrass Revival?
    Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank...
  9. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

I was fortunate enough to see this performed live last night in Berkeley. It is a very interesting and enjoyable take on the Ellington and Strayhorn presentation of Tchaikovsky. I would agree it’s...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Transitioning to a Bowlback

I found that it took a bit of practice to hold a bowl back but it didn’t take too long. This video from tavy helped me. Thank you, tavy, for sharing it.

About width of the fretboard, they...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Continuous tremolo technique

I’ll share this video that was posted in another thread. The technique in this video is very similar to the mandolin tremolo technique.

The technique in the video shared by RoamingJoe, using all...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: musical notation question

As written, the notation tells us to play the note above the purple arrow. The first beat is a sixteenth note followed by a dotted eighth. A dotted eighth has the duration of 3/16 so it plus the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

I enjoyed this one and am grateful that Willie at age 90 is still active and creative!

LlIn2VpdWxQ
  14. Re: Klezmer or traditional Jewish moon song?

I know practically nothing nothing about this but over on the Klezmer Shack I found Sheyn Vi Di Levone, Beautiful as the Moon.

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/sheyn-vi-di-levone-beautiful-moon.html
  15. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

More “atom splitting.” First few minutes give some idea of the character. Yes, he’s a character. Music starts about 2:55. Frank’s break is about 4:40.

tGiYrDBvvPU
  16. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

There is a bit of information about Frank on Wikipedia. There is an unsourced quote attributed to David Grisman about Frank, "He split the bluegrass mandolin atom. Some of us, obviously, will never...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: September 20, 1923

Interesting! I found this description and picture.

Atlanta, ca. 1920. Students at the Griffith School of Music gather with their musical instruments for this group photograph. The school which...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

In a completely different style, here is some tremolo that amazes me from Calace’s Preludio No 1 op. 45 played by Detlef Tewes. The notes for this video were written by Cafe member Robert Margo....
  19. Re: Tuning gears for vintage mandolin "L*RENZO NAPOLI"

Hello, Stephen. I recommend that you post photos of the instrument including the front, back, and label. I think you will get more responses that way.
  20. Re: Suzuki Neapolitan style 1980s good? [or others, beginner]

Mandolin bridges are not usually glued on. This allows one to adjust the intonation.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

I believe it was written by Dean Webb and Mitch Jayne.

PsKRyhsEvLo
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Look at Fingerboard,or Not?

I may have said this before about Mike Marshall and Catarina Lichtenberg. When I saw them performing together I noticed that Mike seemed to be looking at his left hand frequently. I doubt that he...
  23. Re: Bach BWV 1002, Partita I. Allemanda -- help fingering chord

Bruce’s comment about the violin got me to thinking. The bow is flat and by angling the attack, one can play two strings simultaneously for double stops. Move away from the bridge and apply pressure...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Seven Come Eleven - CGP with Dawg

NMC but some good guitar and singing here from the same album.

pM8rDroaz-E
  25. Re: ID Mandolin Player with Steve Goodman 1976

Eh4jo5IDVuo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4