Search:

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Skip Kelley
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The mandolin that Cheryl has is one that was made with the oldest wood that I had. It was purchased from Ted Davis’ stash. I now have red spruce that was cut over 100 years ago. It is much older. It...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Well, if Collings believes in using torrefied tops, then I have to believe that there is something to it. I have heard from a reliable, knowledgeable guitar player who has played hundreds of guitars...
  3. Re: 1989 Gibson F5-L ‘Custom Shop’ Jim Triggs

You have to understand how the Gibson Custom shop worked in the days of Jim Triggs and Greg Rich.
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I played over 40 Lloyd Loar signed mandolins, mandolas, and mandocellos plus a ton of other great instruments in the last two months.

Guess what? They all sounded like me playing an old mandolin....
  5. Article: Postal Service to Pay Tribute to Bluegrass Music with St

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1022-Postal-Service-to-Pay-Tribute-to-Bluegrass-Music-with-Stamp
  6. Early 1900s University of Washington Mandolins

I work at the University of Washington and came across some old photos of campus and had to scan this one in for you all.

I thought it was interesting to find five mandolins in this... Orchestra?...
  7. Replies
    Views

The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

This mandolin was featured in the "Sometimes a case tells a story" article recently.

hSCJPC5LrYo
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

PM me your address. I'd like to send you a few picks that I just don't use a whole lot anymore.

You're best bet will be to try as many as you can :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

send my your address in a PM or put it here in the thread and i'll send you a couple of white and black round mando Wegens in different thickness, ProPlec 1.5, golden gate, and a few more. i was just...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbee with Tuner Question

Loosening the gear screw creates added clearance at the tuner plates and makes turning easier, but it also causes lost screws and gears. Loosening the gear screws is a "quick and dirty" way to...
  11. Thread: Glen Duncan

by Astocek
    Replies
    Views

Glen Duncan

I've been thinking about Glen Duncan since hearing about his accident. The Mandolin Store raffle is a great way to support him.

Here's a cool video of Chris Henry interviewing Glen. I am sure...
  12. A Beatles V-day tune for loved ones who tolerate our mando habit

reel/C3WSE_vvAlK
  13. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

You did the right thing by notifying the vendor of their mistake. If it turns out you get to keep it somehow great but if not enjoy the new F5S.
  14. Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mistake

Hi all.

I thought I’d share this with you as I think it could be a nice opportunity to compare the two and share my thoughts with the community here. The situation is still in the process of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

I just had the pleasure of spending 3 days with James in his shop working on top carving. I learned a tremendous amount in just 3 days and feel like I'm several steps ahead in my mandolin-building...
  16. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

Here's my 1922 A-2 Sheraton brown with truss rod..I love this thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPve5q1dVMo
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

Jeff D,
    I have Gibson A2 snakehead brown top 1 piece back sn 74087 ton 11881 and I agree about the amazing sound. It is a real head turner.
    Interesting how our sn and fon’s make sense.
    Regards,...
  18. Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

goodness, everybody on this are top shelf. Sam Bush playing mandolin and bass, quick glimpse of him holding a blonde mando(does he have a new axe?), Bela, Tony T, Michael on fiddle and as always is a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Dead Zone

I appreciate all of the responses and it’s probably true that I’m a bit spoiled as a consumer in New England, with malls and shops of many kinds within a 20-minute drive. My objections to an hour’s...
  20. Appreciation Post for the Mandolin World (not the store)

I'm Jason, and I'm a recovering banjo picker. I started mandolin just over a year ago and have been at it, pretty obsessively, I'll admit. Besides practicing and learning the mandolin like my life...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Dead Zone

I've experienced that kind of internal pressure... especially if I've dragged someone else along and consumed a big portion of their day as well.

I appreciate all the feedback provided. I ended up...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

Hey Fretbear, thank you for posting my YouTube video of the Don Brown Loar. I hope you liked it
  23. Replies
    Views

Uncle Don Brown's Loar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ee3X2-AXW4
  24. Gifted another of my sons an instrument

I am at an age where I can’t play all the instruments I have collected. I have sold a number of them and given each of my three sons various Martins, Nationals and others. It gives me happiness. ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Today was a lot of fun. We opened up the soundholes while Luke's new red spruce top was on the test rig with him playing it live. I also did the same on an almost finished mandolin (2nd one this...
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4