Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

Some people are electric players -- that's what appeals to them. So, yes, IMHO. Fun with volume, extreme volume, and effects pedals...

And don't forget the choice of amp -- that is half of the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best light gauge mandolin strings

What do you mean by "I remove the braces"?
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking A-Strings in CGDA tuning

My Les Paul PeeWee (19" scale) is tuned like that [C G D A E B] using a .008 on the high B. The problem with going with too thin a string on an electric is there isn't enough metal to create a strong...
  4. Replies
    Views

I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I have had several 23 inch scale tenor guitars tuned up to pitch with.009 A string and the only time they break is if there is a sharp edge on the tuner hole or...
  5. Replies
    Views

FWIW I recently picked up a Squier Mini Jazzmaster to convert into a tenor. I had originally thought I'd have to change it from a 6 to a 5-string to get FCGDA tuning. Then I thought something like...
  6. Replies
    Views

I kept breaking the string on my Gibson TG-1, 22.81 scale, in CGDA. Solved the problem by tuning down a whole step from C to B, etc. Really full and deep sound is the result. I don't play the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Wound a-string?

16 year thread with repeated post subject.
  8. Replies
    Views

A regular steel .007 will break around G#4 relatively quickly at 25.5".

An Octave4Plus will get there, but needs a clean string path, and will NOT tolerate repeated detunings. I say that in view...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor guitars strung as octave mandolin

|When I used to work in The (now sadly defunct) Music Room here in UK, I used to restring the tenor guitars and tenor banjos on a regular basis.
    Every Chinese made TG and TB seems to come with...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor guitars strung as octave mandolin

You have certainly got guitarist hands.
  11. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

I agree with Bob Clark. I would take my electric mandobird when I stayed with my Mom who was in her 90s in an assisted living home. After she would go to bed I could practice unplugged and she...
  12. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

I do use and like three different 5-string fretted electric violins, playing them as violins and also as mandolins. I have a NS Designs NST active, their WAV-5 passive, and a headless passive acrylic...
  13. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Anyone used and like an electric violin? And is the tension different than a regular violin?
  14. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Maybe cuz you know where the notes are on mandolin? That's why I play mando instead of guitar. There are some advantages, the doubled strings offer sounds the guitar doesn't.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

i first saw ricky scaggs play the stratolin (named after the stratocaster) AND HE DID IT TO GET A DIFFERENT SOUND. THILE DOES NOT PLAY ONE BUT RONNIE MCOURRY DOES...... because the band is...
  16. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Guitar and mandolin share substantial range, so it is not simply the pitch. The short strings do have different attack and decay, but there is also a major effect of the pickup locations. Every...
  17. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Dunno if I have a heightened sense of aural perception, but I can hear the difference between an electric mandolin and an electric guitar in about two notes. I listened to Tiny Moore for years and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Lighter strings for beginners?

FWIW -- I'm just starting out, but upgraded my Mandolin from a Troublesome Creek Honeybee to a Northfield A5 Special. (Yeah, I took a leap of faith). I just did a cleaning and string change to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know of a suitable clip-on tuner?

For accuracy, I haven't found any clip-on headstock tuner that beats the Peterson StroboClip HD. I recommend it highly for guitar or mandolin.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning a mandolin like a mandola CGDA

I would try going down instead of up. Haven’t researched it but if the G, D, and A was moved
    down one and a heavier string used as a forth for C. Would seem to me if C string was right , pull on...
  21. Re: Transform a guitar into tenor guitar by changing the neck

If you're in EU or close (eg UK), at any rate anywhere east of the Pond, I think the cheapest workable way to get a tenor guitar is find a 2nd user Harley Benton tenor acoustic (thomann.de music...
  22. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Bill Frisell guitar used on "Good Dog, Happy Man".

23. Replies
    Views

Re: 12 string half-mandocello.

Two approaches I've taken:
    1. Tuned my old beater 6 string Applause guitar to all 5th's F-C-G-D-A-E. The low F just didn't work. I don't remember the gage I used for it. I restrung it in...
  24. Replies
    Views

Google "fatigue failure." That's what you're causing with frequent tuning changes.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar vs Tenor Banjo

According to s1141827 neither do John Pearse strings!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4