Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner for tap tuning

Topics been beat to death, but the BEST part of this thread is James' deer eating the popcorn !! Love it !! I got to find me that one !! :grin:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout-out for Luthier Steve Holst

Steve has been a HUGE influence. His web-site is eye candy !! I'm always amazed his name is not mentioned with the so called ' top tier' builders. Was VERY helpful a while back while I was making...
  3. Thread: Douglas fir

by Mandoborg
    Replies
    Views

Re: Douglas fir

Not trying to start Trouble Greg, but do I see three nasty cracks in that top or are my eyes playing tricks on me ? I've used D.F. for tops, mostly when first starting out,but like previously...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Stew-mac prices

Stew Mac has ALWAYS been good to me since I started messing with this stuff in 1982. While I don't need to buy much anymore, I'll still be a loyal customer. I've never once had a problem with them....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: V joint question

Yet to hear of any Ellis neck joint failures. I used dovetails on my first 6 or so, then built jigs to do V-joints, Then went a step further a few years ago and had CNC templates made like Tom's with...
  6. Replies
    Views

Combra Mandolin in the classifieds

Hey folks, somebody is selling a mandolin I built a while back and I wanted to clear up something the seller has stated. While I, and many others of my generation, have been influenced by John...
  7. Re: What was your biggest challenge in making an F style mandolin

What John said !!! Trying to explain to a customer that even though your charging $3,000, which is a deal, that your still only making $4.28 an hour !! :)) That and yes, binding that scroll can...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Nobody said it HAD to be Mandolin related right ? How 'bout a nice 1938 Trutone D-723 restoration !! Gotta get that 'Glow' . ;)

Jim

9. Thread: Maple

by Mandoborg
    Replies
    Views

Re: Maple

Mandolin making is only one tiny aspect of woodworking... I'd consider those slabs a HUGE score myself.....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New CITES info ?

For years I've been stashing away Cocobolo and Ebony boards . If this trend keeps up, they'll be worthless in 10 years !! Of course I'm kidding, but I can already hear people saying ' you can't do...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Carving map for A-model mando

For some reason i can't can't both pics to post in one section so here's the back.........148272
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Carving map for A-model mando

Nick here's some numbers from the one and only Loar A model . I believe I got them from our own Bruce 'Spruce' Harvie.

Hope there's something here that can help !!

Jim

13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Thanks Skip !!!! I have a thing for Blondes that carries over from Arch-top guitars !!! That's one fine instrument you built there yourself !!!!

Jim

https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.combra...
  14. Replies
    Views

Here's one that's just about ready to put together. Big Leaf, Bear Claw Red Spruce , and Bubinga.

Jim

https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.combra
  15. Thread: Monteleone

by Mandoborg
    Replies
    Views

Re: Monteleone

After 10 years I was wondering, did this ' interview' ever surface or was it much groveling for nothing ??? I printed this one out a long time ago and the pages are so dirty and tattered I've read it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A short film - Birth of a Luthier

Ivan, I put together a slide show a while back showing the building of an instrument. If you're interested here's the link......... not a traditional mandolin by any means, but it's all the same...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Just bent my first sides

'Used a heat blanket and am surprised at how easy it was' Sign of the times I guess !!! If that's your first set of sides, you really don't know how easy it was because you've never cracked 163...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Jerman "Irwin style" 5 string

Love it !!!!
  19. Replies
    Views

Looking good Max/Lauri !!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What's that smell?

I have some 20+ year old Basswood planks that already have that smell so Charlie was definitely on the right track. Just scratch the stuff with a fingernail and poof, instant vintage !!

Jim
  21. Replies
    Views

Time machine For a Monty ??

While cleaning off some shelves in the shop today I came upon an old pack of Monteleone literature from 1988. Check out this price list !! If only !! 139444
  22. Re: life changes; one door closes, another opens/hits you in the

I think one of the biggest myths in lutherie is that it is a 'glamorous' gig. I made the mistake of once totaling my hours vs. what I made off the instrument and realized I was making like $10 and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff H5 Build

You're doing a really good job on that !!! Keep it going !!!

Jim

https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.combra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUGTTuoRPs
  24. Re: "Sizing" in violin-making and its relevance to mandolin build

Everybody is different and each do things there own way, but I've never put anything on the interior of an instrument just as a favor to future repairman !! Kind of like repairing an F-Hole crack...
  25. Re: Let's see your odd sound holes and side ports...

Dobe, those are GREAT looking instruments !!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3