Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tune Title Request

It is Daley´s Reel indeed.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tune Title Request

I believe it’s Daley’s Reel. Many recordings of it around and a popular jam tune.
  3. Replies
    Views

Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

As some of our members here know already, I began working on an illustrated book of mandolin chords several years ago. Lifestyle changes and projected publishing costs put a damper on the project,...
  4. Re: Have y'all known this all along? (re: upstrokes)

A quick, dirty, & cheap temporary fix:
    A paper shim under the string at the nut is often just enough to allow proper clearance at the first fret. If the "proof of concept" works, then you can...
  5. Re: Have y'all known this all along? (re: upstrokes)

“ Can not get tone comparable to that of the other strings. Weak, unclear, no resonance.”
    I know you’ve had it set up, however, if you get clear notes on the A string, are no notes clear on the E?...
  6. Re: Have y'all known this all along? (re: upstrokes)

Agreed, this just comes naturally if you angle the pick a bit, as most of us do; it’s no big revelation.

I would challenge a couple of your assumptions though:

(1) You say this is not a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Basic Technique Primer 1

Hey all

After a seeing a few posts here and also fielding similar questions from students, I figured I'd post a basic technique primer for the picking hand. This is not meant as a be all end all,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns Warmup Thing Question

Here’s a site for Jethro fans. Scroll down to Jm Nikora - disc 1 and you can listen to Jethro explain the warmup think himself.

https://robcoleman.com/jethro/
  9. Replies
    Views

Free Waterloo Mandolin

Working with my contact at Collings and Waterloo and it looks like this is going to happen at some point in the near future.

Who'd be interested in a giveaway of one of these very fine mandolins?...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: shuffle pattern help request

No "modulation." But OBS is in the key of E, and Ragtime Annie is in D. I think you may be confused, here. Byron is not playing the melody of OBS -- he is using the double shuffle, a.k.a. hokum...
  11. Replies
    Views

Yup, this is the famous "Hokum Bow", also known as the "Double Shuffle." It was famously introduced to folk playing by none other than the great jazz violinist Joe Venuti, and made popular in its use...
  12. Replies
    Views

The pattern is the Hokum Bow, most famously used in the tune Orange Blossom Special. Reproduce it at a basic level on the mandolin by playing three-note groupings across two strings:

D D A - ...
  13. Replies
    Views

143 degree controller for hide glue

NFI, a friend makes this controller for yogurt, sauerkraut etc, also has one running a small chest freezer at 38 degrees as a refrigerator off PV panels, thought I'd try one out since my hotpot...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: replace adjustable bridge with fixed bridge?

There is a very interesting page Here on Frets.com where Frank Ford recounts the results of his experiment with a maple mandolin bridge ... interesting, and probably not what would be expected.

15. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles for Solo Mandolin

Mike Marshall was reading this discussion and offered this via an email.

16. Replies
    Views

Mandozine and Mandotunes merged

I have moved all Mandotunes content to Mandozine. All video files are now hosted on my Mandotunes YouTube channel, and audio files are hosted on Soundcloud. I will keep the existing Mandotunes site...
  17. Thread: Speed neck

by darylcrisp
    Replies
    Views

Re: Speed neck

i've speednecked my Northfield and a used Weber BitterRoot F that i acquired months ago. I love the feel and look of a speedneck.

Each took around 45 minutes start to finish. I inquired here on...
  18. Replies
    Views

Steven Holst "Kay Style"

I received this wonderful mando about tree weeks ago. Just an amazing machine, perfect for the music I play, Swing and Gypsy Jazz! The tonal range and nuance is fantastic.
    It is X braced and is...
  19. Re: Free backup tracks for Cherokee Shuffle?

Here you go:
    http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html
  20. Latest Jacobson Nautilus w/ custom Koi inlay

Here's the latest to make it through the obstacle course.

Sitka spruce top, quartered bigleaf maple back. Figured walnut neck and sides. This is lightweight instrument, extremely responsive and...
  21. Bridge / bar relationship; width of bridge

Image posted some time ago got me thinking about bridge width, actual and effective, and about the coupling to the bars.

Has anyone tried making each foot symmetric around the bars axis? The...
  22. Replies
    Views

The GAL Convention

The Guild of American Luthiers (GAL) is a professional association of luthiers based in Tacoma, WA, near where I happen to live. I've just finished attending their triannual convention and thought...
  23. Replies
    Views

Jacobson #23

Hopefully I'm not stealing Marty's thunder by posting this but he sent me the final pics for my mando before it ships out tomorrow. I'm so freaking excited!! I'm also going to include the link to the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Bussman does it again ( for the 526th Time)

http://youtu.be/j_lvnlWWsgA

Nice demo. Nice looking instrument.
    Bill
  25. Donnie on TV! A great interview with Don Stiernberg

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2014/04/22/don-stiernberg

Don't miss it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2