Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2024 Vintage Instrument Workshop

Another terrific Wintergrass and the Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop/tasting. It is always such great fun and this year Tim O'Brien, Eli West, Nina Gerber and Chris Eldridge did a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2024 Vintage Instrument Workshop

Just a reminder to come on out to Wintergrass next week if you can. I am really looking forward to a great line up this year, and it looks like we will have at least 3 maybe 4 Loar signed mandolin...
  3. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass 2024 Vintage Instrument Workshop

The workshop schedules are now posted on the Wintergrass 2024 site (https://wintergrass.com/) and again this year we are doing a Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop session. Wintergrass is...
  4. Re: Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

Fretboard Journal posted the video today from this Wintergrass workshop. A link is here:
  5. Re: Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

Thanks as always to Wintergrass for hosting us for this event each year and to all of the folks who help make it happen. We always end up having more instruments than we have time to get to at in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I sure Like the 29 Fern in the Classifieds

This mandolin sounded great in the Wintergrass Fretboard Journal Vintage instrument Workshop we did last year. Greg was kind enough to let us use it for this session and Sharon Gilchrist and Joe K...
  7. Re: Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

Glassweb

The list of vendors and builders should be posted soon - but I understand that this year at Wintergrass, the Builder’s Room will be at the far end of the Evergreen Hallway and these folks...
  8. Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

The workshop schedules are now posted on the Wintergrass 2023 site (https://wintergrass.com/) and we are once again doing a Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop session. For those who have...
  9. Re: “Washburn” vs “Lyon and Healy" branded style A mandolin valu

Mick - I added a photo of the Regal label above. The whole Chicago intertwined group of manufacturers is a very interesting story indeed. Catalog sales were the way of the world and so many...
  10. Re: “Washburn” vs “Lyon and Healy" branded style A mandolin valu

I also agree with Bob and Jim above that is it almost certain most of the L & H and Washburn carved mandolins were built in the Lyon & Healy factory before the sale of that division. Even though...
  11. Re: David Grisman - The Story of Crusher | Fretboard Journal

I agree the Fern is special. Jason did some video of Dawg playing and talking about his Fern the same day he did this video of Crusher so hopefully we will see that additional video out sometime...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mods to Hoffee case?

Hoffee will modify it for a modest cost if you pay shipping both ways or are close enough to take it there
  13. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass Vintage Instrument Workshop

As Scott has posted, Wintergrass is happening as an in-person event his year once again and we are doing a Fretboard Journal vintage instrument session. Wintergrass is a fantastic event, all indoors...
  14. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

A nice Loar H-5

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/david-grisman-performs-on-vladimir-gibson-loar-h-5-mandola-fretboard-journal/

Mark
  15. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass 2020 Vintage Instrument Workshop

The workshop schedule is now posted on the Wintergrass 2020 site and once again, we are doing a vintage instrument session. Wintergrass is a fantastic event, all indoors at the Hyatt Regency Hotel...
  16. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass 2019 Vintage Instrument Workshop

The workshop schedule is now posted on the Wintergrass 2019 site and once again we are doing a vintage instrument session. A terrific line up this year with Tim Stafford and Dale Adkins on guitars...
  17. Re: Northwest Camping/Festivals for an Overworked Guy

The Wenatchee River Bluegrass festival is my second favorite in the PNW other than Wintergrass. Always the 3rd weekend in June so you can plan in advance. Great campground and jamming all night,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe's guitar

I helped the Fretboard Journal folks interview Del McCoury last Spring and I asked him about Bill's D-28 herringbone that was stolen - he said it was a 1939 with a long pickguard and that it was...
  19. Re: Curious sunburst Lyon & Healy Style A with Regal label

I reached out to Bob Carlin (who wrote the book on Regal history) and Hubert Pleijsier (who wrote the book on Washburn history) and compared my notes with them. Neither of them, nor I, have seen...
  20. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass 2017 Fretboard Journal Workshop

The workshop schedule is now posted on the Wintergrass 2017 site and you will see that the Fretboard Journal folks are again hosting a vintage instrument workshop - this year with John Reischman...