Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Murphy’s Hornpipe

Are you referring to the Fiddler's Companion link I posted above? If you scroll down the alphabetical list, there are three tunes listed as Murphy's Hornpipe – mine is the 1st one, yours is the 2nd...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki tunes for Ali Beag MacLeod

Very sorry to hear that Ali Beag passed on a year ago – I haven't been keeping up. I'm due a listen to The Braes of Badentarbat (which I love).
  3. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

I learned The Showman's Fancy in C, after hearing played in that key by Pat O'Connor on a compilation called Music and Song from East Clare, which I picked up on cassette in Scarriff one August. ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A sensational find...

Thanks, Aidan, for the heads up – sweet music indeed. YouTube's auto-play followed it up with a video of Macdara providing beautiful accompaniment to his brother Pax's equally beautiful fiddle...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Set of tunes by O’Carolan

Beautifully played. It's nice to hear O'Carolan's tunes given space to breathe.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Surviving Lockdown

Thanks, Aidan. If I may return the compliment, I very much enjoyed your tunes and chat on the Blarney Pilgrims Podcast.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Surviving Lockdown

Yes, I keep six accordions at 2m intervals across my front room (which I myself find puzzling, as I live in a small terraced house that measures less than 10m in any direction, except possibly...
  8. Replies
    Views

Surviving Lockdown

Lockdown isn't all bad. Among other things, I've learned to bake bread, built a new cupboard – and formed a mandolin orchestra. We still need a bit of tightening up but here's a Finnish polska...
  9. Re: La Machine and Andy Cutting (no mandolins though)

A pair of French schottisches. The first one is La Sansonette ('The Starling') https://thesession.org/tunes/2636 , composed by Dominique Forges. The second one is very familiar to me (traditional,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Hornpipe rhythm

Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly enough. I did not mean to suggest that the hornpipe in the Deb Chalmers clip was in any way reminiscent of a polska. I was referring to 3/2 hornpipes, which...
  11. Replies
    Views

@Aidan Crossey: No, it's not just you. The Tailor's Twist is a beautiful tune, with a beautifully fitting title - and The Showman's Fancy has a nice lightness to it. I've just listened to the John...
  12. Replies
    Views

See previous post

https://youtu.be/MvRgderOXuM
  13. Replies
    Views

Here are a few examples of hornpipes played by Irish musicians. They range from very slightly 'swung' in the first couple of examples (perhaps 4:3 ~ 3:2), through 2:1 in the third, to very...
  14. Ceilidh Band in Lockdown (WARNING: non-mandolin content...)

...Those of a sensitive disposition, avert your eyes.

https://youtu.be/hJ59pXDz_6k
  15. Re: New to playing Celtic music but I see its big locally

I must apologise in advance for not directly answering the question asked - and I certainly do not mean to be negative about the mandolin (a forum dedicated to the mandolin would be the worst place...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

Unfortunately, my lack of forward planning means I can't make it. Public transport stops early to my part of Wales, which means I would need to organise accommodation in Birmingham. Pitching my tent...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Back in action

Some nice new tunes for me to learn on your site. I look forward to playing them with you sometime - I'll have to get south of the river on one of my visits to London.

Ed. - Something peculiar...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Sean Casey on mandolin

This is gold! Although I played with (or along to) Sean Casey in sessions many times, I only heard him play mandolin - my mandolin, in fact - once. (The only other instance of his playing I had ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The Blarney Pilgrim

Admittedly, I am not much of a heavy metal connoisseur - it was just a convenient name that popped into my head. I hope I haven't offended your sensibilities too deeply ;) . But the rock lead guitar...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The Blarney Pilgrim

More Eddie van Halen than Eddie Furey. ;)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ornamentations in a Jig

Sounding nice - and your self-appraisal seems fairly accurate. I would say, though, that I am not a fan of the little variation at 1:05, not even the first time round ;) - it deviates a little too...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Cameronian Reel

PH-Mando plays it in a bit of a hornpipey style but in structure, it's a very typical reel. It's unmistakably a reel the way these lads from Galway play it:

https://youtu.be/VCUOI2mH5gg
  23. Thread: Reel picking

by whistler
    Replies
    Views

Re: Reel picking

Coming from an Irish direction, it seems to me that, if you're going to play two successive strokes in the same direction they might as well be two downstrokes, since that gets your picking back in...
  24. Thread: Reel picking

by whistler
    Replies
    Views

Re: Reel picking

Even 1.0mm seems heavy to me. I used a Jim Dunlop nylon 0.88mm for about 5 years until, one day, I was mistakenly bought a bunch of 0.73s. I got used to them and have continued to use them for 20...
  25. Re: A weird typo or weird tuning? Low F# in The Frieze Breeches

Googled it! ;-)

Apparently, the revised edition was published in 1992 though. I have no idea how professional music publishers did their typesetting and printing at that point (no doubt nowadays...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4