Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Add a classified photo...

It has been a while and I cannot figure out how to add a photo to my classified add. Please help. :- )

OKAY. Fixed it!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Far East Man on eBay

I'm pretty sure Far East man is Woodman Instruments in Tokyo. That is probably the premier vintage shop in Japan which means it probably is the Premier vintage shop in the world. I won't even begin...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Next frontier: What's next after Mandolin???

I play 10-button Cajun Accordion. It is the perfect foil to the mandolin. Great music and the instrument is a gas to play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bw2fqgSXk

Below is the real...
  4. Re: Pac Rim instruments vs American made instruments ??

I forgot about my "vintage" so-called Pc-Rim instruments. I have a '77 Yamaha SG2000, black and evil looking. This guitar has a HUGE story behind it but I won't bore you. Suffice to say that this...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Decisions, Decisions

I had a 515 and it totally rocked...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Band Practice Etiquette

Nashville number system. You can't cut that then you need to go...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Primal fear of changing strings...

Here is the phlebotomist in question. Gotta click on the tiny picture for a slightly better view. Varnish + Red Spruce + Cumberland makes for a sweet KM1000...

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

I did some guitar swapping with Don over the past couple of months ending up with a terrific TriCone. He invited me down to his house and I was calling him about making arrangements the day he died....
  9. Re: What happens when a coked out rock star tries bluegrass.

I think this is fun. Why so condescending and uptight?
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings, need advice...

My friend arrived, we played some great music over the past four days and now he's back to Tokyo to meet his wife and take off for the Japanese Alps. This visit, he brought a mandolin with him, a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: loar lm400 upgrade kentucky km900

Yeah, what "Strings" said... ;- )
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice Interview with R. Crumb, mandolin player

Robert and I are old housemates. I remember December 1968 when he wrote up "Snatch" comics -- a small quickie. I collated and stapled a quick 500 copies and took them around Frisco and sold them,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you want out of your music store?

The Loar and a Brazilian D-45 were in a glass case above the retail section under bright lights. They were both heavily faded. No price tags, more like a ransom situation. Saw them last five years...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening-up", Myth or Fact?

Here's a novel test. Pretend you are a musician. A m-u-s-i-c-i-a-n... you know people who manipulate sound for a certain effect. They have great ears. Now play the instrument of your choice for a...
  15. Re: "What Did Bill Monroe Invent?"-- from another forum

That has been said about Muddy Water's band -- he made the music "Blues'" instead of playing the Blues.

I always thought Bluegrass and Heavy Metal had much in common -- I'm serious. Both take...
  16. Re: "What Did Bill Monroe Invent?"-- from another forum

Here we go again...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: CF Martin Article in NYTimes

I've owned at least 35 old Martins ranging from 1928 to 1969. I've never had a bridge crack. The black acetate guards curled up, the previous ones not so much. I've never seen a Martin neck pre-67...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: CF Martin Article in NYTimes

I am no fan of any Martin made since 1963 with the exception of the 1976 HD-28 and the recent run of so-called "Authentic" guitars. I have an '05 D-18 Authentic which is a decent axe. The rest of...
  19. Thread: sam bush

by bjewell
    Replies
    Views

Re: sam bush

I watched a rerun of a 1999 show of the Cumberland Highlanders on RFD TV last night. These are real backwoods pickers, Doc Mercer and his wife excepted. I'll take that over all the Newgrass in the...
  20. Hardly Strictly bluegrass Festival is Live Online

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2013/webcast/

Great, great music of all sorts of flavors...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Too pretty to play?

Okay, I put on my pearl-buttoned denim shirt, my old 4H belt with the giant "Silver Spurs" logo on the front -- thing really shrunk over the last 53 years go figure -- a new pair of riveted Lee...
  22. Re: Shouldn't all of these "bluegrass" threads be elsewhere?

Actually it's the other way around: General Mandolin discussions should be 100 percent about Bluegrass. We could have another page w-a-y down the list called "That Other Stuff Whatever You Call It."...
  23. Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Lots of sour pusses in here. As the gentleman in "Oh Brother" said after he was baptised, "Come on in boys, the water's fine!'

The more the merrier in my book.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: capturing that bluegrass sound

I need to say something here: This notion that bluegrass is a "deep south" music is incorrect. Kentucky is below the Mason-Dixon line but is in no way the so-called "deep south." Southern Ohio --...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: the mandolin in bluegrass?

Don't know about europe, but in the USA it is 100 percent about "authenticity." You watch the Cumberland Highlanders Show and you'll see folks out of incredibly small towns in Virginia, the...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3