Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Super Monroe Ebenezer Scrooge video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Cs2eis4Gw

Discovered this a while back and it's just so cool that I wanted to make sure others had seen it. Uploaded by Butch Robins. Really shows the continuous...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Farewell Trion

Have you seen this video of James and Carl doing it?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQabRQjXEw

They play the 3rd part kind of sparingly.

Z
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NPD - Wegen TF 100

I've used Wegens exclusively for years. Best tone to my ears. I have the TF100 but only really use it for guitar when it needs to be as loud as possible (ALAP!), like in big jams or playing to a mic...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: About the lyrics of "East Virginia Blues"

Something I always thought notable is the use of "East Virginia", which of course is simply the state of Virginia, also referred to as The Old Dominion. But this is used to contrast with West...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

Thanks for your continued hard work Scott. I'll miss looking at the guitar ads but I get it.

Cheers,
    Z
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-9 Discontinued

"Maybe they're discontinuing the F-9 to reintroduce the A-5 as a more affordable Gibson model."

Interesting thought but if they brought back an A-5 I'd expect it would be priced just as high (or...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying directly from a luthier

Besides what's already been suggested I'd talk to him about the set-up on your new instrument. Like if you know you like the action a certain way and a certain set of strings ask him to get it set...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Hurricane IAN coming

Take care Charley. Here's a link to a visible (daytime) satelite loop for Florida:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=se&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

You can toggle...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin is guitar upside down?

I was told that when I was first starting out on mando about 20 years ago. But I guess I've learned over the years that it's hard for me to imagine the two instruments being much more different. Just...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jams and Music Stores in/around Boone, NC?

Hey, if you're doing that trip again in the coming years wait a few days and head up to Galax Fiddlers Convention. The largest collection of red hot bluegrass and oldtime pickers and singers on the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam Etiquette re: Playing Mandolin Chords

Hey, late to the party here. I play a lot of oldtime and bluegrass both in jams and in band/performance settings. As many have indicated there are a lot of ways to skin a cat on the mandolin. A...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar flight case in overhead?

No recent experience with this but I would think with the way things are going with flights, boarding, overbooking, etc. this could be kind of a nightmare.

Z
  13. Thread: Tree planting

by mingusb1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tree planting

As an employee of the USDA Forest Service I feel compelled to advise against planting anything non-native. Here in the southeast basically all of the non-native invasive species (NNIS) - herbs,...
  14. Thread: 2020 Duff A5

by mingusb1
    Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 Duff A5

Thanks Daniel, I really enjoyed the conversation and thanks for posing my question. Paul, really fun hearing your voice and a little about your story. Your A-5 #231 is getting lots and lots of play...
  15. Thread: 2020 Duff A5

by mingusb1
    Replies
    Views

Cool Daniel! I'd be intersted to hear his thoughts on tone/attack differences he hears between his tone bar and X-braced instruments. Also, do you know if he's ever done any oval hole instruments?
  16. Thread: 2020 Duff A5

by mingusb1
    Replies
    Views

"Congratulations! Man, that’s a gorgeous mandolin. I initially passed on a Duff “Scout” F model, which was supposedly the only one he’s built with the back unbound and some other “Econo” features, at...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

18. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

It's verbing or nominalization that is most discouraging to me. The pages herein are jam packed with "can't wait for my new build"!
  19. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

I think you're going to like it Daryl!

Cheers,
    Zack
  20. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

I've got a 2018 A5 from Paul. It's excellent. I was talking with Andrew Marlin when I was shopping around for a new instrument and he advised something that stuck with me. Obviously there are lots of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

I did not intend to derail the poll thread with mention of the doghouse, but since we're there here's the one I play. If you turn on its side and sit on a bench you can sort of pluck it like a...
  22. Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

Why yes I do. Now, I've taken to packing up my vintage flattop after midnight at the fiddlers conventions to get out my modern/recent guitar for the rowdy early morning hours.

Z
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile can't chop chords

Part of what I like about older or more trad bluegrass mandolin is that the chop chords were often fingered chords and had actual tonality. Or they were open chords (or double stops) with some ring....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius Mandolins

Hey, I was lucky enough to get a new Rosine that that Oliver put up on the cafe spring of '20. It's an excellent instrument, I love it. And Oliver is great. I'm not far from Pilot Mountain, just a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Excellent tone Amanda!

Z
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3