Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital on Performance Today

Avi Avital's version of Beethoven's Adagio with harpsichord in E-flat major kicks off today's Performance Today. A harp subs for harpsichord. https://www.yourclassical.org/episode/2023/06/26/pt
  2. Samuel Charters's book A Trumpet around the Corner and mandolins

This is a history of early New Orleans jazz that came out in 2008. I'm only a third of the way through it and have some mixed feelings about it overall. It could only have been written by Charters,...
  3. Re: bridge recommendations for a Weymann mandolute

Thanks, Allen. I've got a local luthier who might have just the thing in his parts bin. The price on this one defied inflation—it listed for $200—which is why I couldn't pass it up. Wasn't even...
  4. Thread: Unknown banjo??

by Scot63
    Replies
    Views

Re: Unknown banjo??

I think Mike is right on the money. I have a similar one with the same kind of artwork on the back. When it came to me, it lacked a head and the person who had it intended to make a flower pot out of...
  5. Re: Are you interested in a new method for the mandocello?

That's certainly something I would be interested in. At least the outline of your approach seems sound. The one thing I might question is whether you would really want to pitch it to users who have...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings for an F4 - Medium Okay?

So, in 1921, gauges were much lighter. Structurally, as long as the instrument doesn't have structural issues, it can definitely handle that gauge. I bought an earlier 1910 F-4 that had been strung...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

That Courante was really nicely done! The tone of your instrument is very clear. I'm working on this same suite but have a long way to go.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Hartmann A Style Oval Hole

Nice voice on that one!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this a real Larson?

I think the word "Larson" should be changed to "MacGuffin." In many Hitchcock movies, and other thrillers (and, as Wikipedia points out, the holy grail in Arthurian legend), it's an object or device...
  10. Thread: Bowlback 101

by Scot63
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlback 101

While I've heard reports that reverb.com has had more quality-control issues in recent times, I've had good experiences buying (and selling) on the site. Owned and run by Chicago Music Exchange, it...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning up an old bowl back

I agree with Victor. That headstock shape is characteristic of late-nineteenth- to early-twentieth-century Lyon & Healey models. If memory serves, the alternating rosewood and maple ribs were...
  12. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital on Performance Today

A recording of Avi Avital playing Bach's Sonata in E minor back by harpsichord is featured on the April 3 Performance Today program. For your listening pleasure (click the Hour One link):...
  13. Replies
    Views

Fiddle tune request time

Whew! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_LhXKBSNi8
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Merrill aluminum bowl back on reverb.com

In my posting, I was going to add "I think Allen Hopkins might be one of very few owners of these instruments (and plays it regularly). Hope he weighs in." Glad you did!
  15. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital's Chaconne

Avi Avital takes on the Chaconne from Bach's Partita no. 2 in the July 18 edition of Performance Today. It's at the end of hour one on the website (some nice playing from guys named Thile and Ma...
  16. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: June Jazz tune of the month

BTW, that's not a Gibson L5 Django is sporting. It's a Swedish-made Levin archtop, and went up for auction last May. Not sure of the result, however....
  17. Replies
    Views

Notes on Music in Old Boston

Some interesting reading on the history of music in Boston, highlighting the contributions of Oliver Ditson (only natural, since the book was a product of the Ditson Company, now available for free...
  18. Re: Does anyone have info about these bowl-back mandolins?

I second Jim on the possible German origins of mandolin no. 1. The binding and pickguard are very similar to many versions made in the Markneukirchen region for several decades in the twentieth...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Oh, so that's what "overall wear" means. No wonder some would rather bid on Bill Monroe's toaster.
  20. Re: Thomas Morley: O Sleep Fond Fancy / Southernes Pavin

Thanks, Martin, for bringing such interesting repertoire to light and always having such high standards.Your work is an inspiration!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 1913 Gibson K-2 mandocello

No, I'm trying to play the Allemande from Cello Suite no. 3 in that pic. That wasn't the first (or last) grimace!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 1913 Gibson K-2 mandocello

The guy who refinished mine found two layers before getting to the original finish, which he said had been black. I thought about getting something closer to a restoration than a refinishing, but its...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: is the mandola the perfect instrument?

Perhaps this is a question for a luthier, but do the reasons Jennifer Stumm gives for calling her viola an imperfect instrument apply to the mandola? I love this video and think that I love my...
  24. Replies
    Views

1913 Gibson K-2 mandocello

Here's a pic of me and my 1913 (ser. no. 15250, if I'm reading faint pencil marks correctly) Gibson K-2 mandocello. It had to be refinished, since when it came to me, it had a heavy black lacquer on...
  25. Re: Very fancy bowlback mandoliin in great shape有&H?

Thanks, Allen! I really appreciate the insight. Yes, 44 ribs.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4