Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Happy 100th Birthday to the "First Fern"

73755.... July 9, 1923.... was a very good day for mandolins.

Happy Birthday to a wonderful mandolin that has made and continues to make wonderful music...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Pro Monte Players

There really just aren't that many Monteleone mandos out there...
  3. Re: Karasik jam with a 23 and a 24 Loar and 1918 Gibson L4 guitar

I agree ref the tone of the 23 vs 24.... however, some of that might very well be in the hand of the player rather than the instrument itself...
  4. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

Sorry, but if you are asking this question, I fear that you might be challenged in hearing what is in tune or out of tune at ANY time. The answer to your question is : you need to check your tuning...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Herschel Sizemore passes

here is a fairly recent interview with Herschel, by Christopher Henry.... It could be as recent as a month or two ago...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYuOSyZCn9Q
    John D
  6. Re: What up with the fretboard on this Gibson?

doesn't look right.... scroll, and protector points look dubious
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New and Vintage leather mandolin straps

sully's..... great guy to work with.... fantastic leather, straps made to order, or pick from his stock... worth every penny.... I have six of them from mandocello, on down to piccolo... his stuff...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Due

comment ref "not the same with mandolins" is TOTALLY a personal feeling of Mandobar.... others totally disagree.
  9. Re: Going from scooped to unscooped fingerboard

I have never really understood how some of the “pros” and accomplished pickers have gone for so long and developed their chops so far and STILL render bleeding ears from all the pick clicks. If you...
  10. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

it is indeed in the Photo... the fifth Loar from the front... in front of the framed picture that is mentioned !
  11. Re: Some questions about optional features on mandolins:

One option that many like ... a speed neck, or a bare neck stripped of any finish. Or never finished with varnish at all. I personally prefer a neck like that, but certainly a matter of choice...
  12. Re: Gibson F5 Hall of Fame Bill Monroe Mandolin

Generally a pretty darn good job of distressing as a match... pretty awful job of matching the tailpiece cover engraving...
  13. Re: Rest Strokes - a means to an end, or part of regular techniqu

there is some obscure guy that pretty much used this forceful down stroke/down stroke/down stroke "rest stroke attack work well for him.... I think his name was like.... Bill Monroe
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Solo Transcriptions 1936-1996

15. Replies
    Views

my ever lasting thanks go to you and your reflexes! that would have been a very sad day if you had bot been William on the spot. thanks again

if you didn't get to play it, that's a shame...i...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Interview with Tom Rozum

Tom has been a standard that has set the mark for so many over the years. amazing the amount of pure musical joy he has spread for so many over so amny venues, for so many years, on so many...
  17. Replies
    Views

Happy birthday to the “First Fern”. Wonderful sound, great soul, maybe the only Fern which never had a Virzi installed. Continues to play tunes for folks and jams here and there....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this really worth $70k?

What it comes down to..... what is it worth to you. End of story
    If the question is even asked, concerning a value, one can assume that the item is not worth it to the one posing the question.
    The...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Little Rock Getaway - Dave Peters

Amazing that in the entire piece the little finger is used only six times. I could be off one or two counts
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: help me build a pick set

you might get hold of one of the newer D'Addario Chris Thiele picks.... I have tried them along with the Bluechip and they have a really good feel, same thickness as Bluechip, a bit less...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Loarfest 2020

I believe the number of Loar signed instruments was 24
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz Tab

Bump on this. I worked this out years ago, but have lost it from my brain and from my tab files. Anyone have this?
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New case option

$50 if you go to outfit directly ProRockGear + $10 shipping *-
    PRG Armour Guard Mandolin Case
  24. Re: Is this a Normal curl? for a F5 Gibson? 1993 era.

NOT a Gibson peghead scroll... that is all one can say
  25. Replies
    Views

If you ever get the chance to AB two Loars with and without Virzi, don’t pass up the opportunity.
    That goes for Mandolas as well, although I think there was only one Mandola built without a Virzi...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4