Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Seattle Mandolin Orchestra: Virtual video of "Yes Yes Honey"

Some notes on this, as I instigated it, conducted it in rehearsals (remember rehearsals??) and produced the video:

- it required creating a reference track ahead of time (done by the arranger,...
  2. Re: Seattle Mandolin Orchestra: Virtual video of "Yes Yes Honey"

Yes, all this was patiently edited together after the fact, and yes, it was a chore.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mahler 7 Tonight (7/7/20)

According to CSO program notes, mandolin and guitar represent a guy serenading his lover.

A very long song. It's so annoying when composers ask us to sound bad -- Mozart asks the mandolin to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Take Your Pick

Eugene -
    I am updating my response re the Galli pick. I have continued to experiment with it on both the TI and Dogal stringed instruments. In fact I have come to enjoy using it on the TI’s...
  5. Replies
    Views

Today I received Caterina Lichtenberg's new solo album. It is extraordinary. Played back to back with Sebastiaan de Grebber's La Voce de Mandolino album and you have incredible examples of the German...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mongrel Technique

Got mongrel alright, not much technique. :))

I play primarily a modern Calace. Yes, I own a lovely Embergher but I have never gotten totally comfortable on an arched fingerboard; my padded,...
  7. Replies
    Views

I learnt using the Ranieri books, after an ad hoc grounding in folk, and would tend to play that era of music in his style and anything else with much less tremolo -although one lady did accuse me of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Wow! Deep! An impressed megamongrel!
  9. Re: Please help! Newbie looking for bowlback to learn on!

Our friend, David, does a pretty good job of explaining it in this thread. Have a look at the second post in the thread where he discusses the side view of the 1898 Vinaccia bowlback.

The first...
  10. Re: Please help! Newbie looking for bowlback to learn on!

PS: If you wanted to go really Revolutionary-War style, you'd pursue cittern types like the so-called English guittar: e.g., https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/guitars and...
  11. Re: Please help! Newbie looking for bowlback to learn on!

Well.....fair play to you.

I won't get into the topic of the appropriateness of the mandolin for a late 18th C context. Such questions have come up in the past with Civil War re-enactors thinking...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The perfect T-shirt

I'd wager so. Scardinius erythrophthalmus are purists like that.
  13. Replies
    Views

The perfect T-shirt

Some friends here may know that I make my living, my vocation is, as a fisheries biologist/applied limnologist. However, my avocation (part-time vocation) is "classical" music, especially on...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin album library list

This just in and super enjoyable:

Duo Zigiotti–Merlante. 2020. Marucelli · Mozzani · Munier: Opere per Mandolino e Chitarra. Tactus, TC 860003.

All performed using vintage (1892–1935)...
  15. Replies
    Views

Hello,

In fact the strings and plectrum developed first before the instrument changed.

After the First World War there was a desire to create a more German sound different from the brighter...
  16. Re: Duet No. 9 for mandolin & tenor guitar (G.G. Gastoldi, 1598)

Thanks, Rob! I agree these renaissance duets are good fun -- there are quite a few of them, by different composers, but Gastoldi's are among the most satisfying. I also recorded Morley's "There Was...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to find a Roman/Ranieri Plectrum?

As far as I know, Sebastiaan De Grebber uses a traditional Roman/Ranieri-style plectrum. Red Bear's were developed with his consultation:...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ranieri recording of The Swan

What fun.
    Listening to Ranieri play beautifully by delicately tapering phrases with flawless tremolo on this 90 year old recording is a real treat. Ralph’s own performance is as usual, delightful. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

Nice! Thanks for sharing: really well done!

I did a little of the same thing when I recorded the 2nd Cello Suite: I tuned the mandolin down a *half* step. Simple A minor just seemed so bright,...
  20. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Yes, thank you!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to find a Roman/Ranieri Plectrum?

I know Galli mostly for their classical guitar strings. I had no idea Galli was distributing Neapolitan-style plectra in celluloid. Thanks, Rob!
  22. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Assuming you're playing a tenor uke there, strung with a low G set of strings? That's what I'm working with, but only able to get mine down to C-G-D-A (which is cool because same as cello) but...
  23. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

The timbre really matches the music and very well-played. Now I have UAS.
  24. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Bravo, what a great idea! Sounds wonderful. Gonna pull out a uke and give it a try!
  25. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Rob, I have enjoyed some of your classical guitar videos too.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4