Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  2. New Forum Software Being Installed: all members must read

Starting this Friday afternoon at approximately 3:00 p.m. Central Time we will begin installing the next generation version of our Forum software. As a result, the Forum will be off-line for between...
  3. Replies
    Views

This is mind blowing....

A friend of mine sent me this picture. It's the best thing ever :))
    Btw, can anyone identify the mandolin?
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My KM 1050 vs other Mandos

I bought a used KM-1050 a while back and was underwhelmed. I think that I was expecting a Gibson sound to come out of it, and it didn't. I took it in to my preferred shop and had a setup done. It...
  5. Replies
    Views

Let us also not forget the adage that if you can't hear a difference, don't pay for it. Enough have liked the MK to illustrate the subjective nature of tone.

For me, a beautiful tone is not enough...
  6. Replies
    Views

Yes, the Kentucky has a much fuller tone than the other two. It's a significant change to my ears and I believe the Kentucky is worth keeping. Remember, your ears are used to your mandolins. Once you...
  7. Replies
    Views

I hear a more refined ,overall nicer tone with the 1st mando. I would definitely try different strings, and possibly consider a high quality replacement bridge, such as a Cumberland or brekke.
  8. Replies
    Views

I hear a huge difference also between the MK and the Kentucky - The Kentucky is much fuller. And, on the chop the Kentucky kills the Strad.
  9. Replies
    Views

Even with a phone recording I hear quite a difference in the thickness of the tone. With a good mic setup I suspect I'd hear more. But the fact of the matter is good mandolins aren't cheap. I...
  10. Replies
    Views

I had a 1050 and it was very good. When I got it the prior owner told me that it had not been played for a few months and would take some playing to wake up again. I was very underwhelmed at first,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a use for a banjo

Yes, I am all for keeping banjos out of the hands of both dangerous hillbilly-wanna-be's, and folks who have strong ties to pro-Deliverance groups . . . but if we let the authorities begin to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: "Brand New" 1930s Regal Mandolin

I saw that- you got really lucky!
  13. Replies
    Views

The Mandolins and Beer Podcast

Hey all! Hope y’all had a great weekend!

I’ve got a podcast staring up this Wednesday August 7th. The first guest you may be familiar with......David Benedict! Great guy and great conversation!...
  14. Thread: Heroes in a jam

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

Heroes in a jam

In Englewood, NJ (my old homeplace) ca. 2002.

Awesome.

2BRPOHUN02Y
  15. Replies
    Views

Ol' Time Atonal

Mando kicks it off. Best banjo solo EVER.

(I searched "atonal" and didn't see this. Apologies if it's already posted somewhere.)...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bought a Stradolin. Serial Number?

We've never been able to determine who made them although I have my suspicions. There were no serial numbers. There was a time when people were putting things like their drivers license number or...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for an office mandolin

If you are dead set on an oval, keep an eye out for an Eastman MD 304. I have a MD 305 and after doing a setup on it, it is a GREAT mandolin you can take anywhere and not worry about too much. And...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Beltone basic mandolin

Beltone didn't make anything, they were a brand name owned by a distributor. That mandolin was most likely made by Regal or Harmony and labeled for resale. I've seen these models before. You can buy...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for an office mandolin

Bump it by $50 and you'll have a great mandolin:
    https://themandolinstore.com/product/kentucky-km-150-mandolin-with-gig-bag/
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Where is Bluegrass Headed?

Hmmm. Not sure the three things you discuss are exclusive to bluegrass, enough to consider them defining characteristics. Recording affected all forms of music, flat-picked guitar predated bluegrass,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Wipeout on mandolin

Here a little video with tab showing how to play Wipeout on a mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoKnXWPkG0Q
  22. Re: Old Bacon Amateur Mandolin - looking for info

According to this Trails.com page,

"From bluegill and crappie to catfish, fish love the scent and taste of bacon. Whether you are bottom fishing or fishing close to the bank, bacon is an...