Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Having been far too deeply into Bach over the last weeks, I have to thank you for the lesson in counterpoint. Just downloaded the Bandcamp album and look forward a little warmth on a February...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy mandocello strings?

Just to add a final note to the survey I posted above:

A response from my query to Dogal:

Dear Mr Barti,
    our strings for Mandoloncello are developed on Italian mandoloncello round back with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Calace labels

"Fecerunt" is also Latin: "They made it" ...
  4. Thread: 1908 Calace?

by Joe Bartl
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1908 Calace?

If you look at this thread dealing with Calace labels, there is a label like your own in posting #13. The pick guard in your posting is lovely!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Busato Art Deco Banjo Mandolin

I was proud of myself for having resisted the Maccafferi boatback discussed in another forum: My New Year's resolution was holding firm! Now? I intend to start a new thread: "Banjo Mandolins of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Vinaccia mandola

You might start with this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koD3gBLUEDQ

Re strings, for those with better info than I, note that according to this video, this is meant to have...
  7. Re: What would you pay for this Meinel & Herold bowlback?

I love mandolins, and lions, and mandolions ...

Where is this instrument being sold?

Thanks,

Joe Bartl
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Banjo mandolin.
  9. Re: Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

As a matter of personal taste, what I liked in this video, apart from the excellence of the musicianship, was actually hearing what sounded like an acoustic instrument in my room ... as opposed to an...
  10. Replies
    Views

Caliper precision vs. what's on the box

Perhaps a naive question, but it won't be my first or last:

I expect that the strings on the mandocello I recently acquired are D'Addario J78s: 74-48-34-22.

If I use my caliper to measure the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Polymandolinist though I be, I, like Jim G., have become devoted to my '24 A4 snakehead mit virzi (not chocolate tuners but the pearly ones with the silver bumps). I've tuned down all my other...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Transitioning to a Bowlback

I, too, find the note regarding bowlback wide necks puzzling. I've never seen a bowlback mandolin with a wide neck.

Regarding the slippery factor:...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes that lend themselves to tremolo

What they said! Waltzes and Italian songs. I recently bought this 4-volume set (mentioned in a different thread) for the purpose of tremolo practice:

Though there are certainly many...
  14. Re: Music Tab for "indifference" Gypsy Jazz Waltz

Thanks for Tony Murena's rendition! Though my fingers will never move that fast, I'll have to give it a go on my concertina!

FYI: following Murena, the Cafe Accordion Orchestra appeared on...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Age Mandolinist biographies

Thanks Eugene and Martin! I used Bone frequently when cataloging mandolin music in order to formally establish names in the database. Since leaving this activity when Covid reared its discouraging...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Cole's One Thousand Fiddle Tunes in pdf?

As for Harding, IMSLP is your friend -- link here.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me spend $10k

"Isn't the most reliable form of pleasure, Flaubert implies, the pleasure of anticipation? Who needs to burst into fulfilment's desolate attic?" -- Julian Barnes, Flaubert's Parrot
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning classical mandolin technique

I'd suggest you explore books by Marilyn Mair, August Watters, and the Calace method edited by Marshall and Lichtenberg.
  19. Replies
    Views

The After life of trees

I enjoy this Northfield signature artwork whenever it comes into view:

And so, I could not help being reminded of it as I read the last page of the July 14th Times Literary Supplement...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Jim, I can't offer a sound clip as I do not have the wherewithal to create one. This is a shame because the sound is certainly of a quality that lifts this above the level of a curiosity piece. I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Having just retrieved my own 1896 Calace from my luthier, who restored it to its former handsome and marvelously playable condition, it seems appropriate to use this forum to document it's existence:...
  22. Re: Old irish air on 1910 Gautié French flatback

The tune, the performance, and the loveliness of the instrument are all one. Thanks.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Paouris…fastest fingers!

Wasn't there a thread lately about how difficult is is to smile while you play? Mr. Paouris doesn't seem to acknowledge this difficulty ... or any other. I suppose if I could play like this I, too,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

Shortly after starting mando lessons about 25 years ago, I attended a recital by Tamara Volskaya. I knew then that my success at the mandolin would yet take several lifetimes.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

Leave out the Italians?!?!? I'm sorry, but in any accounting you should begin with the Italians and decide who to include from there ...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4