Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Ukrainian Mandolin - Fred Elchuk Winnipeg Manitoba

I'm reviving this thread because an Elchuck mandolin (1934) has come up for sale in Winnipeg. I've asked the owner to send me photos. Here's one.
  2. Re: anyone seen/tried a B&J two point like this?

I'm familiar with B&J, Sue. I don't think it looks anything like a Strad. I'm wondering if it's a pressed or carved top.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Hob Dye. On a Sawchyn Beavertail mandolin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXoP-XNnoNU
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Odd mandolin

Yes, I think a Belltone is a good possibility.
  5. Replies
    Views

Odd mandolin

Happy holidays, everyone. I noticed this very odd mandolin in a vintage photo for sale on ebay. The headstock looks like a Gibson; maybe the body is not original. Any thoughts?

Here's the whole...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Small Travel Size Mandolin

If I can, I take a regular mandolin and a carry-on suitcase; it all goes into the plane with me. If I don't have room I take a sopranino or soprano uke in my knapsack, with GDAE strings. No, it...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: f holes in a small flat top?

10 years old now, here's a video of the mandolin which I'm using on a trip to Denmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHrvoocjhg
  8. Replies
    Views

Sylvia Tyson playing a Regal Octofone

This photo came up on Facebook today from True North Records. It's a photo of Sylvia Tyson (then Fricker, best known as half of Ian and Sylvia) playing the Bohemian Embassy in Toronto about 1960. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin etiquette at Old Time sessions?

Some of you might enjoy reading the old time mandolin article I wrote for the Old Time Herald a few years ago. It's up on the mandolincafe here:
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: A 1930s hybrid mandolin?

More photos! These come from a short YouTube video about the mandolin orchestra. If you watch the video you can hear the owner, Olga, showing off her "homemade" mandolin ( about 1 minute 40 seconds...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: A 1930s hybrid mandolin?

This is a long dormant threat but I just came across two more photos of the Porayko mandolin shown in post #38. Thought I'd share it.
  12. Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Hi from Toronto. If you buy a Seagull (personally I wouldn't) or a starter like Epiphone (there are always a few on Kijiji) you will want a better mandolin in a year's time. If you can wait for a...
  13. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Well, my friend was glad to sell me the fiddle. I spent a happy half hour playing this morning. Glad it's settled. And I had an email from a jamming friend who's been fiddling for a couple of years...
  14. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

So I took the fiddle to my jam last night and a couple of fiddlers tried it out. They both liked it just fine and it sounded great when they played it. Said it had the right sound for the music. ....
  15. Re: Do I round off my bridge or stop touching it?

I've always rounded mine.
  16. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

DougC, I asked here because I know there are a lot of mandolin players who are also fiddlers. I have enjoyed the responses, not thinking they were expert advice but players' opinions. I wasn't on...
  17. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

I'm hoping one or two fiddlers will be at the jam tonight and can try it, including one who's a luthier. I've done a lot of mandolin and guitar repair and it looks ok to me. I've also googled about...
  18. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Hi, thanks all. In fact, I put Helicores on it yesterday and they certainly made it sound better. Now this fiddle still belongs to my friend and I believe she's happy to have me play it but I don't...
  19. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Hey all, I lost track of my own thread! Thanks for the advice, all. I'm continuing to improve by leaps and bounds (as one does at the start!). So there was a used Eastman fiddle at the local large...
  20. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Bren, my intention was to play just for myself, probably waltzes and slow tunes, and not jam with it. My friends encouraged me to play in the jam so I have and I think it was a good learning...
  21. violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Hi all,
    Does it make sense to start playing the fiddle at 65? I guess so, since I have and am having a lot of fun. Brought it to the weekly jam a couple of times now. So I'm playing a beginner...
  22. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

Marty, are those recent Passernigs? Do you know if he's still building? I haven't heard about him for a couple of years or seen any new instruments for sale. (Just wondering--already have one.)
  23. interesting old flat top with a 'scroll'

This is for sale locally, I haven't seen it myself but just the pic. Looks handmade, I'd guess. Anyone seeing anything resembling it? Sort of a take on the reverse scroll Regal. 203480
  24. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

I went on the same hunt and had 4 different mandolins sent to me. I particularly liked the sound of the early 20s sheraton brown A1s (I think) a lot. But each one ended up having a problem--sinking...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Old photo(s) with mandolin

I like old photos that show how the mandolin has long been a part of 'old time' music. This one I recently acquired was sent from Plevna, Kansas, in 1914.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4