Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Aficionados

That's pretty much as definitive as you can get. Thank you both for weighing in.
  2. What's better than an original Keith Haring?

An original Keith Haring on a mandolin!

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/keith-haring-dapres_F044348959/

3. Re: Article: Crossrock Case Company Announces New Fiberglass Mand

Not sure where to put this but Crossrock has a new blog posting out with information that may be of use to those considering their fiberglass A model case.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

That mandolin I think it's the only model in the strad-o-lin advertisements or catalog listings that the bridge sits in the middle of the F holes.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What happened to this poor Gibson "A4"?

What happened to it is a matter for speculation but, as Gibson labels were invariably filled in in pencil and subject to fading, it appears that it’s been over-written - wrongly.
  6. Re: Yooper Creoles: Finnish Music in Michigan's Copper Country

I just ran across this thread, and I must say it startled me ;) .Thanks for the kind words, Ted Heinonen! Anyway, Eric is right: I do have a number of the Reko/Tikkanen CD's in the closet. Al Reko...
  7. Replies
    Views

Actually, Mike, SOLs are somewhat supernatural, and you have to be trained to see them at all. There are untold thousands of them out there, some of them with other names, built over half a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Strad-O-Lins are just cool and fun mandolins shrouded in mystery. I’m very happy with mine and I also like how my late 30s Harmony Monterey mandolin sounds. Inexpensive instruments can still make...
  9. Re: Article: Calton and Hoffee: The Top Two Names in Custom Cases

Let me guess, the merged company will be called "Coffee"? :))
  10. Replies
    Views

Well, SOLs are "handmade". And indeed it´s unfair to do a comparison of an SOL with f.ex. a Duff or Kimble A-5 (though I liked the tone of my SOL better than the one of an Ellis A-5 when I tried it...
  11. Replies
    Views

Time to buy a top of the line SOL or bring in one of your handmade mandolins. Unless you already brought in a handmade mandolin previously and that's why (by comparison) the SOL seems thin. I could...
  12. Replies
    Views

I am an avid promoter of a certain style of Strad-O-Lin mandolins. They have the comma f-holes. The body is slightly smaller than the average A shaped Gibson mandolin and - as far as I know - it was...
  13. Replies
    Views

Speaking Of Stradolins

I’ve never played or even seen a Stradolin. Would an enthusiast say that a good SOL sounds great…or that it sounds great for the money? I mean no offense to anyone or any mandolin.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Player Magazine!

I don't know if you ever listened to his podcast he did the last year or so of his life. If you haven't you should. It is priceless. It is near the bottom of his webpage at the link below.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Orpheum B/Strad-O-lin 1950s

It's a common style F hole, I've had this one for twenty some years. I don't think it's refinished, I had two with the same finish.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

For adding clarity to the information being discussed here, Dan Beimborn made an informative post about ownership (referenced above a few posts and touched on by others) during a discussion last year...
  17. Replies
    Views

Was away quite a while...

Clearly pretty out-of-touch now! Need to put some new strings on and start practicing again. Build up the callouses....still, the Ellis is great motivation.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Forgive me Mandolin Cafe Forum for I have sinned and recently purchased a used Derrington MM. Weird though, I don't feel guilty.

With that thought I'm bringing this back bcuz it's so damned funny....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

When I started working as the engineer for Gibson/Flatiron in 1995, in Belgrade, MT, Gibson had the majority of the domestic mandolin manufacturing and sales market. I believe it was something over...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

Something that worked for me, may not for others.

I'd been having intermittent joint pain in my fingers when playing music for some time and it fluctuated wildly. I was pretty concerned it'd be...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

I saw the title of this thread, and naively assumed "bal folk" was short hand for Balkan Folk music! Thanks to all those here who have educated me on what it really means.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Custom F-5G auction on eBay

Note from the auction about the label from the seller.

"On Apr-05-24 at 13:45:00 PDT, seller added the following information:
    ******* NOTE: The label shown from INSIDE the instrument actually...
  23. Replies
    Views

I've always understood the term 'bal folk' to just be a shortened reference to 'le bal du folk' which means a folk dance with 'bal folk' more or less referring to the dance music itself. I see that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Many thanks! :)
    VITRIFOLK NOTATION IS HERE and here are the respective MIDI FILES.
  25. Replies
    Views

There's no reason at all why a mandolin shouldn't be used in a Bal Folk, the thing is they tend to drowned out by louder instruments, such as accordions and bagpipes. At one point there was a band...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4