Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Etude Op.45 Nr.4 by Franz Wohlfahrt

My transcription of Etude Op.45 Nr.4 by Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884), originally written for violin but also useful for mandolin. In the preface to Etudes Op.45 the maestro says:
    If practiced...
  2. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

Here's my anon. French mandolin, likely from the first half of the 19th c. It's only a little anachronistic, and I still apply the historic stringing from the 18th-c. method books to it. Not easy...
  3. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

Neil notes that "Among the composers [Gualdo] played was Emanuele Barbella." Barbella often designated his works for "violino o mandolino," and his music was written for and certainly fits the...
  4. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

I'm old but wasn't yet born in the 1700's but I admire your interest in keeping it real. :)

I'd probably grab a bowlback with no brand name on it just for the look.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A Pair of Ceccherini's

Good new demo of the one that's currently for sale.
    https://youtu.be/mVP-vu6ffRM
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

A few nice nuggets of information from the site Mike linked to, filling in a bit more on the 20s scene in Chicago, particularly JR Stewart:

"The Le Domino model was the brainchild of James R....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Actually, Brad that is EXACTLY what I want to do. Produce a concert/talk where my group (Ecco Mandolin Ensemble) plays a piece or two on the L&H set and then another few tunes on my Gibson set. You...
  8. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the Mandola Books?

Tenor Banjo music is now written an octave higher than it sounds, i.e. The low C on the mandola is notated as middle C. That makes tenor banjo music accessible to mandola-ists
    Greg Keeing has...
  10. Re: What is the "Allure" of The Gibson Snakehead?

I agree 100%. Other obvious examples are: Short left-over F4/F2 neck blanks were used on f-hole mandolins in the 1930s on models F7, F10 and F12 (which moved the bridge further towards the tail piece...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the "Allure" of The Gibson Snakehead?

I think that is the accepted wisdom, and knowing the Gibson Company, it makes perfect sense. Loar left Gibson because the big prject to restimulate the market -- the F5 -- didn't go over with...
  12. Re: What is the "Allure" of The Gibson Snakehead?

I wonder why Gibson did not continue with the Snakehead in their A models? If at the time, the snakehead was thought to be a better sound then why go back to the paddlehead?

The snakehead makes...
  13. Re: Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

At some point a few months back some system someplace replicated some bad DNS information. It wasn't available in some places but was available elsewhere. This happens now and again. Hopefully Paul's...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Carnivale Of Venice

Here is another unreasonable set of Variations on Carnival of Venice by Valentine Abt. The unreasonable part is going back and forth between harmonics and arpeggios!

15. Replies
    Views

Re: Carnivale Of Venice

It's from the Nakano site:

:grin:
  16. Replies
    Views

Moralt, Le rêve d'un bal

Hi all

Just posted on my blog about a new discovery: a piece for (Milanese) mandolin and piano from München ca. 1850. It's dedicated to Johann Cramer, a mandolin player active in the royal chapel...
  17. Replies
    Views

Basic Mandolin Music Resource

Hello All,
    I feel sure this site has likely been posted but reminders are good. I'm a beginning mandolin player and was looking for some basic mandolin music especially laments, jigs, reels, and the...
  18. Re: 1st post on the forum, here's my lovely Portuguese Bandolim

Welcome! :)
    This is your vid:

https://youtu.be/sX3a9KIRwNY?feature=shared

You could try using mandolin or fiddle fingering by turning all fingers 45 degrees to the fretboard (all the...
  19. 1st post on the forum, here's my lovely Portuguese Bandolim

Hello guys!

After playing the uke for a couple of months, I've decided to dust off the old bandolim I had in the attic (that's been in the family for around 30 years but that I never played), put...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: links to abc/gif or pdf files?

Here's another one
    http://www.dmij.net/music.html
  21. Replies
    Views

recently discovered Loar K5 ?

I am already thinking of the atrocities I would commit to get my hands on that Loar

GXYG0Y12bNM
  22. Replies
    Views

Sorry, some but not a lot of lyrics:
    https://abcnotation.com/searchTunes?q=quebec&f=c&o=a&s=0
  23. Replies
    Views

https://www.montrealsession.ca
    This page lists all the tunes available:
    https://www.montrealsession.ca/listing.html?title=All%20Tunes&book=all
    This one lists tunes by author, including Quebecois....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: String gauge for Gibson H-1 Mandola

I currently string mine 12 - 20w - 32 - 49 or 50. It sounds strong enough for me. I've tried 22's and 34's also.
    Pete Ostroushko strung his about the same-- I measured the gauges of the set he...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

I just skimmed the article yesterday, but took away a few things that I already knew - sorta. At one point, I did interferometry and a few other things on a 1921 (?) Calace that Mike Schroeder had...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4