Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop chords help

Actually, gradually stretching *is* possible.

I suggest you play it 5 frets up, as a C chord. Put your fingers down and play it slowly (not chop) to be sure each string is fretted cleanly. Take...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

HI Folks, I am joined here on this Steve Winwood classic, as recorded by Blind Faith, by fellow Mandolin Cafe member and You-Tuber, the very talented Timothy Sweeney aka "tmsweeney". Timothy is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Tips and strategies for shifting

I've reviewed this thread on shifting vs position playing. It references the Sierra Hull video which shows a simple shifting technique.

I'm looking for additional strategies and exercises for...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickin' Buddies in New York City

For larger jams, here are the ones I know about or have gone to:

Sunny's Bar in Red Hook (Sundays) -- a fairly advanced jam with good players, at least a dozen at the three I went to
    The...
  5. Replies
    Views

Crusher turns 100!

Today I'm celebrating my old side-kick "Crusher" on its 100th birthday. We're both getting up (and hangin' in) there. I made up a new tune for us to play together, "Crusher's Cruise". I'm also...
  6. Re: Best way to learn to play Smooth and Clean (not sloppy)?

I think it’s important to work on one thing at a time. What really helped me was playing a lot of right hand exercises, with a metronome.

The hardest thing about mandolin, for me anyway, is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: R.i.P. Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins

Ha! :)) Arkansas does get a rap for being primitive (relatively), fairly or unfairly. President Bill Clinton is from there, and whatever may be said about him, he was brilliant - Rhodes Scholar, Yale...
  8. Red Carpet Waltz ( Pava A4 vs Collings MT2 )

Here's a little comparison video. Using a clean Tascam DR7 as a microphone into a DSLR. Thanks for the Listen!:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwM7Abmdnxc
  9. Collaborative Mandolin Instrumental Spotify Playlist

I made this playlist on Spotify that anyone can add to:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1VraDwx57KN0YxmG6gqN9z?si=ZKS0IwTQSDOgRf2gX1dusA

It is meant to be the start of playlist of mandolin...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

Nice Case. Colors look great together.

Adam
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

Beautiful case congrats!
  12. 5 Thoughts On The Right Hand And Fast Picking

Just a quick video I made for the start of the new year on the right hand and working up speed.

TKQfLbidNmg

If you have any burning mandolin questions let me know, i want this new video series...
  13. Replies
    Views

Bach Invention No. 11, BMV 782

Our son was visiting a bit over the Christmas holiday and before he left this morning, I was able to put a mandolin into his hands for a little bit and we recorded this at home yesterday. This...
  14. So I guess I'll practice scales some more....

I've had my mandolin for a month and a half now. I has been frustrating for me because, while I am no great shakes at all as a guitar player, on mandolin I am very much so a beginner all over again....
  15. Re: Best way to approach learning chords, vamping on mandolin?

The thing with chords is that they can be as easy or as complex as you desire, and the easy ones can be just as effective at their job as the complex ones. Personally, I prefer closed chord shapes,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Northfield Model M Tone

This first video is labelled wrong. It's actually an M model and identified as such at The Mandolin Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vn9O3bxtoQ

17. Thread: Arpeggio's

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggio's

Arpeggios are just playing the notes of a chord individually, one after another. From a theory prospective the basic chord (called a triad) are based on scales. Chords are made from every other note...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggio's

Indeed, the math in music shows the way. Chord construction leads the way to the melody. Arpeggios , whether major, minor, diminished , augmented or extended .... playing the scale patterns based on...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

playing along with The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Blue Rondo a la Turk".....this is where's it's at after one week of practice....it's not perfect but it's a fun work in progress.

20. Re: Fifteenth Anniversary of the Death of Charlie Derrington

More for anyone interested. Includes the video below and how it came to be in our sole possession.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Born on the 4th of July!

And a Happy Independence Day to American friends.
  22. Replies
    Views

New Pomeroy 2 point on its way

I am pretty new to the mandolin and to the cafe. I thought I would make a post. I reached out to Don Paine, to build me a mandolin. It is now complete and should be on its way today. In the way of...
  23. Learning The Basics -vs- Being A Slave To The Basics

Some examples of "teaching the basics" you'll see a lot when questions are asked:

Left hand position & technique:

Keep the left hand relaxed
    Angle the fingers like a fiddler would
    Don't choke...
  24. Re: Changing Keys in a Song...Can Someone Help Me Understand it?

Here is where a little theory can help a lot. The key is the home note, the note the song or tune wants to end up with. One of the reasons for changing keys is as you said to fit someone's voice. ...
  25. Replies
    Views

That famous cello prelude, deconstructed

I love this video of this cellist explaining why this piece is so very iconic and brilliantly composed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIge2mYdTtM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4