Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play these notes?

“I couldn’t play these parts as the example … sounded”

For the beginner, this usually means that you’re having trouble with your finger(s), on the fretted notes, muting the open strings. If that...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play these notes?

Double stops like this are actually a gift to the learner.

First:
    You only have to finger one note at a time because the other note is an open string. In part one it's the open A string and in...
  3. Re: How fun, I met my mandolin instructor - Sharon Gilchrist

Darnit. meant to post this picture.

bb

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me it gets easier.

I don't think anyone needs a teacher these days - anything a teacher could teach you, you can find online (often free).

I think every mandolin player needs a coach. Someone to lead them in the...
  5. Replies
    Views

It definitely should get easier over time - don’t work hard at it, work smart and easy. I second all the great advice given above. Check out my advice article linked in my signature, some of the...
  6. Replies
    Views

First - yes, over time it gets a lot easier to play. The more you practice, the easier it is to play what you've been practicing. It also gets a lot harder as you realize how much further you have...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Marlon Brando playing a mandolin!

Is it a STELLLLLLAAAAA ???
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Vice grip fingers

You mention your arm getting numb and fingers locking up - have you had any lessons with an experienced mandolin instructor? Less than ideal technique can lead to issues with the hands and arms and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand thumb soreness

It sounds like you're just pressing too hard and clamping down on the neck a lot. That's a common issue I see with students and, aside from thumb soreness, can significantly decrease your speed. If...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz

Cool what Sarah does with the octave in this clip. Oh, and Sierra and Molly are pretty good too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuW7sNyz-hU
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Lessons philosophy/discussion

This from Yo-Yo Ma has some profound insights on learning. You can skip ahead if to 10:38 minutes if is is too long. He also has insight for learning in his podcasts, including an outline for...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Lessons philosophy/discussion

Some comments on your beginner lessons philosophy. A less tactical and more strategic answer.

I would definitely try too hard. Just head down and go after it.

I think most people start with...
  13. Thread: GDGD tuning

by Ky Slim
    Replies
    Views

Re: GDGD tuning

I think this is AEAE. I'd say the big advantage is droning

dyFC7PZ6jiI
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Newb's first day

Welcome to the mandolin and the cafe!
  15. Thread: Newb's first day

by Kenny
    Replies
    Views

I’m barely in a position to give mandolin advice, having owned/played an octave mandolin for one week and a regular mandolin never. What CarlM just said fits neatly with what I was taught by a...
  16. Thread: Newb's first day

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

You should not be getting blisters. It should not be painful. As others have said have the mandolin set up checked.

The other is to understand how hard to press. Most people press too hard. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Welcome to the party LRDave. There has been a lot of good advice mentioned above. In my opinion, setting up your mandolin is the most important. It will help you accomplish everything else more...
  18. Replies
    Views

Ditto to all suggestions. I, too, started in my 60s and now am 6 years in. I hope you'll pay special attention to Louise's "B." I remember those early days how I would play through the pain of tender...
  19. Replies
    Views

Welcome to the rabbit hole! Check your wallet at the door :grin:

As far as practice, I'm a firm believer there's no such thing as too much. Just like a toddler banging his head, you'll stop long...
  20. Replies
    Views

Otherwise known as "your last day with a savings account".
  21. Replies
    Views

Welcome LRDave and congrats on your first musical adventure! You're in the right place. I would echo Pittsburg Bill's recommendation of getting a professional setup even though it seems like a lot of...
  22. Replies
    Views

I started at age 56 as a 1st instrument and I am about 10 years in. For me a couple of years of face to face lessons, followed by group jamming has made learning and playing a lot of fun. Enjoy.
  23. Thread: Newb's first day

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Lighter strings right away, at least until you get a good setup. If you have a capo put it on the first or second fret and tune the mandolin to standard, that will lessen the tension and should allow...
  24. Replies
    Views

Howdie, LRDave! I'm another newbie who started in my sixties (going on a year and a half now). What Ranald says strikes a chord with me. It's super easy to feel impatient to "be better", more...
  25. Replies
    Views

A. 63 isn't so terribly awfully old: you can do this. You're not the first to start in their sixties.

B. Blisters are bad. You sound like you had big fun getting them, but now you need to lay off...
Page 1 of 2 1 2