Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

Check out Caleb Klauder. He plays mandolin, as well as guitar and I think he may even do some fiddle. Anyway, he's got a very cool "minimalist" hat that looks perfect for a mandolinist.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Sue, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your wonderful friend and companion, Smudge. When I first met my wife on July 5th, 1969 (I remember the date well because I had just returned home from...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tango Radiante

That is way cool!!! A very appealing tune played by two artists. Thanks so much for sharing this!! My feet are still dancing.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando friendly music stores Portland OR

If you could spare one of the days you'll be in Portland, you could drive up to Seattle and visit Dusty Strings in Fremont. They have a great website that will give you a good look at the mandolins...
  5. Re: Mandolin in Uncommon Music Genres: Your Thoughts and Discover

I watched a short documentary on You Tube last night about Marc Savoy, Cajun musician and accordion maker. A little less than 20 minutes and quite interesting. Anyway, they were showing a couple of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite mandolin playing beverage?

Scotch from Islay! In order: Port Charlotte Heavy Peated; Ardbeg 10-yr old; Lagavullin 16-yr old; Ardbeg Uigeadail; or most any other scotch from one of the distilleries (8 or 9, depending upon the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: High Country Snows- Dan Fogelberg

Thanks, Alan!! The reason I asked about the fiddle is that in the background of the "Outlaw" video that was posted, there was a guy with a fiddle who (at a very quick glance) could have been Vassar...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for good acoustic mandolin album

The Skaggs/Rice album is as good as it gets--great tunes played by the best. John Reischman's "Up in The Woods" is a gem. For lots of mandolin goodies, the "Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza" is a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Temperature and Outdoor Gigs

Many thanks to all of you who have responded. Some really great thoughts and I do feel a lot more comfortable with considering playing the F-9. The Dillion is double-stringed and it has a nice feel...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Question on "tiers" of instruments

Joe, there are many others in the Cafe who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than me, and they're very good about responding to all sorts of inquiries. I feel sure you will get some really...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 Lloyd Loar at Elderly Instruments

Davey, I vividly recall the first time I listened to the Columbia "King of the Delta Blues" album of RJ. It was sometime in 1966 when I was stationed in Germany with the Army. I can't recall if I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 Lloyd Loar at Elderly Instruments

My thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and wise responses. As a senior citizen, any investments I make need to yield a little bit over the next few years--in 15 or 20 years the odds are vastly...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Played my first gig

I vividly remember the very first gig I played in front of an audience, though it was not on mandolin--I was a pretty good blues harp player at the time. It was late '66 or early '67 and I was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: MAS Strikes Again!

Thanks, Dan! I was spending some quality pickin' time with both of them this morning and I am slowly warming up to the side position markers. You make a very good point and I do think I will work...
  15. Replies
    Views

MAS Strikes Again!

Well, that devilish little imp fulfilled its mission after first striking me about two weeks ago. One day that week, I had come across a mandolin at Dusty Strings (Seattle) that was shown on their...
  16. Re: What’s going through your mind during a solo?

Okay, bear with me a moment, because this may sound a bit strange. But, I think all musicians (as well as athletes, craftspeople--well, pretty much anyone) can learn a lot from a writing titled...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: RC Cola And A Moon Pie

Thanks a bunch, Journeybear!! Takes me back to my younger days (late '50s, early '60s) in Indiantown, FL. As soon as school was out for the summer, us kids would head over to the baseball field and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What style am I hearing in my head?

My very favorite French chanteusse (I think that's the right translation of female singer) is Mireille Mathieu. She does a number of songs that certainly work for accordion accompaniment, but I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts

Though I am a bit newer to the Mandolin Cafe, it is a wonderful place to come in, sit down, be entertained and educated by some pretty darned awesome folks. Thank y'all for your willingness to share...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chord Finder App

My middle son is a trained chef and Food Services Director for a campus up in Seattle. He decided to make some boudin himself, and though we haven't been up there as yet and tried it, we'll see him...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Heard someone say not long ago: Dogs are proof that God loves us; cats are proof that the devil's on our trail. :)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Wakefield

Thanks so much for sharing, Marcus!! Love that link. There's just something about Brazilian music that strikes a real chord with me.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: From "The Pink Panther"

I believe the singer in that scene was Fran Jeffries.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

RIP, Nanci. I always tear up at the end when I hear her sing "Tecumseh Valley". Such a sweetly wonderful artist and person. So very sad.
  25. Re: What’s the oddest mandolin related gift you’ve been given?

Matt, neither of these qualify as "odd"--rather, they are AWESOME! My son, also named Matt, gave me two treasures for Father's Day this year: A copy of the classic Skaggs-Rice vinyl, with the cover...
Page 1 of 2 1 2