Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Gibson side bulging - looking for repair suggestions

No, too much risk of finish damage, and also not needed. Sometimes they have to be left in the torture rack until they respond, but usually they just push back reasonably well into place. With my...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Fusion 360 Users?

Hi Andrew. I'm a big admirer of your work. Thanks for the tip on the flat surface. I'm planning to make a binding router jig similar to yours when I finally get to that stage so I'm sure having...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

Larry Smart is making some of the best mandolins available out there. And unlike some of his more elusive brethren, he is happily taking orders and the wait is not years and years.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

I’m a big and vocal proponent of both builders, particularly if you like your new mandolins to look and sound old, but each will struggle to break into this list for the same reason: limited output....
  5. Thread: A new F-5

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: A new F-5

Beautiful Graham.

I wish more people understood and accepted the zero fret!
  6. Thread: Thermalwood

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thermalwood

Local persimmon:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice On Fixing This Binding Issue

Yours is quite a bit simpler than this one because you only have to deal with the surface veneer and not the whole side thickness like this one.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin side thickness

Agreed, but I don't attempt to keep them perfectly flat. It's sort of like the grill of a Rolls Royce. The slight crown, rather than dead flat, Keeps it from looking concave. There is also that...
  9. Replies
    Views

Useful tool from elsewhere

For getting at some things where a clamp won’t work, I had been looking for a tiny version of a ‘lab jack’, that is a scissor jack, and of course SM sells one that costs far more than my first car. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: D-18 binding (NMC)

Kevin's link leads to some info, but nothing specific.
    My usual method is to put little crescent-moon-shaped spacers under the binding toward the "humps" of the upper and lower bout. They're about...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Patterns in Sitka Spruce Top

Medullary rays are present in the wood regardless of whether they are visible at the surface or not, ray fleck is the figure at the surface of the wood caused by exposure of medullary rays. So, no...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Adjustable bridge ideas

I use hex nuts as suggested by David Cohen, and an interlocking beam that allows the moving top part of the bridge to be taller than normal. Taller means stiffer, in addition to preventing the...
  13. Re: Curious about bridge height, break angle and string gauge

I had a mandolin in the shop once for a set-up. The strings at the 15th fret were almost 1/4 off the fretboard. The owner said the higher action made it louder. I set it up like normal and lowered...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Steam bending ribs without a chamber...

BTW, this test was provoked by seeing pics / videos of bent mandolin ribs by some manufacturers/builders that appear to be insanely thick (some appear to be 3+mm or 1/8") yet the bends are perfectly...
  15. Re: Varnish finish - Awesome or more trouble than it’s worth?

IMO there is no noticeable tone difference between varnish or lacquer. Some of the best sounding Gibson mandolins are the ferns from the 20's and they are lacquer. Also, all of R.L. Givens mandolins...
  16. Re: New tuners to replace Golden Era tuners on a 2015 A mandolin

The thing that sucks worse than Golden Age tuners is the customer service from from Stew Mac since they sold the company to Champlain Capital and the new guys are straddled with millions in debt,...
  17. Thread: Wood binding

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wood binding

That's what I've done any time I used wood binding on a mandolin/mandola, not necessarily with purfling.
    Here's an example:
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Wood binding

Sorry if I sent this thread sideways! Back to the original issue! I have never put wood binding on a mandolin, although I did bind my first few guitars with wood way back in the 70’s. Almost all my...
  19. Thread: Ginny Hollon

by mcgroup53
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ginny Hollon

Very sorry to hear of her passing. We worked together a lot on Mandolin Magazine. She was a great teacher and advocate.

David McCarty
  20. Replies
    Views

Ginny was wonderful to work with...patient, thorough, encouraging, and upbeat.For more than a decade Mandolin Magazine brought attention to all kinds of mandolin players and luthiers along with...
  21. Replies
    Views

Oh no. I hadn't talked to her in some time but we had become friends, first through the magazine and then she had contacted me about building her a blue mandolin. I sent her my personal one so she...
  22. Replies
    Views

Ginny was a personal friend and jammed at my Sunday night jams many times. She was a sweet, kind and loving woman and taught fiddle to many, many students. She enthusiastically loved sharing the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece angle adjustment

Aside from the tailpiece not closing correctly if the angle is too low, cast or machined tailpieces (like Bill's) can impose a bending moment on the tailback and ribs in that area if they are set too...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Crushed stone for headstock inlay?

Recon stone is a good option. Or something like Inlace, though I think it ends up having a "Woodcraft Store Demo from the 90's" vibe.

Filling a cavity with crushed/filler inlay is actually harder...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Vacuum clamping

I have a massive vacuum setup that I mostly use for double basses & solidbody instruments. It gets used to re-arch collapsed tops and I also use it for much of my new build process. They don't have...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4