Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

First Gig, Collings MTO

While Old Time and Celtic are my primary genres, my indie band, Ninetimes, played its first gig at Ragged Records in Davenport, Iowa, for RecordStoreDay. The Collings MTO did me proud!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Acoustic Amps?

Can't thank you all enough for your advice and suggestions. With my budget where it is, for now, I went ahead and got the Fishman Mini Loudbox. If need be, I figure I'll eventually sell it and work...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Preamp to pair with mic (Shure SM94)?

Thanks, colorado_al!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Resting picking hand behind the bridge?

That sounds about right, Miltown. Mine stays behind the bridge, but I also have very large hands (I'm almost 7' tall), so with the pick pinched between thumb and between the top & center index-finger...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Resting picking hand behind the bridge?

Thanks, Seamus, this [and the thread] is incredibly helpful!
    Yes, I brush the heel of my hand, not resting. I hold my pick between my thumb and index finger with my other fingers tucked in, so it...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Collings MT

Very nice! I have an MTO and have thought of getting it an MT, as well. That white binding really pops!
    Hope it gives you many years of joy.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Today While Mandolinin

TWM, I made a big breakthrough in my right-hand technique.

After 1) Ditching my pinky-plant, and 2) Curling up my dangling middle through pinky fingers to join the others, my third goal was to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Jams; finding the 'right' fit.

Thanks, foldedpath, and all!

The jam was GREAT. I couldn't have had a better time! It was a private jam at someone's home. Didn't know anyone going in to it, but what a kind and welcoming group of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: In case or on stand?

Having a corner area in the living room with zero foot-traffic, my mandolins and b**jos reside there.
    My 1917 K-Style sits on the fireplace mantel (if we use the fireplace, it comes down and doesn't...
  10. Thread: No Way!

by Pick&Grin
    Replies
    Views

Re: No Way!

How desperately I want to ask them, "Is that a mandolin?!" #payback 😉
  11. Replies
    Views

Saw Sierra Hull Show

Sierra Hull played the Quad Cities, last night with Justin Moses (banjo, dobro, mandolin), and Ethan Jodziewicz (bass) and wow, what a show! All three were top notch and tight as a unit. A highlight...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone else window shop on here?

Oh man. A few times a day... at least!

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Because it hurts so good to dream ;)
  13. Re: Post your favorite clips from U-Tube, let's start a collectio

Saw this version of Squirrel Hunters while checking out that beautiful Poe #2 in the classifieds section. Really grabbed me and learned how to play it, yesterday. Great tune, and Nathan Redelfs plays...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Strumming/Picking Technique

Lots of good advice on here, already, but just to throw something else in the mix, another element of right-hand technique is the shape of your hand. This summer my mandolin Everest was training...
  15. Re: Am I missing the "point" about the Dawg-type picks?

I don't use picks with a sharp point (currently use a Dunlop Primetone 1.4mm Triangle ), but can't figure out my Dawg 2 pick. Tried playing with it a number of times, at various angles, but just...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Symposium photos

Great stuff! Thanks, Maria :O)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall Lessons Worth It?

Marshall is absolutely worth it! I use (and donate to) MandoLessons, too, and really like Baron's work. What makes Mike's program so excellent is the feedback that you get from Mike. On top of that,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Using external Mic on iPhone

Thanks MysTik! However, I'm looking more to use what I've got, rather than buy new equipment. Maxed my budget for anything more than an adapter. Thanks, though!
  19. Re: Played a Morris? Incredible. My Review of a Morris A4

Hey Dan. Thanks for this review. I've been taking notice of all the great reviews of Morris on here (greasing the MAS wheels!).
    It sounds really good: great cover of a great song. Keep enjoying!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Pickup. Which one?

I've been very happy with my K&K Twin Internal. They're around $70 on Amazon, but most people will need someone to install it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Free online video lessons?

This looks great, Brad! Thanks so much for doing this: I'm excited to work through your extensive catalogue. :mandosmiley:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Peghead Nation - Any users?

Hey guys,

I just started Mike Marshall's mandolin school on Artistworks and am very impressed!

The lessons are really easy to follow and most helpful (you can loop bits, as needed for...
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Makes you Smarterer

Here's a cool TED talks video on how playing music is particularly good for your brain. Lord knows I'll take all the help I can get! :confused:
  24. Thread: Opinions

by Pick&Grin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Opinions

I have nothing to say on this matter. ;)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Freezing when it's my turn to play

Hey Ron!
    Lots of great answers here to an excellent question to which so many of us can relate. I remember all too well what I called my "wooden fingers." Whenever I got the nod, my fingers would...
Page 1 of 2 1 2