Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What Child is This (chord melody arrangement)

The perfect start to my Christmas celebration - may yours be full of joy and inspiration, and may you find things to be thankful for everywhere you look!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jerry...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Custom Build Arriving Today!

The suspense is killing me...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

I just now heard the news. I took mandolin lessons from him for seven and a half years before the stroke ended his playing. He was my teacher, my mentor, and my friend. We saw eye-to-eye...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Oddly shaped mandolin identity

True, but it'd be one way to get that high lonesome sound. :disbelief:
  5. Oiling your pick: a tip from Albert Bellson

I have a friend who took guitar lessons from Albert Bellson many years ago. In a recent email exchange, my friend sent me the following information - I assume the 'narrow bar' he mentions is the nut:...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: If I Could Only Listen To One Player.

Hard and easy at the same time. I pick Jethro, with about fifty players tied for second.

Jerry M.
  7. Re: when the stars make you drool just like pasta fazool ...

When you cross a state line
    With a girl under nine
    That's immoral

(Rowan & Martin, date unknown)

Jerry M.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this instrument called ?

The newest generation Theremin somehow creates spatial 'steps', so you have room for error in hitting the right note. It's called the "Theremini", and its made by Moog Music; they have cheaper, more...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando-inspired Haiku

Powerball winner:
    all the Loar Gibsons are mine!
    alarm clock says no
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gig: Restaurant Mandolinist

I've long considered solo live mandolin to be excellent ambient music; I've never been paid to provide it, but the occasions I've played for pleasure have been happy ones. Good for you for grabbing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: NHD - (NMC) ... wood ID?

Two household tips for removing tape gum: (1) If you were able to pull off a sticky piece, or if you have a similar kind of tape handy, dab it on the gum that remains, and it will lift the gum off...
  12. Re: What's the weirdest MUSICAL thing you've ever done?

When I was a graduate student at Minnesota (circa 1975), a buddy who worked on a big mainframe computer asked me if I knew any computation-intensive calculations he could use to test out some new...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What Is Your Favorite Mandolin?

It's nice to reminisce...

In 1969, I splurged on a new Gibson A-50, whose 'voice' became my standard of how a mandolin should sound. In 1989, Peter Ostroushko gave some workshops at Homestead...
  14. Re: Post a Picture of YOUR Music Memorabilia - stuff from the pas

It was 1963 or maybe '64, and I was in high school. I had tickets to a musical comedy revue that was touring the country, but the girl I wanted to date turned me down, and I had no backup plan. My...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando-inspired Haiku

Like bells new strings ring
    Even wrong notes sound better
    Big dumb happy grin